PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Polanco GU bat

dteters
06-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Looking to see if anyone could help me out with the value of this. It is from this spring training with his #62 on both ends of the bat.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/dcthome25/64a51b0e7588f8c677374c0461e63a48.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/dcthome25/e71d335eb83d7a0c0849371c4056405b.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/dcthome25/22b8802e2237f63a933fb91a91de5e71.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/dcthome25/993711099a360fedf6759bf6d21c1aa1.jpg

danesei@yahoo.com
06-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Not outright dismissing the bat, but it might be a very tough sell, since this picture, which has a bat in Polanco's hand, shows the "62" written in a completely different (and a lot less "drawn") style of writing:

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2014/03/14/ca0,28,2000,1361/20140314pdPiratesSports03-11.jpg

danesei@yahoo.com
06-13-2014, 07:35 PM
The link is from the Post-Gazette.

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2014/03/14/ca0,28,2000,1361/20140314pdPiratesSports03-11.jpg

That's the image location.

PAC
06-13-2014, 09:59 PM
This looks more like the OP's bat

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0414/fan_g_polanco1x_600x600.jpg

PAC
06-13-2014, 10:05 PM
http://whatproswear.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/gregory-polanco-bat-glove-cleats-batting-gloves-sunglasses.png

PAC
06-13-2014, 10:06 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/mlb/images/2014/05/05/050514-MLB-Pirates-Gregory-Polanco-DG-PI.jpg

danesei@yahoo.com
06-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Thanks PAC. "62" on the bat you posted looks like the one I found, so that reinforces the notion that OP's bat likely wasn't marked as a gamer.

dteters
06-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Here is a pic from this year in Indy where he is using a Chandler bat.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/dcthome25/430893f86111552f4f97faf42035a7ff.jpg

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-14-2014, 08:39 AM
The OPs also lacks pine tar from what I can see. The two gamers others posted have pine tar

danesei@yahoo.com
06-14-2014, 02:57 PM
The OPs also lacks pine tar from what I can see. The two gamers others posted have pine tar

Here is a pic from this year in Indy where he is using a Chandler bat.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/dcthome25/430893f86111552f4f97faf42035a7ff.jpg

OP: As Travis pointed out, the two Spring Training bats both show pine tar, as does the bat you showed from Indy. No one mentioned anything about the bat brand, but that's another notion to consider. Based upon what's posted in the thread, so far, I'd say your bat likely isn't a gamer.

dteters
06-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the information.

Nnunnari
06-14-2014, 10:23 PM
Hey Dteters, your bat can easily be a legit gamer. There is not much info on Polanco's characteristics yet.
I have no idea what his bats are worth but I'm sure you can get someone to over pay for it and pick up a nice Cutch bat if you're a Pirates fan.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-15-2014, 06:21 AM
Polanco doesn't write his "2" like the OP's bat, though, and it looks very slowly drawn, which would be completely uncharacteristic for an equipment manager to do. Even if the bat was a legit Polanco gamer, the 62s were likely added by someone else.

STLHAMMER32
06-15-2014, 09:02 AM
Polanco doesn't write his "2" like the OP's bat, though, and it looks very slowly drawn, which would be completely uncharacteristic for an equipment manager to do. Even if the bat was a legit Polanco gamer, the 62s were likely added by someone else.

Not enough info to form an opinion one way or the other. It's possible this is how he writes and the other bats were written by someone else. It's possible he writes numbers differently. For instance I collect Josh Hamilton and he has a few distinct ways he writes his "2's"...sometimes with a loop sometimes completely opposite with the exact opposite of a loop.

Phil316
06-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Not enough info to form an opinion one way or the other. It's possible this is how he writes and the other bats were written by someone else. It's possible he writes numbers differently. For instance I collect Josh Hamilton and he has a few distinct ways he writes his "2's"...sometimes with a loop sometimes completely opposite with the exact opposite of a loop.

I concur

Nnunnari
06-15-2014, 03:59 PM
I highly doubt someone forged Polanco's spring training number on this bat, simply not worth the risk. Odds are the bat is good.

Danasei, I am not sure why you feel the need to throw your 2 cents into every thread but you should really refrain from commenting unless you actually know what you are talking about. If other forum members didn't speak up, the owner of the bat may have thought this bat was no good and sold or traded it for less than it's value.
This forum should be beneficial for collectors. People may not know who you are and overvalue your opinion because you are a frequent poster. In reality, you collect Cameron Maybin bats and haven't been able to prove that you add much value with your comments.

Hoosier39
06-15-2014, 05:12 PM
I highly doubt someone forged Polanco's spring training number on this bat, simply not worth the risk. Odds are the bat is good.

Danasei, I am not sure why you feel the need to throw your 2 cents into every thread but you should really refrain from commenting unless you actually know what you are talking about. If other forum members didn't speak up, the owner of the bat may have thought this bat was no good and sold or traded it for less than it's value.
This forum should be beneficial for collectors. People may not know who you are and overvalue your opinion because you are a frequent poster. In reality, you collect Cameron Maybin bats and haven't been able to prove that you add much value with your comments.

That's pretty good. Can't your last sentence be said for quite a few on here? Just change "Cameron Maybin" to something else and you've got at least 30% of the posters. ;)

PAC
06-15-2014, 06:15 PM

In the pictures I posted, even though it's blurry, you can tell it has a 2 with a curled tail like the OP's, rather than the 2 with a straight tail like you posted.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-15-2014, 06:19 PM
In the pictures I posted, even though it's blurry, you can tell it has a 2 with a curled tail like the OP's, rather than the 2 with a straight tail like you posted.

Yah I can't see much of anything...let alone a curled 2

danesei@yahoo.com
06-15-2014, 06:48 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/9HYAAOSwoQ1TmiNW/$_57.JPG
That's how he writes his 2s.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-15-2014, 06:59 PM

The fact that I collect Maybin (and Votto, Trammell, Walker, Bautista and Cabrera) bats doesn't change the facts:

1) Other gamers of Polanco's during the period have pine tar present.
2) "2" is written nothing like his "2"s when he signs and inscribes his number. This also fits with the "62"s on the OP's bat looking slowly drawn.

I might not be an expert on Polanco bats, but I do understand what pine tar and handwriting look like. Yes, you're right that not enough Polanco bats have been submitted to the market to state definitive use characteristics, but when the current marketplace has Polanco gamers with pine tar, logic would dictate that a bat without pine tar (and with different handwriting on numbering) should be questioned.

Nick, stating that it's likely a gamer simply because I said it's probably not is a disservice to the collecting community. After all, if someone had asked you to look at the bat and showed you photos of Polanco bats used during Spring Training, your answer would lean toward not verifiable as authentic.

Your comment that the OP can get someone to easily overpay for the bat, simply because there isn't enough information on use characteristics is akin to telling someone to sell an item that might not be authentic, simply because no one knows any better, yet.

As for the owner thinking the bat was no good, that's fine. OP could have returned the bat if necessary. Otherwise, they could keep the bat, but know that there are significant questions surrounding it.

Hoosier39
06-15-2014, 07:19 PM
I think what Nick is trying to say is that just because the handwriting on the knob doesn't match, doesn't mean it's not used by Polanco or was forged.

I have several bats from one player with different hand on the knobs, whether it be from player, equipment manager, bat boy, etc, I know for a fact every single one is legit.

I also think what he was saying was tho he respects your opinion, if you aren't sure about something your best not to comment at all because it could screw stuff up one way or the other.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-15-2014, 09:21 PM
I think what Nick is trying to say is that just because the handwriting on the knob doesn't match, doesn't mean it's not used by Polanco or was forged.

I have several bats from one player with different hand on the knobs, whether it be from player, equipment manager, bat boy, etc, I know for a fact every single one is legit.

I also think what he was saying was tho he respects your opinion, if you aren't sure about something your best not to comment at all because it could screw stuff up one way or the other.

I don't see anything wrong with what he was been saying. He never said the bat was fake, however I believe enough has been shown that a person could come to their own opinion that it very uncharacteristic and there for very possibly not used.

For the time period the numbers are off and a very big problem. The odds he had spring training bats with numbers two different ways is unlikely. Two different time periods maybe, but one location not likely.

The bigger concern to me is actually the pine tar issue. Documentation shows he has consistently used pine tar in the middle. For a bat with some decent use not to have that is a red flag.

On top of that did anyone ever find a picture of him using this model? There is another red flag.

This bat has enough going against it to be considered not game used unless you can come up with information proving it is. The only characteristic of him on this bat is his name. This bat would fail any credible authentication service with flying colors.

I'm not saying it isn't a legit gamer...it could be. Hopefully some day the OP can get the info to work at proving it is, because I for one hope it is as that would be a great bat. Till then let's try not to kick dirt over the facts to make the OP feel better.

STLHAMMER32
06-15-2014, 09:36 PM
At this point the bat should not be discredited was the point being made. For instance here is a link to a game used bat of his with a unique blue tape job on the handle. According to the theory of pine tar missing making this bat not authentic.....does this bat mean that all bats not containing tape are not authentic....or does it mean that this particular bat linked is not authentic because it has a different characteristics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gregory-Polanco-Game-Used-Bat-Pirates-/281362481532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418282c17c

yanks12025
06-15-2014, 09:39 PM
At this point the bat should not be discredited was the point being made. For instance here is a link to a game used bat of his with a unique blue tape job on the handle. According to the theory of pine tar missing making this bat not authentic.....does this bat mean that all bats not containing tape are not authentic....or does it mean that this particular bat linked is not authentic because it has a different characteristics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gregory-Polanco-Game-Used-Bat-Pirates-/281362481532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418282c17c

I'm pretty sure that the bat in the link has pine tar.

STLHAMMER32
06-15-2014, 09:43 PM

The pine tar was directed towards the bat up for discussion not the link. The link shows a different trait (tape) not shown with other bats.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-15-2014, 09:58 PM

The pine tar was directed towards the bat up for discussion not the link. The link shows a different trait (tape) not shown with other bats.
I would think that the context of yanks' comment would be that, although there is tape present on the bat in your link, there's also pine tar present. That would reinforce the notion that the only verified Polanco gamers (either in photos or inscribed and authenticated by Onyx) have had pine tar on them. The tape wouldn't be a discrediting event, one way or the other, since we have both bats with and without tape that would be considered authentic. The disqualifying event would still be pine tar, since even the bats with tape have pine tar in the middle of the bat, near the brand stamp.

I don't intend to be putting words into others' mouths, but that's how I interpreted yanks' comment in the context of the thread.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-15-2014, 09:58 PM

Seeing that bat is two years old it really is not comparable...at all.

We were drawing red flags when comparing it to another bat from spring training and one from just last winter.

AndersonAuthentics
06-16-2014, 12:38 AM
Polanco does occasionally tape his bats in differing ways using different patterns. He isn't consistent in it.

He is consistent in using pine tar around the center brand. Every single bat I've received from him has a decent amount of pine tar on/around the center brand.

As for whether this bat is legit or not, the 62 on OPs bat is not consistent with the bats I received from him this ST. Could be possible that this was a sample bat and he either didn't use or gave to a friend to use.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Polanco does occasionally tape his bats in differing ways using different patterns. He isn't consistent in it.

He is consistent in using pine tar around the center brand. Every single bat I've received from him has a decent amount of pine tar on/around the center brand.

As for whether this bat is legit or not, the 62 on OPs bat is not consistent with the bats I received from him this ST. Could be possible that this was a sample bat and he either didn't use or gave to a friend to use.
Thanks for your input. Glad to know that a known marketing agency agreed with my opinion on this bat.