Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metsbats
    • Nov 2005

How to record bat lengths?

I 'm compiling charts for Mets player bats and using a tape measure to record the bat lengths. I'm seeing that bat lengths are coming up 33 7/8 or 34 3/8.

Should I round up to 34 or 34 1/2 in these cases or just record the lengths exactly.

Thanks
    David
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.
  • metsbats
    • Nov 2005

Re: How to record bat lengths?

Originally posted by metsbats
    I 'm compiling charts for Mets player bats and using a tape measure to record the bat lengths. I'm seeing that bat lengths are coming up 33 7/8 or 34 3/8.

Should I round up to 34 or 34 1/2 in these cases or just record the lengths exactly.

Thanks
    David
    I have not gotten any bites on this question so I"m thinking i may want to rephrase it.

How accurate are the lengths recorded in HB records? Is a 34 " bat really exactly 34 inches or can come short at 33 7/8?

Are the record lenghts exact or just a range of lengths that a bat can be?

This may be a quality control issue?

THanks
    David
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• JimCaravello
      • Jan 1970

Hi David - in response to your question, I believe at least an 1/8" is tolerable and sometimes even up to 1/4". In weighing and measuring bats over the years, I have seen many bats that have to be from the so called "35 inch order" ( everything else matches - weight - finish on the bat - player attributes ) that actually measure either 34 7/8" or 34 3/4". I believe that a 1/8" - 1/4" delta that is acceptable. Hope the helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. jim

Comment

• 33bird
        Banned
        • Nov 2005

How about weight variation? Do bats tend to lose weight over the years? I know my Murphy bat with the Taube matched up in every way except in weight-it now weighs 30.1 ounces instead of 32 ounces. Is that common? Thanks.
        greg

Comment

• metsbats
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by JimCaravello
          Hi David - in response to your question, I believe at least an 1/8" is tolerable and sometimes even up to 1/4". In weighing and measuring bats over the years, I have seen many bats that have to be from the so called "35 inch order" ( everything else matches - weight - finish on the bat - player attributes ) that actually measure either 34 7/8" or 34 3/4". I believe that a 1/8" - 1/4" delta that is acceptable. Hope the helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. This certain helps!

David
          metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• MSpecht
            • Oct 2005

Hi Greg

Here is a link to one of several good posts on "Bat Weights : plus/minus over the years..."

Conservative authenticators will accept plus/minus 2 or 2 1/2 ounces while more liberal authenticators will accept plus/minus 4 ounces. Clearly the age of the bat has alot to do with it, as a bat from the 40's will have had more affect from storage conditions over a 60 year period than a bat from , say, 2002.

Good Luck.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

Comment

Working...