What is the most that over paid for an item?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jake33
    • Nov 2005

What is the most that over paid for an item?

I was just curious on what was the most you over paid for a legitmate G.U. item, either that the player was a bust or just that you went a little beyond the worth because you wanted it bad?
  • www.jerseydave.com

Re: What is the most that over paid for an item?

Easily my Jim Thome jersey.. I paid $1400.00 for it and I cannot even get a small nibble to purchase it for $600.00... thats the biggest loss I would/will have taken...

David.

Comment

• richpick
      • Oct 2006

I bought a Black Alternate Game worn Frank Thomas White Sox jersey from the mid 90's for $1,195.00 a while back and when his career was in the dumpster (before last year) I sold it in a Mastro auction and it as far as I can remember sold for $600-700 somewhere around there. Oh well, you win some and you lose some at least the guy who bought it was happy

Comment

• allstarsplus
        • Nov 2005

There are probably many that are too embarrassed to Post on this subject as I should probably be to admit that I spent $4,000 for a Sammy Sosa 1999 HR inscribed Cubs game used jersey. Sold it on auction last year for $1,400. OUCH.

I know Brett Herman can share how he was the recipient of Rafael Palmeiro Orioles significant game used jerseys in the post-steroid timeframe that the seller lost several thousands on as Brett took advantage of all the bad press Rafael received.

What do they say---timing is everything!

I think many people have learned on the selling and buying side that modern players values can fluctuate greatly based on several factors, but most significantly "major" scandal.

Andrew
        Regards,
        Andrew Lang
        AllstarsPlus@aol.com
        202-716-8500

Comment

• metsbats
          • Nov 2005

You guys are making feel a little better about the 2002 Roberto Alomar home pinstripe that I sunk down $1500 for.

David
          metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• thomecollector
            • May 2006

Originally posted by www.jerseydave.com
            Easily my Jim Thome jersey.. I paid $1400.00 for it and I cannot even get a small nibble to purchase it for $600.00... thats the biggest loss I would/will have taken...

David.
            Got any pics of the Thome jersey ?
            Roger Ward- Thomecollector
            thomecollector@verizon.net

Comment

• www.jerseydave.com

Originally posted by thomecollector
              Got any pics of the Thome jersey ?

Just e-mailed you some photos...thanks..

David.

PS, are you still interested in the Veterans Stadium #25 (Thome) stadium seat? I never heard back from you on it...

Comment

• RobSteinmetz
                • Jan 1970

How do you think the guy who paid $42,000 for McGwire's 1986 home jersey in North Shore Sports 1998 McGwire/Sosa auction feels right about now? Or worse yet, what do you think McFarlane would get for his $3,000,000 McGwire home run ball in today's market? Ouch.
                Rob Steinmetz
                www.authenticgamers.com
                authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Comment

• ironmanfan
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RobSteinmetz
                  Or worse yet, what do you think McFarlane would get for his $3,000,000 McGwire home run ball in today's market? Ouch.
                  I agree that the market value of that McGwire ball doesn't get anywhere near that level though it's hard to argue that Todd McFarlane didn't get $3M worth of publicity for buying it.

Comment

• RobSteinmetz
                    • Jan 1970

Assuming the ball sells for $250,000 today (which I believe is a stretch), McFarlane would stand to lose $2.75 million. You can run a pretty swanky public relations campaign for that kind of scratch.
                    Rob Steinmetz
                    www.authenticgamers.com
                    authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Comment

• 34swtns
                      • Apr 2006

Mine's not too bad. Last year I paid $200 for a 1995 Chris Zorich Bears home jersey, team-issued and signed by Zorich. Just sold it for a paltry $93.01! I like to think that I "rented" it for a year for $106.99 to ease the sting.

Comment

• bigtime59
                        • Nov 2005

First off, let me say that I cry like a little baby at the losses I'll take if I try to resell anything I've ever gotten from a mlb.com auction...my wife just laughs at me as I bitterly complain about the "amateurs" driving up prices there!

Non-mlb.com...my worst buy has to be the 1999 team-issued Jerry Hairston Orioles #13 road jersey that I sunk $415 into at House of Cards in Wheaton...If I could get $150 out of it now, I'd be amazed...
                        Mark
                        msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• hblakewolf
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

Back in 1985, my Phillies contact told me about the next "Steve Carlton" in the making-a can't miss pitcher in the organization with amazing stuff who would take the place of Carlton. At the conclusion of the 1986 season, my contact had secured the "rookie" game worn home and road jerseys worn by this pitcher, and I paid $1,000 for the pair, remembering that this was a can't miss HOF'er. After sitting on the shirts for a couple of seasons, I finally dumped the pair of Bruce Ruffin jerseys for $400. What was interesting is that I remember that the Phillies gave Ruffin Larry Andersen's jerseys when he was called up. The jerseys had ANDERSEN in the collar, and the usual locally made block letter RUFFIN plates on back. Looking back, I'd love to have those shirts back and replace the nameplates with the original ANDERSEN.

I also lost my rear with another can't miss Phillies prospect of the mid 1980's, Jeff Stone. I should have known there was something bad on the horizon with him-he's the same player who declined a shrimp cocktail at his signing dinner with the Phillies. When asked why, he told those in attendance that he didn't drink!

On the flip side, I made back a few $$$ when my Phillies contact sent me a handful of 1993 World Series jerseys and bats. I kept the complete Dykstra road outfit (jersey, pants, spikes, hats, undershirt, fielding glove, batting gloves, and hat) and Kruk's bat with 1993 WORLD SERIES on the barrel.

As they say, sometimes you win and sometimes you don’t...........

Howard Wolf
                          hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Comment

• suave1477
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2006

Well we all know im a Darryl Strawbery fan, nothing new there. So lets just the money I spent ovr value to secure that I got his items and imagine the losses I will take if I ever decide to sell anything!!!

I would say 50% of my collection I got at a great price the other 50% I probably over paid for so I will say it all balances out.

Comment

• TNTtoys
                              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by suave1477
                              Well we all know im a Darryl Strawbery fan, nothing new there. So lets just the money I spent ovr value to secure that I got his items and imagine the losses I will take if I ever decide to sell anything!!!

I would say 50% of my collection I got at a great price the other 50% I probably over paid for so I will say it all balances out.
                              Speaking of the Straw man...

Did you get to meet him a couple of wks ago at Mets Mania? I was there with a friend -- he got a signature, I didn't -- passed it up to get a couple of Mets that I hadn't been able to in the past like Aguilera and Magadan.

They were giving out flyers at the show for Strawberry's website, where you could purchase photos, DVDs, etc. I logged on later that day and saw a photo that I liked -- it was a nice Mets batting pose, inscribed with his full name including middle name and "86 W.S. Champs" below. I gave in and bought one... Now I am trying to contact them, as the picture came in the mail unprotected and got bent in 2 places. They have no listed phone number on their site and don't respond to emails... I'm not sure how this one is going to be rectified, but will keep trying.
                              Looking for ...
                              Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
                              Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
                              Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...