PDA

View Full Version : Getting stiffed by non-paying bidders

sportsnbikes
06-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Has anyone had an increase of non-paying bidders recently? I don't sell a ton of stuff but I've had 4 items not paid for in the last 2.5 months and it bums me out. The last one was a George Springer rookie HR record lineup card. I should set my auctions so if you have 0 feedback you can't bid. I just think that's a little unfair to young people who come off age and get an eBay account. It's especially annoying if you're trying to sell something like that line up card when the player is hot.

What experiences have you all had with non-paying bidders? EBay doesn't seem to do much about it.

beaglegypsy003
06-20-2014, 01:45 AM
Someone sold one of the early Upper Deck Michael Jordan jersey cards on EBay for me but didn't send it with Delivery Confirmation. Well the buyer said he didn't receive the card and got his refund. As this was going on, he listed the card for sale on Ebay. Was told nothing could be done because it couldn't be proven that was the same card that was sent to him (noserial print number).

sportsnbikes
06-20-2014, 07:14 AM
Someone sold one of the early Upper Deck Michael Jordan jersey cards on EBay for me but didn't send it with Delivery Confirmation. Well the buyer said he didn't receive the card and got his refund. As this was going on, he listed the card for sale on Ebay. Was told nothing could be done because it couldn't be proven that was the same card that was sent to him (noserial print number).

WOW!! That's taking shady to a while new brazen level. I had that happen once but it wasn't relisted. Buyer said he didn't get the ball. I just don't believe it. Every since then on items over 30 bucks I do delivery confirmatioin.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-20-2014, 07:35 AM
I don't understand why you wouldn't do Del Con on all items. It costs something like 19-cents through the eBay shipping. Also, you get a 10-18% discount (it seems) off shipping, so when all things are accounted for, DC is "free" when shipped through eBay.

sportsnbikes
06-20-2014, 09:08 AM
I don't understand why you wouldn't do Del Con on all items. It costs something like 19-cents through the eBay shipping. Also, you get a 10-18% discount (it seems) off shipping, so when all things are accounted for, DC is "free" when shipped through eBay.

I would if I sold more items. I sell maybe 20 items every 6 months or so. I have used shipping through eBay before and I just don't have the right equipment to weigh the items. There were some other things if I remember correctly that I wasn't given the option to choose. Maybe I'll give it another shot the next time.

Jim65
06-20-2014, 10:12 AM
If you ship Priority Mail, DC and $50 insurance is included. Personally, I wouldn't ship any other way. :)

sox83cubs84
06-20-2014, 08:54 PM
I don't trust Delivery Confirmation, because Ive had postal carriers sign off on it themselves, even when I haven't gotten the item in hand. This happened several years ago why confirmation packages were delivered while I was at a Cubs game...a bat from Ball Park Heroes, and an Eric Davis Cardinal cap from Jeff Sullivan in Missouri. Both were dropped off without my presence, and both were stolen out of the building lobby. BPH took care of me, but Sullivan accused me of trying to "beat him out of a hat", took some swipes at me by name in a few of his eBay listings, and made no attempt to work it out to a satisfactory conclusion for both of us (just for himself). These days, anything of value I ship gets Signature Confirmation. Its not as cheap ($2.90) but I find it more reliable.

Dave Miedema

johnsontravis@ymail.com
06-20-2014, 09:28 PM
I don't trust Delivery Confirmation, because Ive had postal carriers sign off on it themselves, even when I haven't gotten the item in hand. This happened several years ago why confirmation packages were delivered while I was at a Cubs game...a bat from Ball Park Heroes, and an Eric Davis Cardinal cap from Jeff Sullivan in Missouri. Both were dropped off without my presence, and both were stolen out of the building lobby. BPH took care of me, but Sullivan accused me of trying to "beat him out of a hat", took some swipes at me by name in a few of his eBay listings, and made no attempt to work it out to a satisfactory conclusion for both of us (just for himself). These days, anything of value I ship gets Signature Confirmation. Its not as cheap ($2.90) but I find it more reliable.

Dave Miedema

Outside your front door is considered delivered...or your apartment lobby. You don't have to give it to the owner to be delivered. So really delivery confirmation does nothing to prevent theft. Signature confirmation is for sure the best bet on valuables.

eisenreich8
06-20-2014, 11:17 PM
I have a winner of a story for this month......I sold a jersey to a buyer in WA, sent it UPS with Sig Con because my back and forth with him at the beginning made me jumpy. The transaction didn't feel right. Now, 5 weeks later, PayPal has locked up my $176 because the buyer claims it was an unauthorized purchase. I have this going in my favor:

Seller Protection Eligible
Confirmed Address
Signature Confirmation (tracking info I saved)
Buyer has a recent history of this same claim with another seller.

Now, it could take up to 30 days for PP to decide on this matter. My gut tells me I'm going to be out the jersey and the $176. I'm just resigned to the fact that eBay and PayPal (same animal) are not seller friendly. What a waste of time.

beaglegypsy003
06-20-2014, 11:24 PM
I bought a jersey that I paid $750 for. The delivery instructions was signature confirmation. I came home that night and the package was just sitting on the garage steps.

sportsnbikes
06-21-2014, 09:48 AM
I think the guy who didn't pay for my Springer lineup card is the same guy who didn't pay for the Springer lineup cards and jerseys on mlb auctions. Those items didn't get paid for and have been relisted.

I wonder why someone would even do that? What's the freaking point? What satisfaction can you possibly get out of it?

It sounds like the only way to go with high priced items is signature confirmation and lower priced delivery confirmation. Either way there seems to be a chance that at some point an issue will arise and someone will get screwed over.

Phil316
06-21-2014, 10:39 AM
I have a winner of a story for this month......I sold a jersey to a buyer in WA, sent it UPS with Sig Con because my back and forth with him at the beginning made me jumpy. The transaction didn't feel right. Now, 5 weeks later, PayPal has locked up my $176 because the buyer claims it was an unauthorized purchase. I have this going in my favor:

Seller Protection Eligible
Confirmed Address
Signature Confirmation (tracking info I saved)
Buyer has a recent history of this same claim with another seller.

Now, it could take up to 30 days for PP to decide on this matter. My gut tells me I'm going to be out the jersey and the $176. I'm just resigned to the fact that eBay and PayPal (same animal) are not seller friendly. What a waste of time.

If it says seller protection eligible and you show it was delivered you will be fine. I just had the exact situation for 182.00. Paypal said I was covered under seller protection and they put the funds back in my account.

Phil316
06-21-2014, 10:42 AM
I think the guy who didn't pay for my Springer lineup card is the same guy who didn't pay for the Springer lineup cards and jerseys on mlb auctions. Those items didn't get paid for and have been relisted.

I wonder why someone would even do that? What's the freaking point? What satisfaction can you possibly get out of it?

It sounds like the only way to go with high priced items is signature confirmation and lower priced delivery confirmation. Either way there seems to be a chance that at some point an issue will arise and someone will get screwed over.

The Springer bidder guy reminds me of the tweekers who fill their carts at Nordstroms and just walk out leaving all the items in the cart. They get satisfaction from bidding/filling the cart but know full well they cannot afford it.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-21-2014, 04:51 PM
I have a winner of a story for this month......I sold a jersey to a buyer in WA, sent it UPS with Sig Con because my back and forth with him at the beginning made me jumpy. The transaction didn't feel right. Now, 5 weeks later, PayPal has locked up my $176 because the buyer claims it was an unauthorized purchase.

You have the contact info indicating that the item was signed for. File a police report for theft with your local PD. I'm not sure how it works for UPS, but if this were sent by USPS, you would also be able to file with the Postmaster, who could file felony charges for mail fraud against the individual.

BamaHater
06-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Has anyone had an increase of non-paying bidders recently? I don't sell a ton of stuff but I've had 4 items not paid for in the last 2.5 months and it bums me out. The last one was a George Springer rookie HR record lineup card. I should set my auctions so if you have 0 feedback you can't bid. I just think that's a little unfair to young people who come off age and get an eBay account. It's especially annoying if you're trying to sell something like that line up card when the player is hot.

What experiences have you all had with non-paying bidders? EBay doesn't seem to do much about it.
There was a bidder on MLB Auctions (Bidders was named Rilles ) that won all the George Springer stuff (Memorial Day Jersey, Hat,Lineup Card). It's went for super crazy prices. Well apparently something happened and now the stuff is listed for sale again. I have a feeling he bid and did not have the means to pay for it all. Shady stuff. He bid on all the Springer stuff when it popped up. I have a feeling it could be the same person from the MLB auctions.

See this thread. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=60926

danesei@yahoo.com
06-21-2014, 10:58 PM
The Springer bidder guy reminds me of the tweekers who fill their carts at Nordstroms and just walk out leaving all the items in the cart. They get satisfaction from bidding/filling the cart but know full well they cannot afford it.

I've never seen a cart at a Nordstrom.

Phil316
06-22-2014, 09:37 AM
I've never seen a cart at a Nordstrom.

That's because you shop at Wal-Mart ;)

sportsnbikes
06-23-2014, 11:01 AM
There was a bidder on MLB Auctions (Bidders was named Rilles ) that won all the George Springer stuff (Memorial Day Jersey, Hat,Lineup Card). It's went for super crazy prices. Well apparently something happened and now the stuff is listed for sale again. I have a feeling he bid and did not have the means to pay for it all. Shady stuff. He bid on all the Springer stuff when it popped up. I have a feeling it could be the same person from the MLB auctions.

See this thread. http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=60926

Yep that is exactly what I was thinking too.

NEFAN
06-23-2014, 02:52 PM

I don't sell much on eBay anymore, but when I did, non-payers got so bad I added to my auctions "Buyers with less than 10 feedback contact me before bidding." That seemed to work for the most part.

sportsnbikes
06-24-2014, 12:24 PM
I don't sell much on eBay anymore, but when I did, non-payers got so bad I added to my auctions "Buyers with less than 10 feedback contact me before bidding." That seemed to work for the most part.

I looked for a setting for about 45 minutes on Sunday to change it to where 0 feedback bidders couldn't bid but it was nowhere to be found. I know people have done that in the past.

Wrigley2010
06-24-2014, 01:17 PM
I looked for a setting for about 45 minutes on Sunday to change it to where 0 feedback bidders couldn't bid but it was nowhere to be found. I know people have done that in the past.

Go to My eBay then go to Account then to Site Preferences to Block certain buyers from bidding or purchasing. You can not directly block zero feedback bidders but there is an option to block low feedback buyers who are currently bidding on at least one of your items. Not sure if this would do the trick or not?

sportsnbikes
06-25-2014, 07:08 AM
Go to My eBay then go to Account then to Site Preferences to Block certain buyers from bidding or purchasing. You can not directly block zero feedback bidders but there is an option to block low feedback buyers who are currently bidding on at least one of your items. Not sure if this would do the trick or not?

Cool I'll give it a whirl!