PDA

View Full Version : I caught Devin Mesoraco's record-setting HR

Pjl2928
06-26-2014, 03:23 PM
So here is how the story goes. I had traveled to Wrigley Field from Virginia for a couple of games. Tuesday night was the final game of my trip as the Cubs played the Reds in the middle game of a three game series. Devin Mesoraco had homered in 4 straight games and was one shy of tying the Red's record for consecutive games with a homerun. I positioned myself in the leftfield bleachers in his final at-bat of the night, when Mesoraco launched a blast down the line. I ran into the next section over where the ball hit a bleacher and rolled underneath another fan's feet. I grabbed the ball and immediently started hearing the chants of "throw it back." I looked up and three security guards grabbed me and told me to hold onto the ball and that the Reds wanted to negotiate with me. So as security led me out of the bleachers, fans booed and threw things at me because i did not throw the ball back. (Felt like The Bartman incident all over) They took me to the security office underneath the stands where the security officials were watching video of the homerun to ensure i actually was the one who got the ball. The head Chicago Cubs security official then led me to the Reds clubhouse where equipment manager Rick Stowe offered me a signed ball and 4 reds hats. I told him i just wanted to give him the ball back myself, and the batting gloves he used to hit the HR with. He was unable to get the gloves as they were sending those and the bat used during the streak to the HOF. We were able to work out a deal for a signed mlb authenticated game used bat of his in exchange for the ball. Mesoraco was happy to get the ball back and said i was cool about the situation, which he also said to the media and is printed in yesterday's cincinnatti enquirer. The mlb.com story stretched the truth that i was nagging him for stuff. He even gave me a signed ball which i did not ask for. It was a great experience all around.

Pjl2928
06-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Here is a picture of the actual record-setting HR ball to tie the Reds record for consective games with a HR.

chakes89
06-26-2014, 04:58 PM
Cool!

Jags Fan Dan
06-26-2014, 05:45 PM
That's very cool! And what the hell does mlb care if you wanted to negotiate for some stuff? How many record setting homerun balls will a fan catch in their lives?

helf35
06-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Exactly why do they care. You could have easily kept it and tried to cash in. Asking for a game bat is in no way nagging.

Roady
06-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Guy makes millions of dollars and couldn't pay a little green for it?

War Helmets
06-26-2014, 09:04 PM
So here is how the story goes. I had traveled to Wrigley Field from Virginia for a couple of games. Tuesday night was the final game of my trip as the Cubs played the Reds in the middle game of a three game series. Devin Mesoraco had homered in 4 straight games and was one shy of tying the Red's record for consecutive games with a homerun. I positioned myself in the leftfield bleachers in his final at-bat of the night, when Mesoraco launched a blast down the line. I ran into the next section over where the ball hit a bleacher and rolled underneath another fan's feet. I grabbed the ball and immediently started hearing the chants of "throw it back." I looked up and three security guards grabbed me and told me to hold onto the ball and that the Reds wanted to negotiate with me. So as security led me out of the bleachers, fans booed and threw things at me because i did not throw the ball back. (Felt like The Bartman incident all over) They took me to the security office underneath the stands where the security officials were watching video of the homerun to ensure i actually was the one who got the ball. The head Chicago Cubs security official then led me to the Reds clubhouse where equipment manager Rick Stowe offered me a signed ball and 4 reds hats. I told him i just wanted to give him the ball back myself, and the batting gloves he used to hit the HR with. He was unable to get the gloves as they were sending those and the bat used during the streak to the HOF. We were able to work out a deal for a signed mlb authenticated game used bat of his in exchange for the ball. Mesoraco was happy to get the ball back and said i was cool about the situation, which he also said to the media and is printed in yesterday's cincinnatti enquirer. The mlb.com story stretched the truth that i was nagging him for stuff. He even gave me a signed ball which i did not ask for. It was a great experience all around.

Way to go man>NICE!

sox83cubs84
06-26-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm glad you got it, as opposed to one of the Legends-In-Their-Own-Minds on Waveland Avenue. At least a couple of those guys would have rushed the ball to eBay with an inflated opening bid or BIN...after all, a home run ball is worth more if a Wrigley Field Ballhawk catches it, don'tcha know.:rolleyes:

Dave Miedema

helf35
06-26-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm glad you got it, as opposed to one of the Legends-In-Their-Own-Minds on Waveland Avenue. At least a couple of those guys would have rushed the ball to eBay with an inflated opening bid or BIN...after all, a home run ball is worth more if a Wrigley Field Ballhawk catches it, don'tcha know.:rolleyes:

Dave Miedema

Ha! To funny.

camarokids
06-26-2014, 11:52 PM
Awesome story!

tigerdale
06-27-2014, 05:30 AM
Awesome story!!!

allstarsplus
06-27-2014, 05:51 AM
equipment manager Rick Stowe offered me a signed ball and 4 reds hats. I told him i just wanted to give him the ball back myself, and the batting gloves he used to hit the HR with. He was unable to get the gloves as they were sending those and the bat used during the streak to the HOF.

The mlb.com story stretched the truth that i was nagging him for stuff. He even gave me a signed ball which i did not ask for. It was a great experience all around.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article/cin/devin-mesoraco-belts-way-into-reds-record-book?ymd=20140625&content_id=81502568&vkey=news_cin

"He even had to haggle with the fan who caught the ball and was demanding Mesoraco's battling gloves in exchange for it, among other things.

Mesoraco handled the situation with class. The ball was special to him, and he was willing to give the fan what he wanted".

This HR tied a Reds record and didn't break it. It clearly didn't break a MLB consecutive HR record.

My question to you is, are you sure in fact that they are sending the batting gloves and bat to the HOF? I didn't see that mentioned in the articles I scanned.

Juan Gris
06-27-2014, 06:24 AM
Cool story! I'm not sure I could part with a home run ball I personally grabbed under any circumstances (within reason, of course), especially one hit by a player I was a fan of like Mesoraco. Minus being thrown a ball from a guy warming up in the bullpen when I was a boy, I've never caught a ball at a game.

Any chance you could share pics of the bat?

tknorm
06-27-2014, 06:52 AM
Great experience! Thx for sharing it.

Pjl2928
06-27-2014, 09:33 AM
He is actually sending me the bat. I filled out a contract with the reds before i left which stated in exchange for the ball i would get a mlb authenticated, signed game used bat. He had only been using one bat during the streak, so they offered me a game issued bat which i declined. I told Devin i collected game-used stuff so they worked with me. As far as ever thinking about keeping and selling the ball, it was a no brainer. This was Devin's ball and i did not want to take away from the moment for him (remember what Chris Coghlan had to go through to get his 1st HR ball back. His experience ruined the moment for him) i really only wanted to meet mesoraco, take some pictures with him, and pick up a game used memento. In all honesty the game used bat will be cooler than a pair of batting gloves anyway. For me it was all about the experience. I have a story i can tell for the rest of my life, instead of a guilty feeling for keeping or selling the ball for my own personal gain, denying a great guy like Devin from enjoying HIS moment.

ruhoos
06-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Incredible story. Too bad MLB showed you in a negative light. You'll have to bring the bat by the shop sometime and show it off when you get it.

Pjl2928
06-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Incredible story. Too bad MLB showed you in a negative light. You'll have to bring the bat by the shop sometime and show it off when you get it.

Will do man

ctguy212003
06-27-2014, 01:52 PM

Dave Miedema

Dave is there any way you can email me? Jersey question. Mdemers83@yahoo.com

dplettn
06-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Congratulations on securing the ball and having the class to provide such a personal item to Devin, who gives much of himself to both the game and its fans.

Writers have their ways of making a story sound interesting by sensationalizing whatever Devin told them about your experience. I'm confident Devin did not intend for you to be shown in a negative light. I have a Mesoraco game winning RBI ball from Dodger Stadium in 2012 and Devin was very personable and human in signing/inscribed it at a charity event. While he was genuinely outgoing with everybody, he also seemed to "get" the game used hobby and took appropriate pride that people wanted to cherish such items.

The story regarding the bat destined for the Reds or National Hall of Fame was corroborated on Fox Sports Ohio.

Devin, if you happen to read this thread at any point during the off-season I'd be grateful for an e-mail from you. I have a question about my game used bat of yours (which I believe to have been significant):

plettner at fuse.net

Pjl2928
06-27-2014, 05:39 PM

Dave Miedema

You are right about that one. I talked to some of those guys one day when I was out there for BP and all they could talk about was all the media requests they get, the movie they were in produced by billy crystal, and how many balls they have in there collection. They do believe they are something else lol. Dave davison seemed to be the nicest of the bunch. He spent some time talking to me

dplettn
06-27-2014, 11:14 PM
I certainly realize Devin is not named Yadier Molina or Buster Posey. Also that Lucroy is similarly deserving.. but that guy you provided his own special HR ball to... Well, on merit.... you gave that ball to a player deserving his 1st All Star nod this year! Despite the at bat limitations associated with time spent on the DL and time spent late in the batting order, Mes is right there with the big names who had all their normal at bats when it comes to aggregate productivity (RBIs). Mes has combined average and power while also catching the very surprising Alfredo Simon.

Perhaps I'm biased because I made a friendly wager in 2013 that Mes would be a 2014 All Star. But it surprises me very much that nobody yet talks about his All Star merits.

danesei@yahoo.com
06-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Very cool story about the HR ball, however, I don't think the media commentary about the gloves was non-factual. In any event, cool that you got to meet him. Weird that you had to sign a contract with the team, though. Given how laid back most retail/game-used managers seem to be, I couldn't imagine them even mentioning a contract. :D

But it surprises me very much that nobody yet talks about his All Star merits.

I disagree on Mesoraco deserving an All-Star nod. Even though he's given a huge boost to my fantasy team, he simply missed way too much time to be considered. One of the biggest things for a catcher is to log time behind the dish. Mesoraco has twice as many passed balls as Yadier Molina or Jonathan Lucroy, in less than 2/3 as many innings.

Yes, Mesoraco has been on a tear so far this season, but there's no justification to getting him on the All-Star roster, since doing so would mean carrying at least three (and possibly four) catchers on the roster.

sox83cubs84
06-29-2014, 11:39 PM
You are right about that one. I talked to some of those guys one day when I was out there for BP and all they could talk about was all the media requests they get, the movie they were in produced by billy crystal, and how many balls they have in there collection. They do believe they are something else lol. Dave davison seemed to be the nicest of the bunch. He spent some time talking to me

Actually, when I was talking about rushing home run balls to eBay, Davison was the one I had in mind.:eek:

Dave M.

flaco1801
06-30-2014, 06:43 PM
I would not have given that ball away....I would have left my cell number and left.....Game used jerseys to the team are probably 50 bucks each....How many did you get?....the whole set would probably set the team back 12-14 hundred, thats about 1 ab of the highest priced player....

PAC
07-01-2014, 06:05 AM
I would not have given that ball away....I would have left my cell number and left.....Game used jerseys to the team are probably 50 bucks each....How many did you get?....the whole set would probably set the team back 12-14 hundred, thats about 1 ab of the highest priced player....

LOL a whole team set of jerseys? It's not like it was McGwire's 62nd, or even somebody's 500th.

Whatever the price, I wouldn't have left without getting paid in full. I hope they actually send you that bat, but with my luck, it would never show up. I've traded game used items with 3 different players, who exchanged contact info with me and promised to send me a game used item in return through the mail, only to never send anything and stop answering their phones. From now on, players have to pay up front just like everyone else.

Jags Fan Dan
07-01-2014, 08:08 AM
I completely get wanting to be cool about it and trying not to be "that guy", but when you are in the position of owning something that is highly coveted, I understand wanting to negotiate the best deal for the item. It isn't like it only has value to the player. Not sure what it would have commanded on the open market, but it isn't like it was just a game used baseball. And these guys make tons of money, it's not like you are holding grandma's Chihuahua hostage and trying to get blood from a turnip. If you threw a bag of money into a crowd, do you think you would get it back? Easily? Would the person who returned it (if they did) not deserve some reward if you had the means to give it to them?

AWA85
07-01-2014, 09:12 AM
I have seen it mentioned a couple of times of how much money Mesoraco makes and just wanted to clarify one thing. Devin is in his third year of making $525,000 or less (a large amount to us, but for the people floating around that he is a millionaire are a little off). Sure he had a signing bonus when he was drafted but you also add in 4.5 years of minors where he is living off that bonus. Just little pet peeve of mine when people assume all the guys are getting paid Alex Rodriguez money.

Congrats on the catch by the way. I was watching as Jim Day was going back and forth on twitter about the deal, very cool to hear the whole story!

Roady
07-01-2014, 09:17 AM
I have seen it mentioned a couple of times of how much money Mesoraco makes and just wanted to clarify one thing. Devin is in his third year of making $525,000 or less (a large amount to us, but for the people floating around that he is a millionaire are a little off). Sure he had a signing bonus when he was drafted but you also add in 4.5 years of minors where he is living off that bonus. Just little pet peeve of mine when people assume all the guys are getting paid Alex Rodriguez money.

Congrats on the catch by the way. I was watching as Jim Day was going back and forth on twitter about the deal, very cool to hear the whole story!

I am guilty of this. I said he makes millions and to be honest I looked it up later and realized I was wrong.

I would still make him pay cash for it though. Call me greedy or whatever but these athletes can pony up some dough. They are not Gods to worship.

Pjl2928
07-01-2014, 09:50 AM
LOL a whole team set of jerseys? It's not like it was McGwire's 62nd, or even somebody's 500th.

Whatever the price, I wouldn't have left without getting paid in full. I hope they actually send you that bat, but with my luck, it would never show up. I've traded game used items with 3 different players, who exchanged contact info with me and promised to send me a game used item in return through the mail, only to never send anything and stop answering their phones. From now on, players have to pay up front just like everyone else.

The Reds have actually called me twice since catching the ball. They have kept me informed that Mesoraco is still using the same bat, and once he breaks it, it will be going to the HOF. The bat he uses after that is mine. First class organization in my mind to have called me twice in the past week to keep me up to date on the situation.

Roady
07-01-2014, 10:23 AM
The Reds have actually called me twice since catching the ball. They have kept me informed that Mesoraco is still using the same bat, and once he breaks it, it will be going to the HOF. The bat he uses after that is mine. First class organization in my mind to have called me twice in the past week to keep me up to date on the situation.

As long as you are happy with the way you handled it that is all that counts.

Congrats on your experience! :)

sportsnbikes
07-01-2014, 11:56 AM

Dave Miedema

Nice work on getting that ball back and getting a little something in return.

That Ballhawk guy selling his stuff like it's special is one of the biggest annoyances when searching for items on eBay. Stupid.

emann
07-01-2014, 01:02 PM
The Reds have actually called me twice since catching the ball. The bat he uses after that is mine.

Cool story! I'd see if you could ask for one more thing... See if he'll inscribe the bat to you; might be a neat addition to your story in the future to have something personal like "thanks for being a good dude!" on the bat you get from him...

I'm not a fan of signed GU items usually, but it brings your story full circle and since you didn't want the money for the ball, I'd assume you feel the same about the bat and would just prefer the cool story that surrounds it.

helf35
07-01-2014, 01:51 PM

That Ballhawk guy selling his stuff like it's special is one of the biggest annoyances when searching for items on eBay. Stupid.

Im a big Sox fan especially Chris Sale and I have been wanting to get the authenticated ball from his 1-hit game. The ball is not even authenticated to Sale but he wont come anywhere near a reasonable price. He always tells me he would rather keep it then part with it for anywhere under $250. I think its funny how he adjusts the price up and down. It was almost $400 and now $280. Tomorrow it will probably be $350.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-01-2014, 09:05 PM
When they say the items are going to the HOF, do they mean the Cincinnati Reds HOF? I can't see a reason for it going to the National Baseball Museum, given the HR tied the Reds franchise record set by Bench. It didn't tie nor break the NL (and MLB?) record of six set by Walker Cooper of the NY Giants.

sox83cubs84
07-01-2014, 09:34 PM
Im a big Sox fan especiallys Sale and I have been wanting to get the authenticated ball from his 1-hit game. The ball is not even authenticated to Sale but he wont come anywhere near a reasonable price. He always tells me he would rather keep it then part with it for anywhere under $250. I think its funny how he adjusts the price up and down. It was almost $400 and now $280. Tomorrow it will probably be $350.

The prices may rise and fall, but the items don't sell at any price.:p

dplettn
07-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Very cool story about the HR ball, however, I don't think the media commentary about the gloves was non-factual. In any event, cool that you got to meet him. Weird that you had to sign a contract with the team, though. Given how laid back most retail/game-used managers seem to be, I couldn't imagine them even mentioning a contract. :D

I disagree on Mesoraco deserving an All-Star nod. Even though he's given a huge boost to my fantasy team, he simply missed way too much time to be considered. One of the biggest things for a catcher is to log time behind the dish. Mesoraco has twice as many passed balls as Yadier Molina or Jonathan Lucroy, in less than 2/3 as many innings.

Yes, Mesoraco has been on a tear so far this season, but there's no justification to getting him on the All-Star roster, since doing so would mean carrying at least three (and possibly four) catchers on the roster.

Was great to see that Mike Matheny had the same assessment I had as to Mesoraco's merits to be an All-Star. So much so that he included three catchers on the NL roster. I give Matheny a lot of credit because Lucroy's inclusion along with the DL time would have made it easy to snub Mesoraco. Instead, Matheny recognized Devin for Devin and showed his tribute to Devin's merit.

AWA85
07-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Mesoraco shattered his bat tonight which looked to be the same one he has been using for a few weeks. The Reds record bat will have all sorts of pieces to it.

Now you are one step closer to getting your game bat hopefully!

AWA85
07-09-2014, 07:09 PM
UPDATE II : In his next at bat he broke another bat on a foul pop up. Funny he went weeks of using the same pounded bat and the next one only makes it through on at bat.

PAC
07-10-2014, 08:13 AM
UPDATE II : In his next at bat he broke another bat on a foul pop up. Funny he went weeks of using the same pounded bat and the next one only makes it through on at bat.

Damn, final payout is a bat that shows zero signs of game use. Should've held out.

dplettn
07-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Damn, final payout is a bat that shows zero signs of game use. Should've held out.

Remember that whatever specific bat you get will remind you forever of your personal experience of securing the ball, meeting, and your care/courtesy to give it to Devin. That relevance is far more important than the specifics on the bat.

Pjl2928
07-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Can someone/ anyone be really cool and send me some screen shots of mesoraco's at-bat in the 4th inning of the 7/9/14 game against the cubs?

Also, if there are any screen shots available of me getting the ball or being taken out by security through the cubs or reds broadcast it would be greatly appreciated. I do not have mlb tv, but would love to have some images to show the family. Game was 6/24/14. Homerun by Mez was in the top of the ninth.

My email: joshlaprevotte@gmail.com

Thank you so much guys

Colinvandewetering
07-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Can someone/ anyone be really cool and send me some screen shots of mesoraco's at-bat in the 4th inning of the 7/9/14 game against the cubs?

Also, if there are any screen shots available of me getting the ball or being taken out by security through the cubs or reds broadcast it would be greatly appreciated. I do not have mlb tv, but would love to have some images to show the family. Game was 6/24/14. Homerun by Mez was in the top of the ninth.

My email: joshlaprevotte@gmail.com

Thank you so much guys

Hey Josh, I will send you some pics.

Colinvandewetering
07-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Email sent.

Pjl2928
07-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Thank you all that have sent pictures. Anyone else please feel free to send any pictures possible of both the homerun and the bat.

sportsnbikes
07-16-2014, 12:08 AM
Im a big Sox fan especially Chris Sale and I have been wanting to get the authenticated ball from his 1-hit game. The ball is not even authenticated to Sale but he wont come anywhere near a reasonable price. He always tells me he would rather keep it then part with it for anywhere under $250. I think its funny how he adjusts the price up and down. It was almost $400 and now $280. Tomorrow it will probably be $350.

So he has the 1-Hit? I don't know why anyone would buy anything from him if it's not MLB Authenticated. It could be a ball from Joe-Schmo for all they know. I hope you get the ball you're looking for!

helf35
07-16-2014, 09:01 AM
So he has the 1-Hit? I don't know why anyone would buy anything from him if it's not MLB Authenticated. It could be a ball from Joe-Schmo for all they know. I hope you get the ball you're looking for!

Its mlb authenticated. He probably bought it from the sports depot after the game and now because his hands have graced it presence its worth 10x what he paid. If it were a strike out ball from Sale or even pitched by him I would entertain it but its a hit by Tyler Greene of the Sox.

sox83cubs84
07-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Its mlb authenticated. He probably bought it from the sports depot after the game and now because his hands have graced it presence its worth 10x what he paid. If it were a strike out ball from Sale or even pitched by him I would entertain it but its a hit by Tyler Greene of the Sox.

Gotta love those Ballhawk egos...NOT!!

Dave M.

dplettn
07-19-2014, 10:32 AM
When they say the items are going to the HOF, do they mean the Cincinnati Reds HOF? I can't see a reason for it going to the National Baseball Museum, given the HR tied the Reds franchise record set by Bench. It didn't tie nor break the NL (and MLB?) record of six set by Walker Cooper of the NY Giants.

National Hall of Fame. Devin is a very down to earth guy. The subject came up naturally when he was inscribing the Arroyo (different) Grand Slam bat. He certainly seemed honored by it, as any rational and non-egotistical person would be. As Devin explained it, the reason the National Hall of Fame wanted it was hitting 1 Run, 2 Run, 3 Run, and Grand Slam HR bats in consecutive games in sequential order (first player to do it). The HOF bat also has special Reds significance in so much that he tied a Reds record for consecutive HR games... he didn't stop with the grand slam game.

ballhawknet
07-20-2014, 06:01 PM
Actually, when I was talking about rushing home run balls to eBay, Davison was the one I had in mind.:eek:

Dave M.

Everybody knows your feelings Dave M. You feel the need to tell me what to do with my possessions , what to sell , how much to sell for , who to sell to ... lol . Very creepy that you keep following me and talking about me .. post after post on GUU talking negatively about me ... let it go dude. You only make yourself look bad . And you wonder why all your old contacts from Wrigley don't talk to you . Have I ever given you a hard time for begging for players hats , jerseys ..etc .. and then promptly selling them ? Of course not . I couldn't care less what you or anyone else does ... why you care so much Ill never know . Its too bad you have been cut out of the loop from from all your old contacts at Wrigley , you've lost out on a lot over the years . And for that you have only yourself to blame . Its sad really , cause we all know about all your medical problems and your living situation , probably be better to be nice to people instead of putting them down ... gets you farther ahead in life.

Oh and a side note , shame on the forum for letting Dave M troll me like this over and over ... it is why i have stayed off the forum over the past however many years . Took me 6 months just to get a reply to get my password reset ...lol

ballhawknet
07-20-2014, 06:16 PM

lol... you guys are too funny . First of all I like the ball and will keep it .. unless somebody wants to pay more than what i did for it . Is that wrong ? You know how many people on this very forum do the same thing all the time ? Because my hands have graced it ? lol awesome !!

Fair enough if you think its worth x and I would rather have the ball than X . And somehow you are upset by this ? There are alot of things in life I would like but it cost too much , wether i think its overpriced or not so what ... to be upset over what I price something at ? I can't help but lol at that . Sorry .

ballhawknet
07-20-2014, 06:23 PM

Dave Miedema

This is also funny !! Forget the poster sharing his story ... lets talk about BALLHAWK DAVE DAVISON ! Who has nothing to do with this at all . Other than I may have told him to play the line as catchers always pull :))

And yes Dave , sorry to break it to you ... a well documented ball is worth more than a poorly or undocumented ball . And that has nothing to do with me thats just the way it is . Sorry you can't comprehend that and want to make it a personal attack . ( shame on the forum again )

ballhawknet
07-20-2014, 06:31 PM

Nice play there on that ball . Seemed like a lot of people were in the mix on the one . I had no clue as to what was happening but I saw security take you away ... figured it was either you didn't want to throw one back or it was a significant homer which I soon found out on twitter . Good deal on the exchange and photo . Not sure what i would have done despite what some on here might say ... lol . I have had number of occasions where a player wanted a ball back , 3 of which resulted in me just giving them the ball with nothing in return as it meant more to them than to me ... and the others just turned out to be not so significant where they really didn't want the ball that much :)

But very cool , great memory for you even without the ball still , and hopefully you get another change to catch a gamer and keep it :))

ballhawknet
07-20-2014, 06:40 PM

It is funny actually how I go up and down ... hell i don't care really I just make up a price . With new ebayers coming in every day its not always the same buyers that see items. Obviously you have been watching it so you know . What you and I guess alot of people don't understand .. or don't care to understand is that I like collecting them and keeping them . Ebay is basically a place to show them all off for free ... unless you sell something - then its final value , paypal ..etc ..

So forgive me if I don't want to sell that ball for 50 bucks . Id actually be losing money there :( I don't even know what reasonable price is ? 50 ? 100 ? 200 ? All I know is what you offered and that was not what i wanted to sell for.

ballhawknet
07-20-2014, 06:48 PM

I sell about 1500 worth of balls a month . Be it on ebay or my website or on site . It pays for me to go to every Cubs game and about half the Sox .. along with traveling to 5 or so events outside Chicago . Yes I am an baseball addict . lol . You could block me on ebay thus eliminating the annoyance . :) That would solve your problem ...not sure if you thought of that ? Wouldn't call you stupid though ;/

thanks !!!

danesei@yahoo.com
07-20-2014, 06:55 PM
National Hall of Fame. Devin is a very down to earth guy. The subject came up naturally when he was inscribing the Arroyo (different) Grand Slam bat. He certainly seemed honored by it, as any rational and non-egotistical person would be. As Devin explained it, the reason the National Hall of Fame wanted it was hitting 1 Run, 2 Run, 3 Run, and Grand Slam HR bats in consecutive games in sequential order (first player to do it). The HOF bat also has special Reds significance in so much that he tied a Reds record for consecutive HR games... he didn't stop with the grand slam game.

Ahh, that's a pretty important event, then. I wasn't aware of the 1/2/3/4 thing (though it does seem like one of those things where the player has little impact on the outcome). Now it makes sense why the NBM wanted the bat.

sox83cubs84
07-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Everybody knows your feelings Dave M. You feel the need to tell me what to do with my possessions , what to sell , how much to sell for , who to sell to ... lol . Very creepy that you keep following me and talking about me .. post after post on GUU talking negatively about me ... let it go dude. You only make yourself look bad . And you wonder why all your old contacts from Wrigley don't talk to you . Have I ever given you a hard time for begging for players hats , jerseys ..etc .. and then promptly selling them ? Of course not . I couldn't care less what you or anyone else does ... why you care so much Ill never know . Its too bad you have been cut out of the loop from from all your old contacts at Wrigley , you've lost out on a lot over the years . And for that you have only yourself to blame . Its sad really , cause we all know about all your medical problems and your living situation , probably be better to be nice to people instead of putting them down ... gets you farther ahead in life.

Oh and a side note , shame on the forum for letting Dave M troll me like this over and over ... it is why i have stayed off the forum over the past however many years . Took me 6 months just to get a reply to get my password reset ...lol

Excuse me, Dave D....you have me mistaken for someone who actually cares about what you think.

Dave M.

ballhawknet
07-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Excuse me, Dave D....you have me mistaken for someone who actually cares about what you think.

Dave M.

You have brought me up , off topic , over a dozen times on this forum
... Lol . How many times have I brought you up in any thread ?? Oh
that's right never . For some one who doesn't care about what I think
you sure as hell care about what I do . Very very strange . I could never
Imagine living out the last days of my life being So bitter over nothing .
You should really think about that . I'd you or anyone else has an opinion ,
Question or comment feel free to email me .
Shame on all of us for taking over this guys thread on his accomplishment
Of catching a hall of game worthy ball .
I'm done here .

Get we'll Dave M

Pjl2928
07-28-2014, 07:04 PM
So the Reds came through, and the bat arrived the other day. The barrel has a lot of use on it, so i do not know if it was used at all before he started using his record streak bat or if he used it in bp during that time. It is Mlb authenticated to a game in july, and is signed as promised.

Pjl2928
07-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Also, here is a picture of the signed ball he gave me that night. I forgot to mention the cubs were cool and let me pick a few snipets of ivy for giving the ball back. I did ask if I could do that and they obliged :)

DJaeger22
07-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Everything about this is great! I especially love the ivy! I went to a game in May at wrigley and wanted to take a piece or two but didn't get to.

Juan Gris
07-29-2014, 06:18 AM
Glad to hear the Reds came through and the Cubs were cool enough to let you take some historic ivy! Will you be able to secure the crack in the Mesoraco bat?