PDA

View Full Version : MLB jersey sizes

joe27
05-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Hi, Is it still true that sizes 42, 46, 50, and 54 are made only for team issued jerseys and not retail?

Thanks,

Joe

Chess2899
05-03-2014, 09:15 PM
This is a previous post from the site:

Originally Posted by xpress34 http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=349665#post349665)
Here's MY PERSONAL Definitions (Talking Baseball - I can't address other sports)

GAME USED : Worn by the player while PARTICIPATING in a Game.

GAME WORN : Worn by player on the bench during a game but player never activated during the game.

GAME ISSUED : Made (by the Team) for a player who never ended up dressing out for the game or never got the expected 'Call Up' after the jersey was made. NEVER worn by the player.

EVENT WORN : Made (by the Team) for a player to wear during a photo op or Fan Event (such as a Fan Fest) but not worn or used during a game.

AUTHENTIC : I'm guessing a 'Pro Cut' would fall under this - Made exactly to player specs (same materials, extra lengths, etc) but made to sell at the Pro Shop, NOT made for the player.

RETAIL Authentic : Same Materials as 'AUTHENTIC', but NOT made to player specs. General basic sizing.

REPLICA : Made with correct colors and fonts, but lower grade materials, generally heat pressed logos, letters and numbers.

KNOCK OFF : Made with better materials than a 'REPLICA' (stitched on numbers, logos, etc) but looks like crap next to an AUTHENTIC.

That said, things to look for in baseball jerseys:

Tagging: since Majestic took over, tagging that starts with '00' is either AUTHENTIC or Made for the Team (GU, GW, EU/EW, GI). i.e. 0062. If it ends with '00' it is RETAIL. i.e. 6200. (This is a General Rule of Thumb and there may be exceptions on occasion).

Sizing: I can't speak for Wilson, Spalding, etc, but as far as Rawlings, Russell and Majestic are concerned, sizing tags can tell you a lot.

If a jersey is sized S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL, it is RETAIL.

If it is sized 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60 it may be AUTHENTIC or Used, but these are the Only sizes available for AUTHENTICS.

If it is sized 38, 42, 46, 50, 54, 58 (the 'in between' sizes) then the jersey was made for the team's use. These sizes are not available for RETAIL. At this point you would need to determine GU, GW, etc...

That said, like anything in life, there are exceptions to the rule.

As an example, in the early days of the Rockies, they took and sold many jerseys for Charity and such and sometimes a player would arrive and not have the Jersey of the Day available. The Rockies staff would then go to the Diamond Dry Goods, grab a jersey off the rack, have them customize t on the spot and bring it back down to the player.

This has been documented via the Rockies and early jerseys that have surfaced with LOAs from the Rockies.

I hope this helps.