PDA

View Full Version : Bidders Premium?

3arod13
05-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but I've never bid on anything from an auction house. Why is there a Bidders Premium? I win an auction for $1,500 and have to pay and additional Bidders Premium of $200+? What for?

danesei@yahoo.com
05-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but I've never bid on anything from an auction house. Why is there a Bidders Premium? I win an auction for $1,500 and have to pay and additional Bidders Premium of $200+? What for?

It allows the auction house to market its services as being paid for by the buyer, instead of the seller. It really doesn't make a difference, but it does seem to attract more consignments.

emann
05-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Essentially, between the seller's premium and/or buyer's premium, this is how the auctioneers make their money.

eBay does a similar thing if you've ever sold thru there, they only charge the seller though, so if you're only buying you might not notice.

If you read the auction rules before bidding, it helps to do the math to figure out the premiums beforehand as they vary from house to house.

jesusbestdeals97
05-12-2014, 06:24 PM
The bidders premium is there so that the auction house makes money, that is their form of making money, they auction off thousands to millions of items and they each have a buyer's premium..

3arod13
05-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Sellers premium I understand. Buyers premium I don't! Thanks for taking time to respond!!

danesei@yahoo.com
05-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Sellers premium I understand. Buyers premium I don't! Thanks for taking time to respond!!

Just think of it as a 35% seller's premium, of which, the buyer is responsible for 20%.

yankees506
05-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Tony, I've always felt they charge a buyers premium so that they are able to attract more consignments. The Attraction there is that the seller gets exactly what the item sold for, and the action house makes their money off of the buyer. They figure if you wanted the item bad enough to bid on it you will pay the premium

PwKw13
05-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Tony, I've always felt they charge a buyers premium so that they are able to attract more consignments. The Attraction there is that the seller gets exactly what the item sold for, and the action house makes their money off of the buyer.

Don't the auction houses normally charge a consignment fee to the seller so that they get less than the item sold for? I believe they actually make money off of both the buyer (buyer's premium) and seller (consignment fee).

gorilla777
05-13-2014, 11:30 PM
Don't the auction houses normally charge a consignment fee to the seller so that they get less than the item sold for? I believe they actually make money off of both the buyer (buyer's premium) and seller (consignment fee).
Yes, most of the time there is a commission.
So I consign something with 10% commission, that you then end up winning at hammer price of $1k. I net out $900, you pay a total of $1,200 (usually buyer premium is 20%) and auction house take is $300.

yankees506
05-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Yes, most of the time there is a commission.
So I consign something with 10% commission, that you then end up winning at hammer price of $1k. I net out $900, you pay a total of $1,200 (usually buyer premium is 20%) and auction house take is $300.

Wow, learn something new everyday!

3arod13
05-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Wow, learn something new everyday!

+1

danesei@yahoo.com
05-14-2014, 05:44 PM
That depends on the auction house. Some charge no consignment fees. Others, if your items are worth enough, will charge negative consignment fees. That is, they'll give you bonus percentage over the floor price.

yosef777
05-14-2014, 07:42 PM
It comes down to greed IMO, auction houses, ebay, etc. want to 'double dip' hitting the seller AND the buyer.

Masimen
05-14-2014, 08:22 PM
It comes down to greed IMO, auction houses, ebay, etc. want to 'double dip' hitting the seller AND the buyer.

Not that I am defending eBay, but they don't "double dip". Only the seller
Pays. As for other traditional auction houses, charging a buyers premium and charging a commission to the seller is age old practice. Not sure how it amounts to greed. They are running a business.

xpress34
05-14-2014, 10:07 PM
Pays. As for other traditional auction houses, charging a buyers premium and charging a commission to the seller is age old practice. Not sure how it amounts to greed. They are running a business.

Actually they do 'double dip' the seller - and really it's a 'triple dip'.

They charge the seller a Listing Fee - (1st Dip)

They charge the seller a 'Final Valuation Fee' - (2nd Dip)

They charge the seller a fee on the funds they collect (PayPal is an eBay company which is why they stopped allowing payment by check or M.O.) - (3rd Dip)

So the seller pays to 'try' and sell, pays when it 'does' sell and pays again when they get 'paid'...

Which is part of why Sellers tend to raise prices on eBay - to cover all the fees!

emann
05-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Pays.

Their "double dip" is forcing buyers to pay via Paypal (which they own) for all transactions. Add 2.9% to the seller to receive payment... I think this rule (and exclusion of money orders and checks) ended up alienating a number of sellers.

emann
05-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Their "double dip" is forcing buyers to pay via Paypal (which they own) for all transactions. Add 2.9% to the seller to receive payment... I think this rule (and exclusion of money orders and checks) ended up alienating a number of sellers.

I answered and then read Smitty's response—what he said! ;)

danesei@yahoo.com
05-15-2014, 12:05 AM
They charge the seller a fee on the funds they collect (PayPal is an eBay company which is why they stopped allowing payment by check or M.O.) - (3rd Dip)

This is not an accurate statement. Checks/MO aren't banned as payment methods for all categories, just most of the ones that matter.

Masimen
05-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Now I am by no means a fan of ebay/paypal fees. However, at the end of the day I think it averages out to about 13-15% of the closing price. If I have that wrong please let me know. When you consign to an auction house unless you are consigning in volume or have a very special item you are likely paying 10-15% consignment fee and you have the added cost of getting the item the auction house which for the vast majority means shipping costs. When it is all said and done the fees on the sellers side are going to be very similar. I just guess it all comes down to where are you going to be able to get top dollar for your payment.

loanapprover
05-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Not only do they charge fees on the final auction price but on the shipping amount as well. I understand the fees on the auction but the shipping irks me. I get a 20% discount on fees for being a top seller but it still ends up being about 10-11% for me when you add in paypal fees.

gtmsportscards
05-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know the consignment rates that the houses typically charge? HA, SCP, Mile High etc. Or who doesnt have a fee?

gorilla777
05-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Most of those listed are 10-15%, on average. You can negotiate lower, even to 0% sometimes, but you need to be consigning a certain level or value of items.

danesei@yahoo.com
05-15-2014, 05:48 PM
Not only do they charge fees on the final auction price but on the shipping amount as well. I understand the fees on the auction but the shipping irks me. I get a 20% discount on fees for being a top seller but it still ends up being about 10-11% for me when you add in paypal fees.

If you really don't like the fees, eBay does give you the option to accept CC payments through your own merchant account.

Honestly, I don't mind the 3%. It's 50 bps higher than my merchant account, but I'm at least partially protected from chargebacks. What irks me is that they charge 3% on eCheck and instant transfer payments. Those cost Paypal nothing. They should charge 0.5-1% on those, if anything.

yosef777
05-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Masiman, just because it is an 'age old' practice doesn't mean it is a fair or legitimate practice and as far as greed goes that is arguable depending on your definition, views on capitalistism, etc.

Masimen
05-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Masiman, just because it is an 'age old' practice doesn't mean it is a fair or legitimate practice and as far as greed goes that is arguable depending on your definition, views on capitalistism, etc.

Yosef, In your view what would be a fair commission for a brick and mortar auction house to make? I am just curious as I am not privy to the actual overhead costs of running an auction house. In looking at SCP's website for example, it seems they have 9 full time staff and I know they bring in some part time help for auctions, plus rent, photos, catalog printing and shipping, insurance, security etc.. So assume on average they are making 30-35% of final hammer price. Are you basing your judgement of greed on the fact that 30-35% just seems too high to you or are you actually basing that judgment off some working knowledge of their or another auctions house's business expenses? Again, I am just using SCP as an example.

danesei@yahoo.com
05-17-2014, 06:27 PM

Fair or legitimate? It's not a monopoly. You can consign to whomever you wish, sell it on your own or post it to eBay. Auction house are definitely legitimate businesses with business models that work for them. They can't legally force you to buy or sell through them, so they're fair, as well.

Mark17
05-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Fair or legitimate? It's not a monopoly. You can consign to whomever you wish, sell it on your own or post it to eBay. Auction house are definitely legitimate businesses with business models that work for them. They can't legally force you to buy or sell through them, so they're fair, as well.

Well said.

The free market works when it's allowed to. With so many venues to buy and sell, auction houses, to ebay, to craigslist, and the classifieds on this site, setting up your own website, word of mouth, collectors shows, dealers that will buy direct... If you don't like someone's fee structure simply go elsewhere.

And if you're complaining about high fees because you're out to maximize YOUR OWN profits, you end up sounding silly complaining about other people trying to do the same.

yosef777
05-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Danesi, I think you missed the point of my comment. I was not calling the auction houses into question (fair or legitimate) only the comment by Masimen, 'age old practice', as fair or legit.
Masimen, I have some knowledge of auction houses and their operating costs as both a consigner and a buyer. While we are all aware of the scandals within the memorabilia world many auctions houses are upfront, honest and looking to promote the hobby in a positive way. IMO, any commission an auction house wants to charge is fine as long as it upfront and open. My issue is when costs are added at every turn along the process via the 'fine print' or 'back door'.
Mark17, see my above comment to Danesi.

danesei@yahoo.com
05-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Danesi, I think you missed the point of my comment. I was not calling the auction houses into question (fair or legitimate) only the comment by Masimen, 'age old practice', as fair or legit.

Your statement was in reference to the practices used by auction houses.

If your intent was to question the legitimacy of the comment, you shouldn't have referenced the practices as being "fair or legitimate."

gingi79
05-24-2014, 02:37 AM
I'm happy for the piece of mind a buyers premium paid to an auction house gives me. It assures they researched and authenticated these items beforehand, giving me a certain extra piece of mind in addition to my research. That's how they sold this lecherous fee initially. Thank goodness this hobby has no track record of frauds, liars, cheats and misinformation. Can you imagine if nearly every major auction house had documented examples of, at minimum, shady dealings? Culminating in an FBI probe, arrests at the National and jail terms for auction owners?

Oh, wait....

Phil316
05-24-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm happy for the piece of mind a buyers premium paid to an auction house gives me. It assures they researched and authenticated these items beforehand, giving me a certain extra piece of mind in addition to my research. That's how they sold this lecherous fee initially. Thank goodness this hobby has no track record of frauds, liars, cheats and misinformation. Can you imagine if nearly every major auction house had documented examples of, at minimum, shady dealings? Culminating in an FBI probe, arrests at the National and jail terms for auction owners?

Oh, wait....

Nice post.

It is nice to know we have a couple honest auction houses to buy from.