PDA

View Full Version : George Brett bat on eBay FAKE

gorilla777
05-04-2014, 09:30 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEORGE-BRETT-KANSAS-CITY-ROYALS-GAME-USED-AUTOGRAPHED-1983-85-T85-GAME-USED-BAT-/331192596178

This one is no good, stay away, though given the slow bidding it may be apparent to others already. I have seen this bat in person and the seam marks/ball marks are very light, surface level types. The tar just didn't look quite right either, nor did the number on knob. It was lower grade wood, not pro grade, which was confirmed when it failed PSA authentication. And looking at the listing now, the signature seems bad. The bat is being sold by Mike Schultz, someone you can read up on here in the Search Feature of the site. Other than that....

Ben

gorilla777
05-04-2014, 09:47 PM
There are 36 watchers currently, so surprised not yanked from eBay yet...

sportsnbikes
05-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Who is Mike Specht? HIs title on the LOA mentions Game Used Universe.

rufusandherschel
05-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Who is Mike Specht? HIs title on the LOA mentions Game Used Universe.
Mike is a GUU Forum moderator and bat expert.

sportsnbikes
05-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Mike is a GUU Forum moderator and bat expert.

He has authenticated the bat as authentic. Is there any reason not to trust his judgement?

gorilla777
05-05-2014, 08:24 PM
This is not even a faked pro model bat, so buyer beware...

gorilla777
05-05-2014, 08:27 PM
He has authenticated the bat as authentic. Is there any reason not to trust his judgement?

No, simply a mistake was made, it happens

MSpecht
05-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Here is some information on this bat.. I authenticated this bat in September 2012. The information as outlined in the issued LOA is accurate as it appears on the seller's current listing. However, the chip on the knob had not attempted to have been repaired at that time, .

This bat w subsequently appeared in a VSA Auction. After the auction, the bat was eventually sent to John Taube for additional authentication. In January, 2013 John issued a letter that indicated that the bat did not pass PSA/DNA authentication. There was only one reason given --- "Fabricated player use characteristics. " At some point after that, I spoke to John and we discussed the bat. Ultimately, we concluded that we had a difference of opinion about this bat. Given that, VSA Auctions refunded the winning bid, and paid for the additional PSA/DNA letter. The bat was returned to the original consignor to the best of my knowledge, Also, the signature on the bat was positively authenticated by JSA .

Ultimately, I suppose that there remains a difference of opinion on this bat between John and I. As one poster mentioned, "That happens sometimes." I have known John for many years and greatly respect him and his opinion. I have personally sent bats to John for authentication myself. For those of you who aren't familiar with me, , check out the Experts' Corner of the GUU site here http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=151 and you will find some enjoyable and educational blogs on the historical aspects of bat authentications and bat collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

rufusandherschel
05-06-2014, 06:58 AM

In my opinion, this thread just goes to show that (1) there can be 'honest' differences of opinion between two respected bat authorities, (2) they are 'opinions' only, and (3) other than possibly the player himself, no one/single person will know with absolute certainty whether a bat (in this case) is authentic or not.

To your question, in my opinion, "No", there is no reason not to trust his (Mike's) judgement.

sportsnbikes
05-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Here is some information on this bat.. I authenticated this bat in September 2012. The information as outlined in the issued LOA is accurate as it appears on the seller's current listing. However, the chip on the knob had not attempted to have been repaired at that time, .

This bat w subsequently appeared in a VSA Auction. After the auction, the bat was eventually sent to John Taube for additional authentication. In January, 2013 John issued a letter that indicated that the bat did not pass PSA/DNA authentication. There was only one reason given --- "Fabricated player use characteristics. " At some point after that, I spoke to John and we discussed the bat. Ultimately, we concluded that we had a difference of opinion about this bat. Given that, VSA Auctions refunded the winning bid, and paid for the additional PSA/DNA letter. The bat was returned to the original consignor to the best of my knowledge, Also, the signature on the bat was positively authenticated by JSA .

Ultimately, I suppose that their remains a difference of opinion on this bat between John and I. As one poster mentioned, "That happens sometimes." I have known John for many years and greatly respect him and his opinion. I have personally sent bats to John for authentication myself. For those of you who aren't familiar with me, , check out the Experts' Corner of the GUU site here http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=151 and you will find some enjoyable and educational blogs on the historical aspects of bat authentications and bat collecting.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Thanks for providing some clarity on this post.