PDA

View Full Version : What is the most that over paid for an item?

jake33
12-18-2006, 02:13 PM
I was just curious on what was the most you over paid for a legitmate G.U. item, either that the player was a bust or just that you went a little beyond the worth because you wanted it bad?

www.jerseydave.com
12-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Easily my Jim Thome jersey.. I paid $1400.00 for it and I cannot even get a small nibble to purchase it for $600.00... thats the biggest loss I would/will have taken...

David.

richpick
12-18-2006, 05:44 PM
I bought a Black Alternate Game worn Frank Thomas White Sox jersey from the mid 90's for $1,195.00 a while back and when his career was in the dumpster (before last year) I sold it in a Mastro auction and it as far as I can remember sold for $600-700 somewhere around there. Oh well, you win some and you lose some at least the guy who bought it was happy

allstarsplus
12-18-2006, 06:04 PM
There are probably many that are too embarrassed to Post on this subject as I should probably be to admit that I spent $4,000 for a Sammy Sosa 1999 HR inscribed Cubs game used jersey. Sold it on auction last year for $1,400. OUCH.

I know Brett Herman can share how he was the recipient of Rafael Palmeiro Orioles significant game used jerseys in the post-steroid timeframe that the seller lost several thousands on as Brett took advantage of all the bad press Rafael received.

What do they say---timing is everything!

I think many people have learned on the selling and buying side that modern players values can fluctuate greatly based on several factors, but most significantly "major" scandal.

Andrew

metsbats
12-18-2006, 10:10 PM
You guys are making feel a little better about the 2002 Roberto Alomar home pinstripe that I sunk down $1500 for.

David

thomecollector
12-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Easily my Jim Thome jersey.. I paid $1400.00 for it and I cannot even get a small nibble to purchase it for $600.00... thats the biggest loss I would/will have taken...

David.
Got any pics of the Thome jersey ?

www.jerseydave.com
12-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Got any pics of the Thome jersey ?

Just e-mailed you some photos...thanks..

David.

PS, are you still interested in the Veterans Stadium #25 (Thome) stadium seat? I never heard back from you on it...

RobSteinmetz
12-18-2006, 10:55 PM
How do you think the guy who paid $42,000 for McGwire's 1986 home jersey in North Shore Sports 1998 McGwire/Sosa auction feels right about now? Or worse yet, what do you think McFarlane would get for his $3,000,000 McGwire home run ball in today's market? Ouch.

ironmanfan
12-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Or worse yet, what do you think McFarlane would get for his $3,000,000 McGwire home run ball in today's market? Ouch.

I agree that the market value of that McGwire ball doesn't get anywhere near that level though it's hard to argue that Todd McFarlane didn't get $3M worth of publicity for buying it.

RobSteinmetz
12-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Assuming the ball sells for $250,000 today (which I believe is a stretch), McFarlane would stand to lose $2.75 million. You can run a pretty swanky public relations campaign for that kind of scratch.

34swtns
12-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Mine's not too bad. Last year I paid $200 for a 1995 Chris Zorich Bears home jersey, team-issued and signed by Zorich. Just sold it for a paltry $93.01! I like to think that I "rented" it for a year for $106.99 to ease the sting.

bigtime59
12-19-2006, 10:31 AM
First off, let me say that I cry like a little baby at the losses I'll take if I try to resell anything I've ever gotten from a mlb.com auction...my wife just laughs at me as I bitterly complain about the "amateurs" driving up prices there!

Non-mlb.com...my worst buy has to be the 1999 team-issued Jerry Hairston Orioles #13 road jersey that I sunk $415 into at House of Cards in Wheaton...If I could get $150 out of it now, I'd be amazed...

hblakewolf
12-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Back in 1985, my Phillies contact told me about the next "Steve Carlton" in the making-a can't miss pitcher in the organization with amazing stuff who would take the place of Carlton. At the conclusion of the 1986 season, my contact had secured the "rookie" game worn home and road jerseys worn by this pitcher, and I paid $1,000 for the pair, remembering that this was a can't miss HOF'er. After sitting on the shirts for a couple of seasons, I finally dumped the pair of Bruce Ruffin jerseys for $400. What was interesting is that I remember that the Phillies gave Ruffin Larry Andersen's jerseys when he was called up. The jerseys had ANDERSEN in the collar, and the usual locally made block letter RUFFIN plates on back. Looking back, I'd love to have those shirts back and replace the nameplates with the original ANDERSEN.

I also lost my rear with another can't miss Phillies prospect of the mid 1980's, Jeff Stone. I should have known there was something bad on the horizon with him-he's the same player who declined a shrimp cocktail at his signing dinner with the Phillies. When asked why, he told those in attendance that he didn't drink!

On the flip side, I made back a few $$$ when my Phillies contact sent me a handful of 1993 World Series jerseys and bats. I kept the complete Dykstra road outfit (jersey, pants, spikes, hats, undershirt, fielding glove, batting gloves, and hat) and Kruk's bat with 1993 WORLD SERIES on the barrel.

As they say, sometimes you win and sometimes you don’t...........

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

suave1477
12-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Well we all know im a Darryl Strawbery fan, nothing new there. So lets just the money I spent ovr value to secure that I got his items and imagine the losses I will take if I ever decide to sell anything!!!

I would say 50% of my collection I got at a great price the other 50% I probably over paid for so I will say it all balances out.

TNTtoys
12-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Well we all know im a Darryl Strawbery fan, nothing new there. So lets just the money I spent ovr value to secure that I got his items and imagine the losses I will take if I ever decide to sell anything!!!

I would say 50% of my collection I got at a great price the other 50% I probably over paid for so I will say it all balances out.

Speaking of the Straw man...

Did you get to meet him a couple of wks ago at Mets Mania? I was there with a friend -- he got a signature, I didn't -- passed it up to get a couple of Mets that I hadn't been able to in the past like Aguilera and Magadan.

They were giving out flyers at the show for Strawberry's website, where you could purchase photos, DVDs, etc. I logged on later that day and saw a photo that I liked -- it was a nice Mets batting pose, inscribed with his full name including middle name and "86 W.S. Champs" below. I gave in and bought one... Now I am trying to contact them, as the picture came in the mail unprotected and got bent in 2 places. They have no listed phone number on their site and don't respond to emails... I'm not sure how this one is going to be rectified, but will keep trying.

suave1477
12-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi TnT, Actually I was at that show, when Strawberry saw me he gave me a big hug. He know's me for a long time so he has always been very sincere around me.
I had him sign one those Black Major League Baseballs he looked at and said he "never seen of those before" he said "This will be the first time I ever signed one of these" - so to me that was pretty cool that I got the very first autograph of his on the Black Baseballs.

I got Aguiellera, Magadan at the show and a couple of others.

As far as his website its more of a foundation site but oviously offers items you can purchase but it doesnt seem to be quite fully functional yet.

I love the picture they used for the Website but a bit dissapointed that they showed him in every uniform but the San Francisco Giants

Sorry to hear about the pic, it doesnt seem like they have a number listed

JETEFAN
12-19-2006, 01:59 PM
As a Yankees fan even if I paid $1.00 over the last 20 years on any Yankees stuff I overpaid, my buddy Steiner has convinced everyone that unless I have a Steiner cert. my stuff or anybodys Yankees stuff is garbage. Guess what, they believe him. I can't get a fraction of what Steiner gets even though my stuff is just as legit or in most cases more than his!!!! Yankees Items - Steiner Cert = 0:mad: :mad: :mad:

RobSteinmetz
12-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Although there is a remote possibility he'll still turn things around, I most regret paying $4000 for Mark Prior's game used glove. I keep the glove displayed in my sports room as a constant reminder of my own stupidity. The only redeemer is that I also sold several Prior game worn jerseys in the $4000-$5000 range. Ouch.

stkmtimo
12-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Although there is a remote possibility he'll still turn things around, I most regret paying $4000 for Mark Prior's game used glove. I keep the glove displayed in my sports room as a constant reminder of my own stupidity. The only redeemer is that I also sold several Prior game worn jerseys in the $4000-$5000 range. Ouch.

There have been so many Mark Priors that have come and gone through the baseball world and it really is sad when you think about it. While the jury is still out on Prior's career, there's no doubt that his stuff has declined in value significantly over the past few years. If only he wasn't so injury prone.

Tim

sandman02910
12-19-2006, 04:21 PM
I would have to say $4000.00 on Jonathan Papelbon's game used glove from the first half of 2006 and used at the All Star Game was a bit excessive to go along with $2500.00 for his 06 Game Used Home Jersey. As crazy as it sound I don't regret it at all. We will see what the future has in store for Mr. Papelbon. Excessive but not regretted.

Scott

Oil Can Dan
12-19-2006, 05:08 PM
I dropped around $6K on a David Ortiz World Series bat not long ago. Love the bat and all but that's a little nutty. Also dropped around $4K on a supposed 1992 Pedro Martinez jersey & pants in an American Memorabilia auction. That's a little crazy too considering there's no guarantee it's legit.

athletics61
12-19-2006, 06:36 PM
For me, I have to go back to the winter of 1994 when I sprung $1500 for a Charlie Hayes 1993 black alternate Rockies jersey. Beautiful jersey, but every time I see that jersey hanging in my closet I'd swear it is calling me a sucker. The black alternates are indeed hard to find, but one should be had for a fraction for what I paid.

Just something you learn from whenever you get that impulse buy feeling.

skyking26
12-19-2006, 07:06 PM
We all have our stories. I think if you are a collector, somewhere you have a story like ours. I have several. Biggest one is buying a McGwire GU BP jacket in the '98 Northshore auction. Came with a letter from A's equipment guy. Paid $1200 in '98, sold it last year thru American Memorabilia for a sad $325. If the wife ever found that out I would be done... Cecil Fielder was the toast of Detroit in the early 90's. By the time he left, nobody cared. Early on I bought a gamer for $415 from John Taube. Sold it years ago for about $225.

I think after nearly 30 years of collecting I have learned you buy what you WANT, not what you think is a good investment. Investments should be held to stocks and such. Everybody knows me here as the world's largest Kingman collector. Rarely sell anything - if I did I would likely take a loss. Have a HR ball, pretty cool, but nobody cares. Find it interesting that the one guy can't sell that Thome shirt. If Jim retires with 500 HR and no HOF, that shirt won't bring that money down the road - no way. Gotta be in this cause ya like it - not for the money.

jboosted92
12-19-2006, 08:54 PM
First Game used item i bought...of Patriots auciton (Ty Law game worn cleats) 500.00.... boy did I do some research after that!!!

timotswan
12-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Just a thought for some, but I checked into possibly donating to charity things I have bought and lost on and do not care about with a cpa and he said you can donate to charity and can possibly recoup some of your lossses through a tax deduction. You may be able to treat your sales the same way, as a long term loss, to go with another long term gain as it maybe considered an investment. Not advice but just an idea you may want to check on with your tax advisor for the private collector.

CollectGU
12-19-2006, 11:58 PM
I Also dropped around $4K on a supposed 1992 Pedro Martinez jersey & pants in an American Memorabilia auction. That's a little crazy too considering there's no guarantee it's legit.

Wow, I think that's a good deal for a rookie uniform. That will double as soon as he retires...

Regards,
Dave

TNTtoys
12-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Just a thought for some, but I checked into possibly donating to charity things I have bought and lost on and do not care about with a cpa and he said you can donate to charity and can possibly recoup some of your lossses through a tax deduction. You may be able to treat your sales the same way, as a long term loss, to go with another long term gain as it maybe considered an investment. Not advice but just an idea you may want to check on with your tax advisor for the private collector.

I went with the tax deduction strategy once. There was a fund-raiser / Christmas sale at my church, and they were asking for donations to be included in the sale. I let go a handful of autographed photos with COAs; all can be referenced in price guides for higher values than I can ever expect in the 2nd market. They were very thankful and provided receipts for everything. Not major items but nevertheless, it works, and is a win-win for everyone.

TNTtoys
12-20-2006, 01:34 PM
As far as his website its more of a foundation site but oviously offers items you can purchase but it doesnt seem to be quite fully functional yet.

I love the picture they used for the Website but a bit dissapointed that they showed him in every uniform but the San Francisco Giants

Sorry to hear about the pic, it doesnt seem like they have a number listed

An update regarding the Strawberry website -- The foundation contacted me today, and apologized for the mishap and offered to send a replacement. I believe I spoke to Tracy, who couldn't possibly be any nicer. The website issue was due to switching web hosting companies, and appears to be resolved today. I look forward to receiving my replacement photo and would recommend dealing with them to anyone. Just another piece of info that I may not have conveyed -- a good portion of the proceeds generated by the photo sales go back into the foundation to help autistic children.

suave1477
12-20-2006, 03:08 PM
TnT Great News I am glad things worked out over all I am actually going to try contacting them I would like a photo made up of the actual Home Page picture of the site. We will see what happens.

SSB15
12-20-2006, 06:24 PM
If you take a look at most of the replies, it seems that the items from the current players have a higher risk....

For example, I have a game used Sosa bat with the COA and matching Sosa sticker on the bat. If I sold it today, no one would pay me 1/2 of what I bought the bat for 3 or 4 years ago....

Scott