PDA

View Full Version : Al Kaline game used bat?

shawn
12-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Hey Guys,

I dont think you have non LS shipping records but I was going to see if I could get your opinion on this bat prior to posting this on the current auction items section of the forum. Here is the item and a response from the ebay seller in regards to the actuall use by Kaline.

Thanks in advance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300044274797&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300044274797&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1)

COMMENTS FROM SELLER

Thanks. This is definately not a store bat and doesn't have inch marks on the knob or barrel. We cant actually say that Kaline used this bat in our cert. Not even MEARS says that. Every kaline model of this type we have seen sell on mastronet and vintageauthentics has sold for over $1000.00 and usually closer to $2k as kaline was a 3000 hit club member. Factory records may not exist for adirondack and the LS ones are sadly incomplete. Regards, Terry

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
12-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Hi Shawn--I think that the markings indicate this bat is from the 1968-70 labeling period. I have a Bench game bat from the same time frame. However, mine has the markings of 220A on the knob end. I believe this bat should have markings on the knob with a model number as well. Adirondack bats used by professionals should have an A or B after the model number from all I have read. There are also some that had C and D as well and were game bats. However, C and D models were available also for purchase in some stores and for college use again using information I have read--so to prove a player used a C or D bat is tough...much discussion amongst collectors of these type bats with these markings.

I have looked from time to time at what this person is selling and to me--my personal opinion is that the titles of the bats for sale tend to be misleading. ??? Just an opinion.

Birdbats
12-20-2006, 03:57 PM
While there are no Adirondack records to reference, Kaline's H&B records do provide some useful information. The bat is described as 34", 34 ounces. Kaline rarely ordered a 34" Louisville Slugger bat. In 1972, he had some 34/31 K55 bats and some 34/33 M110L bats. He also ordered a few 34" bats in 1954 and 1957. During the time this bat was made (1968-70), Kaline ordered only bats that were 35/32 or 35/31. Assuming his Adirondack bats probably were consistent with his Louisville Sluggers, the specs don't match.

MSpecht
12-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi Shawn--

Most collectors believe that this seldom-seen version of the Adirondack 1968-1970 labeling (w/ block letter Adirondack rather than script) appeared only for a short time in 1968. Given the lack of a model number on the knob (regardless whether there are inch numbers or not) and the atypical length for Kaline, it is not only impossible to put this bat in Kaline's hands, but it is also extremely difficult to even treat this bat as a professional bat.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

shawn
12-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks to everyone for your help. Due to your opinions I will be passing on this bat. I did email the seller to ask if there was a model # and a letter on the bat anywhere because there is nothing on the knob he has not emailed me back.

Thanks again,

Shawn

JimCaravello
12-21-2006, 09:34 AM
Shawn - In my years of collecting, I have never seen a player "Type" bat, such as "Mantle Type", "Kaline Type" that I have been comfortable with to be considered game used by the player. Sometimes I wonder what game used means to a lot of people and authenticators in the hobby? Aren't we trying to collect bats that we know were used by the Player? Probably a topic for another day......

Happy Holidays to everyone. jim