PDA

View Full Version : To stepback2000 and newbies..the more things change....

Steeleraddict
06-23-2014, 12:54 AM
Hi guys,
I've been gone awhile. Redirected to a couple other hobbies. Wanted to see what I've missed. So the first two threads, "mike Schmidt bats" and "cracked bats" I click on I see not much has changed since I've been gone.

Stepback2000's first post is a legitimate question and, well, you see the response he gets. Don't blame him if he doesn't participate let alone come back again.

Then 3arod who has many posts, great contributor, asks a question. Received nice replies in the first 3 posts then someone chiming in basically saying go somewhere else to look up the answer..google.

So to the newbies. This use to be a great forum. May still be. But don't let an
ignorant few drive you away. As it has me and many others. Some being great contributors with a wealth a knowledge that I always enjoyed and learned from. Just glancing thru I see that posters with quality pics, great collections haven't posted in awhile. I still privately keep in contact with some and they echo my sentiments. But others, i only had contact through here. This may be a little of a rant but it just comes from disappointment. Oh well.

Anyways I see a lot of great gear being bought out there. I hope that it gets shared with some of us here in GUU. And some of the big name contributors come back and share their collections and knowledge.

nickacs
06-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Nice to see you post again! Always loved seeing your awesome stuff :)
Yea, definitely the same 'ol place. There's always a couple in the crowd still here that make it so difficult to even create a post without people either shutting you down, making fun of you or telling you your just wrong, but your not. :rolleyes:

I still value some people's posts but it's definitely not like years ago, unfortunately.

Hope you continue to post and we get to see more of your incredible pick-ups!

helf35
06-23-2014, 10:31 AM
I do not understand why people feel the need to put down others especially when they are asking a question. Only way to get the answer is to ask. I post alot of my pick ups on here but there are tons of things im still very new at. I did not start getting deep into game used items until a few years ago when I discovered this site. For me my only avenue for aquiring items was through the White Sox garage sales and ebay. I still have lots of questions on tagging and some of the charactaristics on older bats. For me i pretty much only collect White Sox items and i know what to look for but for instance my Chris Sale Glove i really I had no idea. For me personally I can care less if you want to put something of mine down or call my questions stupid I am going to continue to ask and post because thats the only way im going to continue to learn. I know my grammar sucks for the most part so if you want to bring that down as well more power to you. It is a shame to think how many people have been turned away due to being insulted or embarrased. You never know how many items we will never get to see or have a chance to pick up with the people who felt turned away. I would really like to get into collecting some bears jersey's but i tend to just watch that thread from a distance because it looks like nothing but a blood bath of insults and put downs.

sprint23
06-23-2014, 02:19 PM
As a "newbie" on here I would like to thank you gentlemen for echoing some of my own thoughts regarding certain posters. The "cracked bats" thread in particular reinforced the rather sarcastic and insulting tone that a few people on here seem to take. This is a great place filled with members that have a wealth of information. However, it can make it difficult to gain insight and further your own knowledge on a subject if you fear asking questions due to a select few. Thanks again.

Samets
06-23-2014, 02:30 PM
It is what it is on here... I no longer post about my Chicago Bears GU due to a few bad apples on this forum... Which also means, I don't post here much at all... Seems like way too many people with multiple accounts pimping their own stuff and putting down everyone who doesn't agree with their views...

There are other forums where rules and tolerance to bullies varies... I hope everyone finds a forum where you can show and ask without feeling like the the next poster will rip into you...

frikativ54
06-23-2014, 02:48 PM
It is what it is on here... I no longer post about my Chicago Bears GU due to a few bad apples on this forum... Which also means, I don't post here much at all... Seems like way too many people with multiple accounts pimping their own stuff and putting down everyone who doesn't agree with their views...

There are other forums where rules and tolerance to bullies varies... I hope everyone finds a forum where you can show and ask without feeling like the the next poster will rip into you...

I understand just how you feel. Sad to say, but I've stopped posting my acquisitions on Game Used Universe, as well. It's not unusual after I post my new items that I will get a private email - for no reason - ripping into me for whatever I've acquired. The latest person called me a lesbian, taunted me about my looks, and accused me of being a moocher who contributes nothing to society.

Most of us would prefer not to be harassed. So, I will enjoy my items privately and share them with my friends off the forum. No need to post them here. :(

GoTigers
06-23-2014, 04:10 PM
Les, I hope you contact Chris or the Mods. That member should be banned.

Samets
06-23-2014, 05:38 PM
I understand just how you feel. Sad to say, but I've stopped posting my acquisitions on Game Used Universe, as well. It's not unusual after I post my new items that I will get a private email - for no reason - ripping into me for whatever I've acquired. The latest person called me a lesbian, taunted me about my looks, and accused me of being a moocher who contributes nothing to society.

Most of us would prefer not to be harassed. So, I will enjoy my items privately and share them with my friends off the forum. No need to post them here. :(

I haven't gotten any e-mails but I've gotten some feedback from a forum member through eBay messaging system...

It's not nice but I can post a pic with user name grayed out if anyone wants to see it...

emann
06-23-2014, 05:50 PM
I haven't gotten any e-mails but I've gotten some feedback from a forum member through eBay messaging system...

It's not nice but I can post a pic with user name grayed out if anyone wants to see it...

I gotta ask why you would gray out the user name? If they actually took time to write it, they should own it. Same with the person who send harassing emails to frikativ54... I think the mods should ban away. Tons more collectors out there who don't even know this forum exists, might be worth weeding out the ones who can't play nice.

paul457
06-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Don't let the keyboard warriors ruin your time here. Keep in mind that 99% of the comments they make, are comments that they would NEVER say to someone's face. Unfortunately the internet gives cowards a voice, and they can type whatever they want without the fear of getting popped in the mouth.

The more you feed the trolls, the more they come back. Ignore the trolls and stay engaged with the true collectors here, in the end it will benefit you and the trolls will find there way back to the rock that they crawled out from.

Nnunnari
06-23-2014, 06:40 PM
You didn't last very long in the other hobbies Steeleraddict, guess it's not that bad over here after all. We all missed your entertaining posts, welcome back.

esquiresports
06-23-2014, 10:23 PM
Hey there. Welcome back. I sent you my email in your main game used thread a while back. Or you can also message me. Good to see you back in time for football season.

Wrigley2010
06-24-2014, 12:15 AM
If a post doesn't add any "value" to the topic then why post?? This is my rule of thumb. Also, if you're giving an opinion or answering a question please be educated on the topic. Too many times someone posts just for the sake of padding their number of posts or so it seems. I agree 100% that the forum has definitely lost some great members or at least they don't post as often or share their collections with us any longer. Everyone needs to start being more accountable for what they type and only then will this forum continue to grow in a positive way.

Samets
06-24-2014, 05:55 AM
I gotta ask why you would gray out the user name? If they actually took time to write it, they should own it. Same with the person who send harassing emails to frikativ54... I think the mods should ban away. Tons more collectors out there who don't even know this forum exists, might be worth weeding out the ones who can't play nice.

I have no problem posting the whole screen grab:

Samets
06-24-2014, 05:58 AM
Hmm... iPhone screen grab looks too small to read...

Here's a screen grab from the PC:

anthony3133
06-24-2014, 07:02 AM
Well said! I am truly amazed how brave some idiots can be behind a keyboard.

Don't let the keyboard warriors ruin your time here. Keep in mind that 99% of the comments they make, are comments that they would NEVER say to someone's face. Unfortunately the internet gives cowards a voice, and they can type whatever they want without the fear of getting popped in the mouth.

The more you feed the trolls, the more they come back. Ignore the trolls and stay engaged with the true collectors here, in the end it will benefit you and the trolls will find there way back to the rock that they crawled out from.[/QUOTE]

danesei@yahoo.com
06-28-2014, 08:24 PM
Hmm... iPhone screen grab looks too small to read...

Here's a screen grab from the PC:

Woah. You should report that member for harassment. There's a report this message link in the bottom part of each eBay message. I think it's in the body of the message, not a button.

Steeleraddict
07-18-2014, 12:15 AM
Unreal that someone could post that to you. The mods should def ban.

And no I'm not really back. Scan the topics 2-3 per month. So when u say the other boards are worse than here, you're wrong. Unfortunately this is by far the worst. As you can plainly see by the contributors and lack of posts. You guys make great points. The bears thread use to be awesome. Then fell a couple yrs ago to constant fighting insults etc. I don't know if it's because of lack of mods here or lack of time in Chris cavaliers life. One guy can't do it all.

I can't begin to describe how welcoming, helpful other boards have been. Also, there's a lot of self policing. Guys who don't know me from anyone have helped educate me, put up with my elementary questions, helped find items without anything in return. So much so I've been putting a lot of my money into other hobbies.

I know Goldin, who's great, doesn't want to hear it but people here have turned me off from winning anything in his past auction and I highly doubt will bid this Friday. My old passion would have had me in new York present for his live auction. I hadn't bought any GU in 6 months or so. In fact I won a gift certificate for this auction that someone else can have if Goldin rules allow it.

The only reason I posted was that I finally got an awesome baseball jersey 2 weeks ago. Unexpected. Then last week got a jersey that is immediately in the top 3 or 4 in my collection. Even my friends who have abs no interest in GU abs love this jersey. I have to admit it is awesome and wanted to share it with you guys.

Want to thank you guys for the nice words. And to the rest...whatever. Let's keep it fun.

And you're correct, there are a lot of quality awesome gear out there that aren't being posted. Oh, what happened to the "grouping" thread? That was becoming an awesome thread to look at.

Steeleraddict
07-18-2014, 12:47 AM
Samets,

That's so over the line. It's embarrassing and blatant harassment. You should def report him to eBay, their messaging system. And I see he has a lot of feedback so your hitting him where he'll feel it. Which is deserved. Also, report him to the mod here. Chris cavalier should def act on this. He's just one of the problems here that drive people away.

Sorry for that. Unfort it seems to becoming the norm.

Juan Gris
07-18-2014, 07:13 AM
The only reason I posted was that I finally got an awesome baseball jersey 2 weeks ago. Unexpected. Then last week got a jersey that is immediately in the top 3 or 4 in my collection. Even my friends who have abs no interest in GU abs love this jersey. I have to admit it is awesome and wanted to share it with you guys.

I look forward to seeing this new jersey! Considering your collection it should be something very special to be in the top 3 or 4.

Keep your head up!

-Jon

hbrgrate
07-18-2014, 11:35 PM
You didn't last very long in the other hobbies Steeleraddict, guess it's not that bad over here after all. We all missed your entertaining posts, welcome back.

Nunnari, TOTTALY AGREE, Steeler your attitude is like the steelers record, pathetic. This site is a wealth of info despite a few bad apples such as u. Why are u pathetically passive aggresively threatening Goldin that u won't bid on his stuff because this site doesnt' massage your ego? Looks like mommy hasn't weeeened u off that milk. Time to be put on your big boy pants cuz here we play with pads; and your power collection and cyber throwing money around doesn't impress anyone here who earned their way and are honest fans not elitest bull sitters. Grow some grapefruits to replace them peanuts and u will fit in just fine.

And that's the bottom line cuz STONE COLD SAID SO q my music

cfern023
07-19-2014, 04:32 AM
Really?

In one post- you managed to prove exactly what he's saying.

Cmon man, grow up. Learn to express yourself with some type of intellect before posting stuff like "Cuz Stone Cold Said So".

Steve Austin was a redneck, but he was a smart redneck: He turned himself into a brand.

Your just turning yourself into a stereotype.

3arod13
07-19-2014, 09:14 AM
I will comment, since one of the examples given was my post. My post was strictly meant to get individuals opinions on what their thoughts were. I’m not an idiot and know how to use google, yahoo, etc. A few of us at work were discussing the issue, and many had their own thoughts on it, which I found interesting. Some were previously players too, so that’s what I was looking for with my post. To make smartass and negative comments, serves no purpose than just being a smartass. If you have something positive to add, then by all means, do so. If not, then don’t comment.

One of the main reasons I know longer post, is just that! The nasty attitudes and inappropriate comments made, when not deserved, and they need to stop. I miss many of those who were part of this forum back when I first joined. Most of them left for the same reason, which I find sad.

Behaviors like this happen, only because they are able to continue to do so. As I see it, it’s not difficult to squash it. If someone attacks or makes an inappropriate comment that weren't warranted, kick them out of the forum. The more you do this, the more will realize what will happen to them if they do it, and it will stop, and you’ll find that the members left in the forum, are good members. May not be a lot, but will make for a much better forum.

When I would post things about Arod, I would constantly get attacked. I get people don’t like Arod, but it doesn’t mean you have to express it in someone’s post. When posting about a game used bat I obtained, comments would be made about what a jerk he was, which had nothing to do with my post about my bat. So for this, I just don’t get it.

Wrigley2010
07-20-2014, 05:17 PM
As I see it, it’s not difficult to squash it. If someone attacks or makes an inappropriate comment that weren't warranted, kick them out of the forum. The more you do this, the more will realize what will happen to them if they do it, and it will stop, and you’ll find that the members left in the forum, are good members. May not be a lot, but will make for a much better forum.

When I would post things about Arod, I would constantly get attacked. I get people don’t like Arod, but it doesn’t mean you have to express it in someone’s post. When posting about a game used bat I obtained, comments would be made about what a jerk he was, which had nothing to do with my post about my bat. So for this, I just don’t get it.

+1000000 there is a definite need for a change here.