Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pjl2928
    • Jun 2013

I caught Devin Mesoraco's record-setting HR

So here is how the story goes. I had traveled to Wrigley Field from Virginia for a couple of games. Tuesday night was the final game of my trip as the Cubs played the Reds in the middle game of a three game series. Devin Mesoraco had homered in 4 straight games and was one shy of tying the Red's record for consecutive games with a homerun. I positioned myself in the leftfield bleachers in his final at-bat of the night, when Mesoraco launched a blast down the line. I ran into the next section over where the ball hit a bleacher and rolled underneath another fan's feet. I grabbed the ball and immediently started hearing the chants of "throw it back." I looked up and three security guards grabbed me and told me to hold onto the ball and that the Reds wanted to negotiate with me. So as security led me out of the bleachers, fans booed and threw things at me because i did not throw the ball back. (Felt like The Bartman incident all over) They took me to the security office underneath the stands where the security officials were watching video of the homerun to ensure i actually was the one who got the ball. The head Chicago Cubs security official then led me to the Reds clubhouse where equipment manager Rick Stowe offered me a signed ball and 4 reds hats. I told him i just wanted to give him the ball back myself, and the batting gloves he used to hit the HR with. He was unable to get the gloves as they were sending those and the bat used during the streak to the HOF. We were able to work out a deal for a signed mlb authenticated game used bat of his in exchange for the ball. Mesoraco was happy to get the ball back and said i was cool about the situation, which he also said to the media and is printed in yesterday's cincinnatti enquirer. The mlb.com story stretched the truth that i was nagging him for stuff. He even gave me a signed ball which i did not ask for. It was a great experience all around.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	741894
  • Pjl2928
    • Jun 2013

Re: I caught Devin Mesoraco's record-setting HR

Here is a picture of the actual record-setting HR ball to tie the Reds record for consective games with a HR.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	697665

Comment

• chakes89
      • May 2006

Cool!
      I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
        • Apr 2007

That's very cool! And what the hell does mlb care if you wanted to negotiate for some stuff? How many record setting homerun balls will a fan catch in their lives?

Comment

• helf35
          • Jul 2013

Exactly why do they care. You could have easily kept it and tried to cash in. Asking for a game bat is in no way nagging.

Comment

• Roady
            • Jun 2012

Guy makes millions of dollars and couldn't pay a little green for it?

Comment

• War Helmets
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Pjl2928
              So here is how the story goes. I had traveled to Wrigley Field from Virginia for a couple of games. Tuesday night was the final game of my trip as the Cubs played the Reds in the middle game of a three game series. Devin Mesoraco had homered in 4 straight games and was one shy of tying the Red's record for consecutive games with a homerun. I positioned myself in the leftfield bleachers in his final at-bat of the night, when Mesoraco launched a blast down the line. I ran into the next section over where the ball hit a bleacher and rolled underneath another fan's feet. I grabbed the ball and immediently started hearing the chants of "throw it back." I looked up and three security guards grabbed me and told me to hold onto the ball and that the Reds wanted to negotiate with me. So as security led me out of the bleachers, fans booed and threw things at me because i did not throw the ball back. (Felt like The Bartman incident all over) They took me to the security office underneath the stands where the security officials were watching video of the homerun to ensure i actually was the one who got the ball. The head Chicago Cubs security official then led me to the Reds clubhouse where equipment manager Rick Stowe offered me a signed ball and 4 reds hats. I told him i just wanted to give him the ball back myself, and the batting gloves he used to hit the HR with. He was unable to get the gloves as they were sending those and the bat used during the streak to the HOF. We were able to work out a deal for a signed mlb authenticated game used bat of his in exchange for the ball. Mesoraco was happy to get the ball back and said i was cool about the situation, which he also said to the media and is printed in yesterday's cincinnatti enquirer. The mlb.com story stretched the truth that i was nagging him for stuff. He even gave me a signed ball which i did not ask for. It was a great experience all around.
              [ATTACH]84914[/ATTACH]
              Way to go man>NICE!

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                Banned
                • Apr 2009

I'm glad you got it, as opposed to one of the Legends-In-Their-Own-Minds on Waveland Avenue. At least a couple of those guys would have rushed the ball to eBay with an inflated opening bid or BIN...after all, a home run ball is worth more if a Wrigley Field Ballhawk catches it, don'tcha know.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• helf35
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
                  I'm glad you got it, as opposed to one of the Legends-In-Their-Own-Minds on Waveland Avenue. At least a couple of those guys would have rushed the ball to eBay with an inflated opening bid or BIN...after all, a home run ball is worth more if a Wrigley Field Ballhawk catches it, don'tcha know.

Dave Miedema
                  Ha! To funny.

Comment

• camarokids
                    • Jun 2006

Awesome story!
                    Thank you,
                    David

This is my email address here!
                    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Comment

• tigerdale
                      • Dec 2007

Awesome story!!!
                      always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
                      Thank you, Dale
                      tigers1984@comcast.net

Comment

• allstarsplus
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Pjl2928
                        equipment manager Rick Stowe offered me a signed ball and 4 reds hats. I told him i just wanted to give him the ball back myself, and the batting gloves he used to hit the HR with. He was unable to get the gloves as they were sending those and the bat used during the streak to the HOF.

The mlb.com story stretched the truth that i was nagging him for stuff. He even gave me a signed ball which i did not ask for. It was a great experience all around.
                        [ATTACH]84914[/ATTACH]

The official website of the Cincinnati Reds with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets and team news.

"He even had to haggle with the fan who caught the ball and was demanding Mesoraco's battling gloves in exchange for it, among other things.

Mesoraco handled the situation with class. The ball was special to him, and he was willing to give the fan what he wanted".

This HR tied a Reds record and didn't break it. It clearly didn't break a MLB consecutive HR record.

My question to you is, are you sure in fact that they are sending the batting gloves and bat to the HOF? I didn't see that mentioned in the articles I scanned.
                        Regards,
                        Andrew Lang
                        AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                        202-716-8500

Comment

• Juan Gris
                          • Jul 2013

Cool story! I'm not sure I could part with a home run ball I personally grabbed under any circumstances (within reason, of course), especially one hit by a player I was a fan of like Mesoraco. Minus being thrown a ball from a guy warming up in the bullpen when I was a boy, I've never caught a ball at a game.

Any chance you could share pics of the bat?

Comment

• tknorm
                            • Oct 2005

Great experience! Thx for sharing it.

Comment

• Pjl2928
                              • Jun 2013

He is actually sending me the bat. I filled out a contract with the reds before i left which stated in exchange for the ball i would get a mlb authenticated, signed game used bat. He had only been using one bat during the streak, so they offered me a game issued bat which i declined. I told Devin i collected game-used stuff so they worked with me. As far as ever thinking about keeping and selling the ball, it was a no brainer. This was Devin's ball and i did not want to take away from the moment for him (remember what Chris Coghlan had to go through to get his 1st HR ball back. His experience ruined the moment for him) i really only wanted to meet mesoraco, take some pictures with him, and pick up a game used memento. In all honesty the game used bat will be cooler than a pair of batting gloves anyway. For me it was all about the experience. I have a story i can tell for the rest of my life, instead of a guilty feeling for keeping or selling the ball for my own personal gain, denying a great guy like Devin from enjoying HIS moment.

Comment

Working...