PDA

View Full Version : Email Exchange Courtesy

MarlinsFan1993
04-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Hey guys just wanted to see how you all feel about this topic. I realize it may seem a bit petty but it's happened to me on enough occasions that it irks me.

Whenever someone emails me about a game used item, be it to ask about buying it, wanting to know more info, etc. I always answer the email and do my best provide the best information. What irks me, is that at times once you answer that first email most folks never reply back even with a simple thank you. The most upsetting part is that most often times the initial email is the emailer asking for something. To me it's just a simple notion of common courtesy, if you ask for something of someone have the decency to thank them after you have received your response.

Am I wrong in expecting a follow up response after I have provide a reply to an email? (Which most often is in response to someone contacting me and asking me about an item)

Lastly this post is not directed at anyone in particular as I have had the scenario happen to me on several occasions... But if the shoe fits, run a marathon in it ;)

Hoosier39
04-24-2014, 10:52 PM
You should try listing a bunch of items for sale so people can email you for photos and then ignore you after you send them.

MarlinsFan1993
04-24-2014, 10:55 PM
You should try listing a bunch of items for sale so people can email you for photos and then ignore you after you send them.

I can imagine that must be frustrating as well.

Roady
04-24-2014, 10:55 PM
I don't get upset at the ones who ask about an item and then never hear back. They should say thanks but I have learned to ignore it.

I get upset at the ones who ask about it and email you back saying something like "I will let you know tomorrow." and then nothing.

I have one right now that did that to me 3 days ago. I will let you know in the morning he said. And nothing since.
That is after me sending more pics and doing everything to please him.

Some people are just rude and maybe they were not brought up to be respectful.

G1X
04-24-2014, 11:00 PM
Hey guys just wanted to see how you all feel about this topic. I realize it may seem a bit petty but it's happened to me on enough occasions that it irks me.

Whenever someone emails me about a game used item, be it to ask about buying it, wanting to know more info, etc. I always answer the email and do my best provide the best information. What irks me, is that at times once you answer that first email most folks never reply back even with a simple thank you. The most upsetting part is that most often times the initial email is the emailer asking for something. To me it's just a simple notion of common courtesy, if you ask for something of someone have the decency to thank them after you have received your response.

Am I wrong in expecting a follow up response after I have provide a reply to an email? (Which most often is in response to someone contacting me and asking me about an item)

Lastly this post is not directed at anyone in particular as I have had the scenario happen to me on several occasions... But if the shoe fits, run a marathon in it ;)

Esteban,

I agree with you 100%. It's a simple, common courtesy. If nothing else, it is letting the other person know that you received the information, photos, etc. Seems so easy to send a quick reply such as "Thanks", "Got it", etc., especially if you are the person asking for the information in the first place.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

dangerzone79
04-25-2014, 02:09 AM
It's completely ok the expect a reply. Not getting one to me is like holding the door for someone and not getting a thank, or letting someone get in front of you in traffic and not even getting a wave back. I'm not sure how people live that way. Saying thank you and being kind is easy, and feels good for both parties. But there's nothing you can do about it, unfortunately.

sportsnbikes
04-25-2014, 04:28 AM
I don't see it as a big deal and don't care if someone does or doesn't respond with a thank you.

Lunytune2
04-25-2014, 05:04 AM
I hate when you ask a seller a question and they ignore you , I am wanting to give the seller my money , so I expect a responce also !

MarlinsFan1993
04-25-2014, 07:29 AM
Esteban,

I agree with you 100%. It's a simple, common courtesy. If nothing else, it is letting the other person know that you received the information, photos, etc. Seems so easy to send a quick reply such as "Thanks", "Got it", etc., especially if you are the person asking for the information in the first place.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

Mark, I couldn't have said it better myself. Its not even just about the thank you its the simple acknowledgment of hey I contacted you about something, you provided a response and a follow up to let you know that I received your response. The "best" are when someone asks for me to try and help them locate an item, I say I will do my so, and then I never hear back. Guess what happens if I do come across that item...

PAC
04-25-2014, 07:29 AM
How about the ones who email you back and forth for DAYS...asking for pics, measurements, more pics, question after question, even more pics...tell you they want it...ask you to hold it until payday...then they go AWOL. After wasting hours of your time. Those are the best ones.

karamaxjoe
04-25-2014, 08:34 AM
This kind of stuff used to bother me, but I got over it quick. The nature of this hobby and the advent of forums just makes it easy to be rude. You don't have to ask buyers and sellers questions to their face, so why do you have to be a model citizen? Sucks, but true.

rufusandherschel
04-25-2014, 09:52 AM

In today's "It's all about me." society, the issue and question you have raised are not surprising. Sadly, the practice of common courtesy has become a thing of the past.

Jim65
04-25-2014, 10:38 AM
I think we have all been guilty of this, people are busy or just forget.

What bothers me is when someone has my money then ignores my communications.

Roady
04-25-2014, 11:15 AM
I think we have all been guilty of this, people are busy or just forget.

What bothers me is when someone has my money then ignores my communications.

That bothers me too.

short84
04-25-2014, 12:19 PM
I got a little tacky with the dude who listed the football stuff in the classifieds, specifically the Rams Harris helmet, and wouldn't even take a couple of seconds out of his day to respond to the many messages I sent him asking if it was still available. If you are going to list something for sale, please include your email address and then have the courtesy to respond. Also, on the flip side, I have had potential buyers ask for pictures and ask me to drop the price (which most of the time I will do) and then not bother to respond. I can understand losing interest or maybe while negotiating a better deal came along, but it only takes a few seconds to respond to the seller. If several people are interested in the same item, I will sell it to the first person who sends payment. I have learned the hard way that just because someone tells you they want the item and promises to send payment not everyone is honest and true to their word.

gingi79
04-26-2014, 07:00 AM
Esteban, I feel your pain. I happen to feel obligated to send a reply to emails I receive just because I was taught it was polite and proper etiquette to do so.

I know how busy I am, I can imagine other people who are collectors as a hobby have limited time to dedicate to replying, sending photos etc. Sure, it makes sense to be responsive when selling something, however, it also takes less than 3 seconds to hit reply and type, "Thanks, but I will pass" or "I'll take it" or "Thanks, I'll think about it."

Admittedly, you, Esteban, are my sole chance at getting Matt Diaz jerseys from Marlins FanFest so here's a preemptive "Thank you, sir" :D

Wrigley2010
04-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Esteban, I feel your pain. I happen to feel obligated to send a reply to emails I receive just because I was taught it was polite and proper etiquette to do so.

I know how busy I am, I can imagine other people who are collectors as a hobby have limited time to dedicate to replying, sending photos etc. Sure, it makes sense to be responsive when selling something, however, it also takes less than 3 seconds to hit reply and type, "Thanks, but I will pass" or "I'll take it" or "Thanks, I'll think about it."

My thoughts exactly Gingi. I always respond to every email I get which is usually someone wanting to purchase an item I displayed in the monthly pick up threads. I will say this though... I do remember those who haven't shown me the same courtesy I showed them and no longer give them the courtesy of a response or follow up. I guess that's my vindictive side getting the better of me :p