PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Item- '92 Yankees All Star Jersey

Eric
12-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Hey everyone.
Here's something that's being auctioned over on Yankees Steiner which I believe is not what they think it is.

It's a 1992 Road jersey worn by Roberto Kelly which has this description

During the 1992 season Kelly scored a respectable 81 runs and had 66 RBIs. This is an actual game used road jersey worn by Roberto Kelly in the 1992 season. A Yankees-Steiner letter of authenticity is included. Good luck!

But it contains this patch.

http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog2264/folder8004/img1644754med.jpg

Wouldn't that make this the jersey he wore in the 92 All Star game? He was 1 for 2 with 2 RBI in that game

http://auction.steinersports.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=65250728&prmenbr=55076099&aunbr=65597438

Vintagedeputy
12-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Well, technically I guess it was used in a game on the road during the 92 season, right? :)

2000mvpfan
12-18-2005, 04:39 PM
.....I think it just may be his All-Star jersey.He would have worn an away uni as the AL was the visiting team.That patch wouldn't have been on his jersey the rest of the year,as the only team that has such a patch all year is usually the hosting team (and even then,only on their home uni's),and after the All-Star game I doubt it would have remained on his jersey since it was not uniformly worn by every Yankee on the field(i.e.,Yankee All-Stars wearing patches,non All-Stars not wearing patches...I don't think this idea would've flown with George!).Just my 2 cents,but it seems like a great deal if it winds up going for the current $300 bid...

JimCaravello
12-18-2005, 04:50 PM
You are correct - that has to be his All Star Game Used Jersey. The game was in San Diego and Kelly played in that game. Just another marketing fopaw by Steiner - they do not even know what they have. $300 opening bid is reasonable for a Yankees All Star Jersey.

kingjammy24
01-05-2006, 05:30 PM
better late than never..

re: this jersey. i don't believe it's "just" his 1992 all-star game jersey.
i believe he wore this jersey in the first half of 1992, had the 1992 A.S. patch sewn on, wore it in the all-star game, and then abandoned it for obvious reasons and used another jersey for the second half of 1992.
i believe what the buyer got was a 1992 roberto kelly game-used road jersey which was ALSO used in the 1992 all star game.
why do i think this? look at the wear on the jersey, specifically the tagging. the tagging has the start of a nice pucker going, loose threads,
the poly tag shows wear. this jersey was clearly washed more than once.
do you think it incurred all that use in 1 game?

sometimes, for world series games or all star games, a player will either be issued a new jersey or use the jersey they've been wearing up until that point. kim stigall had a 1988 mike gallego with the world series patch and noted it seemed to have been used for the regular season as well. from the wear evident on this kelly jersey, i'd offer that he used it in the first half of 1992 as well, which would indeed make it a 1992 game-used roberto kelly road jersey.

Rudy.

astros*bats
01-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Actually, that jersey was won by forum member Jim Caravello. Maybe he could provide some more insite on it. Here's the link to that thread:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=737&highlight=steiner+kelly+jersey

-AJ

JimCaravello
01-06-2006, 04:57 AM
Astros*Bats - Kingjammy is correct. I received the jersey last week. The jersey has great wear - and was clearly used by Kelly in the first half of the season. The All Star patch was added and he wore it in that game. Its a great piece. Steiner never mentioned anything about the All Star Game - just that it was game used from 1992. What I won was a jersey that Kelly wore probably the entire first half of the season on the road, as well as in the All Star game. Great piece from one of the better players in the most recent Yankees "dead era". Jim Caravello