PDA

View Full Version : Whose MLB Debut Game Used Jersey would you rather Have? Polanco or Kershaw???

KGoldin
07-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Gregory Polanco MLB Debut jersey sold for $26,000

Here is Clayton Kershaw's MLB Debut Game Used Jersey, Photo matched, signed, inscribed, etc.

http://www.goldinauctions.com/2008_Clayton_Kershaw_Game_Worn__Signed_and_Photo_M-LOT9988.aspx

CURRENT BID $7500.
I dunno...its a tough call isn't it......

xsentrixsupra
07-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Not a tough choice for me! LA kid.....Kershaw all the way :D

CollectGU
07-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Mariano Rivera's 2001 WS jersey over both of them, its a part of history....

Phil316
07-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Kershaw

PAC
07-04-2014, 05:34 AM
Mariano Rivera's 2001 WS jersey over both of them, its a part of history....

A or B question, and you pick Z. I bet you did great in school.

KGoldin
07-04-2014, 09:27 AM
the question was a but rhetorical
If we poll all 9000 registered members, I can't think one sane one would say " I would rather have the polanco" or think that Polanco is a better long term investment then the Kershaw.
I Thorpe the Kershaw goes for $40k....but perhaps maybe a GUU member will get lucky on it with all the focus on Babe Ruth

bigben7
07-04-2014, 09:42 AM
I would rather have the Polanco over the Kershaw. Pitchers have too much of a risk. I keep on thinking about Mark Prior and even Strasburg has not been living up to the hype. There is too much of a risk getting hurt and just being average at best.

Hoosier39
07-04-2014, 10:05 AM
I would rather have the Polanco over the Kershaw. Pitchers have too much of a risk. I keep on thinking about Mark Prior and even Strasburg has not been living up to the hype. There is too much of a risk getting hurt and just being average at best.

Kershaw isn't avg, nor will he be. He's already a winner and will get more hardware to add for the next 15 yrs. injuries can happen to anyone.

Kershaw all the way. Polanco has proved nothing yet. Even if he turns into a McCutchen, you're looking at what, a $1,000 jersey?

5toolplayer
07-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Ummm to each his own :rolleyes:

danesei@yahoo.com
07-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Kershaw isn't avg, nor will he be. He's already a winner and will get more hardware to add for the next 15 yrs. injuries can happen to anyone.

Kershaw all the way. Polanco has proved nothing yet. Even if he turns into a McCutchen, you're looking at what, a $1,000 jersey?

Kershaw *could* turn into Lincecum. Also, I doubt that people are speculating on Polanco's ceiling being McCutchen. They're probably expecting Vladimir Guerrero or Dave Winfield as a floor, and Hank Aaron as the ceiling. In any event, the rumor was that the Pirates players won the auction so that Polanco could keep his debut jersey. I thought that was a very nice sentiment, and does explain the hammer price.

Kershaw has already had a back injury and a hip injury. He's managed to rehab through both, but the history of injury is there. So, one really never knows where Kershaw's career will vector until it's over.

KGoldin
07-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Kershaw *could* turn into Lincecum. Also, I doubt that people are speculating on Polanco's ceiling being McCutchen. They're probably expecting Vladimir Guerrero or Dave Winfield as a floor, and Hank Aaron as the ceiling. In any event, the rumor was that the Pirates players won the auction so that Polanco could keep his debut jersey. I thought that was a very nice sentiment, and does explain the hammer price.

Kershaw has already had a back injury and a hip injury. He's managed to rehab through both, but the history of injury is there. So, one really never knows where Kershaw's career will vector until it's over.

i will tell you this
Not that either of them will ever be traded, but if there was completely free trade with no refusals of trades by players allowed, I do not think there is a single player in baseball the dodgers, or any team in baseball would accept in trade for Kershaw with the possibility of. Mike trout and that's it....and I doubt the dodgers would take trout even up for Kershaw......

Chess2899
07-04-2014, 06:01 PM
As an avid Greg Maddux collector and with a high degree of baseball knowledge, Kershaw is the next King of the Hill.
However, you should all ignore this jersey for the following reasons:

1. Uniform number has changed from his rookie year and this uniform will mess up any uniform display you might create.
2. He is injury prone and a poor investment risk.
3. His signature sucks just like Maddux.
4. Prices on game used items are sky high right now and the buyer of this jersey will take a loss in 5 years, so be patient until then.
5. I had a talk with Kershaw while he was in rehab in Chattanooga, and he has other plans for the future, so his playing days will be limited mimicking Koufax.
6. He won't win 355 games like Maddux and Maddux's jersey is just at $1700 in the auction.
7. Most importantly, I am bidding on the Kershaw jersey, so you all keep your greedy little paws off it.

Chess

danesei@yahoo.com
07-04-2014, 06:05 PM
i will tell you this
Not that either of them will ever be traded, but if there was completely free trade with no refusals of trades by players allowed, I do not think there is a single player in baseball the dodgers, or any team in baseball would accept in trade for Kershaw with the possibility of. Mike trout and that's it....and I doubt the dodgers would take trout even up for Kershaw......

I can almost guarantee that the Dodgers would take Trout straight-up for Kershaw, even if that meant five OFs for the moment.

2015-2021 Kershaw salary: $193mm with possible opt-out after 2018.
2015-2021 Trout salary: $144.5mm with no opt-out options.

That extra $48.5mm would go a long way when trying to get rid of Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford and Andre Ethier. They could package two of those to the Mariners plus some cash and land King Felix and a prospect or two.

yanks12025
07-04-2014, 06:14 PM
How about neither jersey because their not worth the price they go for. Neither player will end up being a top 10 or 20 all time player.

KGoldin
07-04-2014, 06:48 PM
How about neither jersey because their not worth the price they go for. Neither player will end up being a top 10 or 20 all time player.

First off, I disagree and think Kershaw will retire easily a top 20 all time pitcher if not top 10' and top 3 of past 50 years. Yes, I am very high on him

Second: the logic of "top ten all time" doesn't hold water in value. You think Derek Jeter is top 40 all time let alone top 20?
I don't
But he has fans and is loved and collected

Hoosier39
07-04-2014, 06:52 PM

If you're going to say injuries this and that for Kershaw, the same can be said for Polanco, who by the way has done nothing.

And where did you get Vlad, Dave Winfield and HANK AARON in comparison to Polanco. Come on man.

KGoldin
07-04-2014, 06:59 PM
First off, I disagree and think Kershaw will retire easily a top 20 all time pitcher if not top 10' and top 3 of past 50 years. Yes, I am very high on him

Second: the logic of "top ten all time" doesn't hold water in value. You think Derek Jeter is top 40 all time let alone top 20?
I don't
But he has fans and is loved and collected

BTW..speaking of dodger left handlers and values...
Last time I checked, two Koufax 1965 jerseys EACH sold for over $250,000 in th past three months
That is more then DOUBLE what comparative Mays and AAron jerseys have sold for from same era and grade
Mays considered by Many greatest all around player....

DJaeger22
07-04-2014, 07:05 PM
BTW..speaking of dodger left handlers and values...
Last time I checked, two Koufax 1965 jerseys EACH sold for over $250,000 in th past three months
That is more then DOUBLE what comparative Mays and AAron jerseys have sold for from same era and grade
Mays considered by Many greatest all around player....

And Koufax had a relatively short career since he retired still in his prime.

Phil316
07-04-2014, 07:30 PM
You also have to take into consideration how many Kershaw jersey's will be (are) floating around for sale compared to how many legit Koufax jersey's you see.

KGoldin
07-04-2014, 07:33 PM
You also have to take into consideration how many Kershaw jersey's will be (are) floating around for sale compared to how many legit Koufax jersey's you see.
I wouldn't dare compare the value of Kershaw to Koufax for game used
I was comparing Koufax to Mays and AAron, to demonstrate a point About hitters vs pitchers, and " top 5 all time " hitters vs a Dodger pitcher
Keepin mind, we are talking MLB debut jerseys....and no matter who thee player is, Mays, Aaron, Jeter, Kershaw, Springer or Polanco, in that particular case, there is only one.

ChrisCavalier
07-04-2014, 09:36 PM
In terms of the question in the title of this thread, there is absolutely no question in my mind that I would take Kershaw's MLB debut jersey at this stage of his career over Polanco's at this stage of his career.

There is also simply no rational argument I can think of to justify Polanco's over Kershaw's at this stage of their careers.

-Chris

KGoldin
07-04-2014, 11:02 PM
I hear the Rockies hit pretty well....leading the majors.....and in Denver!

DENVER -- Clayton Kershaw nearly had no-hit stuff against Colorado again, allowing only two singles over eight masterful innings as the Los Angeles Dodgers beat the Rockies 9-0 on Friday night.

Kershaw (10-2) extended his scoreless streak to 36 innings before being replaced by a pinch hitter in the ninth.

The hard-throwing lefty bottled up the top-hitting team in the majors in nearly matching the no-hitter he threw against the Rockies on June 18 at Dodger Stadium. Kershaw struck out eight and walked one.

Yasiel Puig hit a two-run homer and Scott Van Slyke added a three-run homer as the Dodgers had a season-high 19 hits.

CollectGU
07-04-2014, 11:45 PM
A or B question, and you pick Z. I bet you did great in school.

It was never really an actual question with an A or B answer, genius. He was stating which one was obviously (at least to most) more valuable through the use of a question...So yes, I still pick Z... Sorry to hijack, but felt Einstein deserving of a response

KGoldin
07-04-2014, 11:48 PM
It was never really an actual question with an A or B answer, genius. He was stating which one was obviously (at least to most) more valuable through the use of a question...So yes, I still pick Z... Sorry to hijack, but felt Einstein deserving of a response

ZERO problem on my end, and yes I was being rhetorical to begin with, because OBVIOUSLY common sense tells you Kershaw over Polanco! And YES, I think the Rivera World Series Game Used jersey from 2001 is historically significant and a great item. Its also the only Rivera World Series jersey I have seen for sale

http://www.goldinauctions.com/2001_Mariano_Rivera_Game_Used_and_Signed_New_York_-LOT10167.aspx

xsentrixsupra
07-05-2014, 12:04 PM
As an avid Greg Maddux collector and with a high degree of baseball knowledge, Kershaw is the next King of the Hill.
However, you should all ignore this jersey for the following reasons:

1. Uniform number has changed from his rookie year and this uniform will mess up any uniform display you might create.
2. He is injury prone and a poor investment risk.
3. His signature sucks just like Maddux.
4. Prices on game used items are sky high right now and the buyer of this jersey will take a loss in 5 years, so be patient until then.
5. I had a talk with Kershaw while he was in rehab in Chattanooga, and he has other plans for the future, so his playing days will be limited mimicking Koufax.
6. He won't win 355 games like Maddux and Maddux's jersey is just at $1700 in the auction.
7. Most importantly, I am bidding on the Kershaw jersey, so you all keep your greedy little paws off it.

Chess

One thing you aren't taking into consideration though is the LA market. All teams LA or NY get pumped up in value just because of the financial backing of the fan base.

I also wouldn't call him injury prone. Hes only had 1 major injury in his majors career and that was earlier this year and he appears to have worked his way back.

KGoldin
07-05-2014, 12:10 PM
One thing you aren't taking into consideration though is the LA market. All teams LA or NY get pumped up in value just because of the financial backing of the fan base.

I also wouldn't call him injury prone. Hes only had 1 major injury in his majors career and that was earlier this year and he appears to have worked his way back.

the entire board needs a sarcasm meter....Chris, please have one installed!
key comment in his post should have been noted that he is bidding and wants no competition!

xsentrixsupra
07-05-2014, 01:41 PM
the entire board needs a sarcasm meter....Chris, please have one installed!
key comment in his post should have been noted that he is bidding and wants no competition!

I'm 100% positive if you could code in a sarcasm meter in the vBulletin software it would be worth more than either of the mentioned jerseys :D

danesei@yahoo.com
07-06-2014, 04:56 AM
If you're going to say injuries this and that for Kershaw, the same can be said for Polanco, who by the way has done nothing.

And where did you get Vlad, Dave Winfield and HANK AARON in comparison to Polanco. Come on man.

The point wasn't that *I* believe he's the same as those. I was merely explaining why the jersey would have been bid so high. Someone must believe the jersey had a value to have been the under-bidder against the Pirates teammates, and it seemed a lot more reasonable that the individual would be expecting those types of numbers than merely :p McCutchen.

Chess2899
07-11-2014, 03:25 PM
My hopes for the Kershaw jersey are fading fast. Bid is at $27,000 at 4pm.
Brutal! Do I want an ocean front condo or the first Kershaw jersey?