PDA

View Full Version : Mike Schmidt Bat

stepback2000
06-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Hello Everyone,
I have a Mike Schmidt Adirondack bat with a 1994 type centerbrand. The knob has MS 20 stamped into it, but there is no batch number, nor is there a year designation. There is a number 20 in faded black marker on the knob. There is one ball seam mark on the bat, as well as light pine tar near the center label. The person I got it from about ten years ago said he was a ground crew member at the old Busch stadium, and that he got it directly from Schmidt. I don't know if the story is true, but is the bat a promotional bat or team issued bat without the batch number or year ? Thanks for your help in advance.

Hoosier39
06-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Bat is fine, but I think you meant earlier than '94.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Hi Stepback. I'd guess it's a promotional bat due to the MS20 stamp. There's minimal chance that was used in a professional game, since trophy bats are generally made of inferior woods. I can't imagine a situation within which Schmidt would have used the bat.

I'm assuming you're also the guy who has the 1976 Bench bat. That's likely, not a gamer, either. The number written on the end looks completely different than other Bench bats of the era.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Bat is fine, but I think you meant earlier than '94.

I suppose I'm wrong about the MS20.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-22-2014, 11:04 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251446357282?lpid=82

Does your bat look like that one? I guess it'd be mid-80s, not mid-90s, if so.

Hoosier39
06-22-2014, 11:05 PM
Hi Stepback. I'd guess it's a promotional bat due to the MS20 stamp. There's minimal chance that was used in a professional game, since trophy bats are generally made of inferior woods. I can't imagine a situation within which Schmidt would have used the bat.

I'm assuming you're also the guy who has the 1976 Bench bat. That's likely, not a gamer, either. The number written on the end looks completely different than other Bench bats of the era.

Now hold on a sec. What makes you think it's a promo bat due to the MS20 stamping?? You can't go around here saying something is bad when it's evident you've done zero research.

Stepback, post a pic when you get a moment.

Hoosier39
06-22-2014, 11:07 PM
I suppose I'm wrong about the MS20.

Ok then...

danesei@yahoo.com
06-22-2014, 11:16 PM
Now hold on a sec. What makes you think it's a promo bat due to the MS20 stamping?? You can't go around here saying something is bad when it's evident you've done zero research.

Stepback, post a pic when you get a moment.

I had a brain fart and was thinking of Louisville Slugger bats.

Nnunnari
06-22-2014, 11:51 PM

Unbelievable Danesei, another blatantly false statement and giving incorrect advice/info to a fellow forum member. You are single handedly ruining this forum. Please stop posting!!!

danesei@yahoo.com
06-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Unbelievable Danesei, another blatantly false statement and giving incorrect advice/info to a fellow forum member. You are single handedly ruining this forum. Please stop posting!!!

Thanks for finally getting my name right, Nick. As for single-handedly ruining the forum, that'd be really impressive. I already admitted that I made a mistake over half an hour before your post, so it seems you're simply looking for my posts and posting after them. In some forums, that constitutes harassment.

5kRunner
06-23-2014, 03:17 PM
Here's my attempt to get this thread back on track.

Please post some pics, if you can. You stated its an Adirondack bat. If there is no mention of Rawlings, your bat is at least a 1982 bat. Possibly older. With the MS20 and no date/batch etc stamped into the knob its probably pre-1980. Pics would help clear it up.

Here is some good info on Rawlings/Adirondack bats.

http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/Bat%20ID/Rawlings.htm

stepback2000
06-24-2014, 01:14 AM
Hi Guys, thanks for the help so far on the Schmidt bat. I can't post pics now, but the center label has Rawlings in script above a block lettered Adirondack. Pro Ring is also incorporated into the center label to the right of Rawlings. By the time this type of label was used batch numbers as well as year codes were stamped into the knob, correct? Is the lack of these numbers significant? Thanks, Mike

danesei@yahoo.com
06-24-2014, 03:37 AM
Mike, welcome to the forum, BTW. I do hope your bat turns out okay, but I guess we'll need to wait until the photos to know one way or the other, definitively.