PDA

View Full Version : Question about hockey jerseys

bxbomber13
06-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Hello guys,
I rencently began collecting hockey GU jerseys. I noticed they have a number written on the tag like 2, 3 etc... The LOA states " SET 2". I wanted to know if there is a diffrence in value for the lower sets as opposed to the higher sets?I'm looking to buy a jersey right now but they only have a set 3 and a set 4, I was wondering if I should just pick whichever one or go for one in particular. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Guys

gingi79
06-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Set number has no relevance on value. Value is determined by wear, if it has a definite photo match and what was accomplished by the player wearing it, most relevantly while wearing that particular jersey.

The only time (to my knowledge) a Set #1 would carry any additional value (and even this is debatable) over a set #4 would be if it was the very first rookie jersey that player wore especially if they scored their first goal/assist/hat trick etc. However if the same player while wearing a set 5 jersey scored 7 goals in a game setting an NHL record and you photo match it, it would be way more valuable than the set #1.

bxbomber13
06-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the knowledge gingi.

BarryMeisel
06-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Hi Bxbomber,

I am President of MeiGray Group. We partner with nine NHL teams, and I'm happy to offer some answers to your question.

I agree with Gingi that generally the use on the jersey, and whether any historic or successful performances occur in the jersey, helps dictate if one set of jerseys ... or one player's jersey ... is better in one set than another.

Some collectors like the breakdown of sets because they often choose a jersey from a game or games they attended. That's another key to properly authenticating jerseys by set, and logging when those sets are used.

MeiGray keeps diligent records with all its partner teams.

With seven of our nine teams, we issue three sets of home and three sets of road jerseys per season. Set 3 is the set that is worn for as many as three rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, if the team qualifies and advances that far.

I am in Los Angeles now getting ready to authenticate the Kings' sets of Stanley Cup Final jerseys (MGG-partner teams wear two new sets of Final jerseys with the Stanley Cup Final patch in each color: One for marketing to collectors and one retained by the team for the players. We get the first sets, which are worn until one team reaches three victories).

So the Kings' Set 3 / Playoffs set is by far more desirable than Sets 1 and 2 this season because this was the set the Kings were wearing during their incredible run to the Final:

--Seven-game triumph over San Jose after trailing three games to zero, and winning Game Seven on road.
--Seven-game triumph over Anaheim after trailing three games to two, and winning Game Seven on road.
--Seven-game triumph over the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, winning Game Seven on road.

Hope this helps,

Barry Meisel, MeiGray

xsentrixsupra
06-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Hi Bxbomber,

I am President of MeiGray Group. We partner with nine NHL teams, and I'm happy to offer some answers to your question.

I agree with Gingi that generally the use on the jersey, and whether any historic or successful performances occur in the jersey, helps dictate if one set of jerseys ... or one player's jersey ... is better in one set than another.

Some collectors like the breakdown of sets because they often choose a jersey from a game or games they attended. That's another key to properly authenticating jerseys by set, and logging when those sets are used.

MeiGray keeps diligent records with all its partner teams.

With seven of our nine teams, we issue three sets of home and three sets of road jerseys per season. Set 3 is the set that is worn for as many as three rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, if the team qualifies and advances that far.

I am in Los Angeles now getting ready to authenticate the Kings' sets of Stanley Cup Final jerseys (MGG-partner teams wear two new sets of Final jerseys with the Stanley Cup Final patch in each color: One for marketing to collectors and one retained by the team for the players. We get the first sets, which are worn until one team reaches three victories).

So the Kings' Set 3 / Playoffs set is by far more desirable than Sets 1 and 2 this season because this was the set the Kings were wearing during their incredible run to the Final:

--Seven-game triumph over San Jose after trailing three games to zero, and winning Game Seven on road.
--Seven-game triumph over Anaheim after trailing three games to two, and winning Game Seven on road.
--Seven-game triumph over the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, winning Game Seven on road.

Hope this helps,

Barry Meisel, MeiGray

Barry, there was another thread you might be able to shine some light on. A member was wondering about how to get Stanley Cup finals Kings jerseys.

BarryMeisel
06-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Hi Josh,

I haven't found that thread.

MeiGray has been taking pre-orders for LA Kings Stanley Cup Final game-worn jerseys since the Kings won the Western Conference on Sunday night.

We have a few left at meigray.com ... or people can call MGG toll-free at 888-463-4472.

LMK where that thread is.

Thanks, Barry

xsentrixsupra
06-05-2014, 09:25 AM
Hi Josh,

I haven't found that thread.

MeiGray has been taking pre-orders for LA Kings Stanley Cup Final game-worn jerseys since the Kings won the Western Conference on Sunday night.

We have a few left at meigray.com ... or people can call MGG toll-free at 888-463-4472.

LMK where that thread is.

Thanks, Barry

Hey Barry,

Here is the thread.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=60678

otismalibu
06-05-2014, 11:59 AM
C'mon fellas...

they're sweaters.

bxbomber13
06-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Great info Barry. Thanks...

pungent
06-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Great post Barry, thanks for the information.

Collectors, say the Kings don't win the Stanely Cup, do their Set 3 jerseys become more valuable than the Final set? Or are sets used in the Finals always more desirable compared to those others used in a season?