PDA

View Full Version : USFL Generals on Ebay

genius
04-29-2014, 07:24 PM
My impression is that USFL jerseys are both drying up and getting cheaper at the same time, collectors holding on to them and memories of the league fading with not much new demand. I could be wrong of course and there are a few good ones on ebay now, here's a link and the seller has some others:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-85-USFL-New-Jersey-Generals-Bill-Cesare-Game-Worn-Used-Jersey-44-/141266548515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e4247723

Jim65
04-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Way overpriced.

I agree that USFL gamers are kinda drying up but to pay that much for common players is ridiculous.

G1X
04-30-2014, 10:43 PM
My impression is that USFL jerseys are both drying up and getting cheaper at the same time, collectors holding on to them and memories of the league fading with not much new demand. I could be wrong of course and there are a few good ones on ebay now . . .

I chuckled to myself when I saw the ebay post. Not so much at the price, but rather at the thought of a red Generals jersey of #65-Morini on my price list that I can't seem to sell at $150 ($135 when I am running my annual Holiday Sale in December). Every time I add a Generals jersey to my list (regardless of whether it is a red jersey or a white one), it will sell while the Morini jersey continues to collect dust.

For what it's worth, I usually have a few USFL commons on my price list, and they are generally in the $135-to-$175 price range. They don't fly out the door, but they move slowly and steadily. It seems like every time when I am about to run out, I stumble across a small collection to add to the list.

I mainly collect jerseys from the defunct WFL that was in existence in 1974 and '75, and it is a similar situation in that they also seem to be drying up and getting cheaper at the same time, collectors are apparently holding on to them (or died with them as that was a long time ago), and memories of the league fading with not much new demand. I just wish that I could shake some loose to finish off my collection before I get too old to care :)

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

genius
05-01-2014, 08:09 AM
I'd like to know where all of the Maulers jerseys are! So many stories...they were all sold at the Civic Arena auction, Baldwin High School bought them, ripped off the name plates, and played varsity high school football in them for a few seasons (even though orange was not a school color), etc.

holydiver5150
05-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Genius, never heard the story about the Maulers jerseys being used by a high school team, you have more details? I think I've only seen one Maulers jersey floating around the last few years and its nameplate was removed. I'm thinking it is, perhaps, the rarest of the USFL jerseys although a few others are very hard to find.

genius
05-23-2014, 10:45 PM
When the Maulers disbanded, they held an equipment auction at the Civic Arena. I used to think that collectors went and bought everything and therefore stuff would eventually resurface. But after years of nothing showing up I read somewhere about Baldwin High School buying the jerseys and using for years minus the nameplates. Main school color was purple, no orange but they bought the stuff anyway. Jerseys were likely just discarded eventually. I know of about 6 in the hobby with nameplates, very few seem to have survived. The ones without nameplates likely had a second life as a high school game jersey.

holydiver5150
05-24-2014, 06:07 AM
Appreciate the info. Interesting. I did see a Larry Swider #7 on eBay recently but it was only a team issued one. No nameplate. Was scooped up within a few hours of being listed on a buy-it-now. The other USFL jersey I can't seem to find is a 1983 home blue from the Arizona Wranglers. You ever see one of those around the hobby?

genius
05-24-2014, 08:25 AM
I've seen a few blues, not as rare as the Maulers. I sold Swider's away jersey in 1997, it was my favorite college drinking jersey back in the 80s! Sure would love to have it back! The ebay one was probably high-school used. When you take nameplates off of that material it leaves no trace of the stitching.

holydiver5150
05-24-2014, 10:29 AM
The Swider team issued jersey on eBay was not used by a high school team. The seller worked for the Penguins when the Maulers folded. Both teams were owned by the same guy. The seller told me the jersey was given to him by someone who worked for the Maulers.

genius
05-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Do you have a link to that auction? Would like to see it.

holydiver5150
05-24-2014, 12:06 PM
I didn't save the auction listing but I think I may have saved the pictures in the listing on my work computer. Flip me your email address and I'll check when I get back to the office on Monday.

genius
05-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Jflynn@hiddenlinksgolf.com, I'll send some archive pics too.