PDA

View Full Version : Felix Hernandez Game Used Perfect Game Glove

kesseldawg
04-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Not sure if people saw this on ebay (link below), but I have done some research, looked at many photos, and spoke with the country's top glove-man, Denny Esken, and we both agree that it is highly unlikely that this was the glove used in Felix' perfect game. The reasoning for this, is that in order to stitch "El Rey Es Perfecto" on the thumb, Nike would have had to have taken the glove completely apart. Chances are, this is a glove made by (or on behalf of) Nike, after the fact. Interesting piece, and I am not doubting it could have come from Felix' brother, but used in that game? Highly doubtful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251503660715?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

danesei@yahoo.com
04-18-2014, 09:32 PM
If you check Getty Images for pictures of Hernandez from the game, the glove he's using isn't the glove in that listing. There are distinct differences in style and stitching.

beef
04-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Further adding to the research, this season his gloves appear to have a similar embroidery as the ebay glove. My guess would be that he ordered his gloves with this customization after the perfect game so it may be a glove made for him after the fact.

danesei@yahoo.com
04-28-2014, 07:52 PM
The seller messaged me on eBay that he was getting the glove authenticated by MLB. I said that's not possible, since MLB authentication for game use requires the representative to witness the item being used. He responded by saying that MLB has authenticated game used items that were submitted in the past. After saying I've never heard of such a thing, he retorted with a succinct:

"I work in MLB"

So, that's it. Obviously the glove is what he says it is, since he works in (according to him) MLB.

kesseldawg
04-30-2014, 07:15 PM
The seller doesn't work in MLB. He had a real attitude with me too, when I tried to kindly point out some differences in the gloves. He works (or was working) for a minor league team. If you sell hotdogs at Yankee Stadium, do you work in MLB? Reminds me of the joke about the guy who walks behind the elephants at the circus, cleaning up their poop saying "Man, I love show business!"