PDA

View Full Version : MLB authentication game-used balls details

salukidave
06-04-2014, 11:00 AM
What year did MLB start including details about balls they authenticate beyond just listing the game?

BamaHater
06-04-2014, 01:46 PM
I think it still depends on the team who authenticating the balls. I know the Yankees just put the game in the description and make it generic from that particular game no details. The Astros on the other hand put the inning, pitcher, batter, and any further details like fouled down the right field line or foul tip.

coxfan
06-04-2014, 02:43 PM
It varies from team to team. The Rangers through 2006 only gave the date of the game. Their procedure, which I observed after a couple of games, was to have the authenticator walk up to the ball boy and to the security person assigned to the home dugout at the end of the game. The ball boy then dumped six balls out of the bucket where balls had been taken out of play, and the authenticator put them in a bag and took them toward the clubhouse. Games like opening day would have more balls authenticated that way. The ball boy was careful to be sure he had enough balls in the bucket for the authenticator, but would afterwards start giving them to fans. For that reason, it seems likely the generic balls were mostly from early in the game (thus at the bottom of the bucket).

Starting around 2007, they started to authenticate only special balls (such as those hit by Sosa.) In recent years, their policy is keep an authenticator in the camera well next to the dugout. He marks balls as they come out, usually comparing notes with the ball boy as he gives them to him, and marks their most recent use. Apparently, the Braves have adopted a similar procedure.

But the Red Sox, like the Yankees, still don't provide details beyond the date of the game. In 2013, 12 balls per game seemed to have been the Red Sox norm, at least for the September games.

BamaHater
06-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Here is an example of how the Astros do their Game Used Balls. This was from Jon Singleton's 1st RBI.

BATTER - JONATHAN SINGLETON, PITCHER - CHRISTOPHER WILSON, BOTTOM OF 3. BALL FOUR. 1ST MAJOR LEAGUE RBI JON SINGLETON MAJOR LEAGUE DEBUT GAME