PDA

View Full Version : Braves & Cubs Special Logo Bases Question

tbone90
04-28-2014, 11:57 AM
I was hoping some Braves and Cubs fans could chime in with any information on a pair of logo bases recently on MLB Auctions.

The first base had a logo commemorating the 40th anniversay of Hank Aaron's 715 HR's. The Braves list the base as being game used on Opening Day and the MLB hologram says it was 1st base used in the 1st inning. The picture in the auction listing showed a clean base. Pictures are usually of the actual item on MLB so it seems odd that a 1st base would be in such good condition. Are there any Braves fans/collectors that can tell me if these logo bases were used throughout the whole game on Opening Day? And are the Braves using these 40th Anniversary 715 logo bases at all home games, selectt home games (Sundays maybe?) or on special date throughout the season?

The other base has the Wrigley Field 100th Anniversary logo on it. The auction description and MLB hologram state it was used in pregame ceremonies on April 24th (the actually 100th anniversary). I've noticed that all of the Cubs home lineup cards feature the Wrigley Field 100th Anniversary logo. Can any Cubs fans/collectors tell me if the Cubs used bases with this logo for the actually game? And are the Cubs using these logo bases regularly during home games this season or on spcial occasions?

If either team is using these logo bases in regular games I'd love to get a game used one of each. I've attached pictures of the bases in case my explanation was poor or confusing.Any information or leads would be greatly appreciated!

BamaHater
04-28-2014, 10:20 PM
The first base had a logo commemorating the 40th anniversay of Hank Aaron's 715 HR's. The Braves list the base as being game used on Opening Day and the MLB hologram says it was 1st base used in the 1st inning. The picture in the auction listing showed a clean base. Pictures are usually of the actual item on MLB so it seems odd that a 1st base would be in such good condition. Are there any Braves fans/collectors that can tell me if these logo bases were used throughout the whole game on Opening Day? And are the Braves using these 40th Anniversary 715 logo bases at all home games, selectt home games (Sundays maybe?) or on special date throughout the season?
I can say if they used the bases with the logo in the 1st inning, i'm 99% sure they would have used them for the rest of the game. They just changed them out every inning to have more to sell/keep as collectibles. Why only have 3 bases to sell when you can get 27. When the Astros had their final regular season game in the Astrodome, they changed out bases every half inning. I own a base from that game and as crazy as this sounds, it shows very light use. From afar it is hard to really se the dirt on the base.

sportsnbikes
04-28-2014, 10:27 PM
You'd think the 100 year bases would be used in more than one game.

coxfan
04-29-2014, 09:05 AM
You should check two things: 1) The number sequence in the holograms. If a number of bases were used in the game ( as is often done in special games) the holograms should be numbered sequentially. For example, if the 1st inning base ends in a"1" the next base should end in a "2" and so on through all that were authenticated.

2) The play-by-play on MLb.com or retrosheet.org That will give a good idea of how many feet crossed that base. I have a first base that's very dirty, and that's consistent with the fact it was used in a game with a 9-7 score and lots of runners. But I have a 3rd base that completely clean except for one spot of infield dirt, even though it was used for three innings. But that's consistent with the play-by-play, which shows it was touched by only one base runner, with no plays at the base.

Also, the photo is often not of the real item. Sometimes they run a disclaimer to that effect, but not always.

tbone90
04-29-2014, 09:10 AM
My feelings are the same, I'd think they would use them the whole game...but stranger things have happened. I've been through quite a few pictures of both games online trying to get good views of the bases without much luck. I'm a big collector of game used logo bases but they're tough to come by. The Wrigley Field 100th Anniversary logo has great eye appeal and I hope they use more thoughout the season. But much like the Fenway Park anniversary, the players, if they chose to, could use special logo bats just on the day of the anniversary.

Thanks for the input. Any additional thoughts and info would be appreciated.

Cubsfan4life
04-29-2014, 10:21 AM
I went through the database, and they used a set of bases in pregame and every inning, so 30 total.