Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enyouartist
    • Jul 2011

Dealing with GU reps for ASG items

Has someone educate me on how this works? Last couple of years, I feel like I've gotten jerked around. I had interest on several items that were priced, and told my rep than I wanted to purchase the item. Then I was told someone had first priority, so I couldn't have it. Maybe it's all my fault, but I then offered $1000 more than list price. Still couldn't have it.

Then I was offered some home run balls. I really wasn't super interested, but I decided to entertain it. They were priced $750, and I offered to buy two for $1000. The rep said he would check, then he said his other rep said he had someone that offered more.

This year, I was interested in another jersey but it was priced $1000 more than last year's jersey. I was told that someone else had interest in them, so that's why it's priced higher. I just feel like I'm talking to a car salesman, and the whole thing turns me off. Would people that have had some experience post on their experiences?
  • MercyMe78
    • Mar 2013

Re: Dealing with GU reps for ASG items

Originally posted by Enyouartist
    Has someone educate me on how this works? Last couple of years, I feel like I've gotten jerked around. I had interest on several items that were priced, and told my rep than I wanted to purchase the item. Then I was told someone had first priority, so I couldn't have it. Maybe it's all my fault, but I then offered $1000 more than list price. Still couldn't have it.

Then I was offered some home run balls. I really wasn't super interested, but I decided to entertain it. They were priced $750, and I offered to buy two for $1000. The rep said he would check, then he said his other rep said he had someone that offered more.

This year, I was interested in another jersey but it was priced $1000 more than last year's jersey. I was told that someone else had interest in them, so that's why it's priced higher. I just feel like I'm talking to a car salesman, and the whole thing turns me off. Would people that have had some experience post on their experiences?
    Apparently there is only one rep that is responsible for selling all of the jerseys this year and they go through him now. The two jerseys I inquired about were already sold to previous year buyers and some were still pending MLB approval.

Comment

• onlyalbert
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by MercyMe78
      Apparently there is only one rep that is responsible for selling all of the jerseys this year and they go through him now. The two jerseys I inquired about were already sold to previous year buyers and some were still pending MLB approval.
      I don't think that is the case. I know fir sure multiple reps are selling the jerseys. There seems to be some fuzziness about how it all works. I was priced a range for a certain jersey. Said I'd take it. Then was told the person that bought it last year has first dibs......unless I wanted to offer $250 more. Then it would go to me. We will see how it plays out.

Comment

• Chipperdr
        • Jan 2014

Anyone have the email for the reps?

Comment

• Wrigley2010
          • Sep 2010

Honestly, I just wish MLB would put all of the All Star gear on their auction site. Why is a middle man needed? Let the market determine the prices!!

Also, how are they determining what these items are worth? Other than being told by MLB we want this much so see how much you can make on top of that. I think it's absurd and slightly distasteful for MLB to take this approach when making their Game Used Gear available to the fans.

Comment

• The natural
            Banned
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Chipperdr
            Anyone have the email for the reps?
            Email me for information on 2014 mlb all star game
            Items. I have the exclusive with mlb on game used BP jerseys
            Nameplates, and other game used items from the events.

Let me know who you are interested in and I'll work on trying to
            Get those items for you.

Thanks and talk to you soon.

Smcrae@thehighlandmint.com

Steven McRae

Comment

• G1X
              • Nov 2005

Steven,

It seems that some of the same issues and complaints arose last year regarding the methodology of how the jerseys are sold. Could you please enlighten members of this Forum so that everyone has a complete understanding of how the system works?

Thank you,

Mark Hayne
              Gridiron Exchange

Comment

• cfern023
                • Aug 2012

I was offered a jersey for 1500 yesterday, to which I agreed by email. Today I got an email saying $2250 if I want it and to let him know ASAP.

The next email says someone offered 2k and it's mine for 2250. I have more integrity than that- I'm passing.

I think it'll be better to wait for the source to actually have the items in hand and buy them then. Can't get jerked around that way- either you win the bid or you don't.

This is striking me as a used car salesman without the car, and four other salesman are selling the same car.

Comment

• simmo2332
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by cfern023
                  I was offered a jersey for 1500 yesterday, to which I agreed by email. Today I got an email saying $2250 if I want it and to let him know ASAP.

The next email says someone offered 2k and it's mine for 2250. I have more integrity than that- I'm passing.

I think it'll be better to wait for the source to actually have the items in hand and buy them then. Can't get jerked around that way- either you win the bid or you don't.

This is striking me as a used car salesman without the car, and four other salesman are selling the same car.
                  Bingo. Same here with another jersey situation...

Comment

• yanks12025
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by cfern023

If he offered you a price and you agreed on the price, isn't that considered a legal contract? Then them making you pay higher for said item would be breaking the contract. Would it not??

Comment

• simmo2332
                      • Aug 2011

This is pretty ridiculous IMO...I was told yesterday by Steven that I had a jersey for $1,000 and he would tell MLB that I would pay that. Told that the jersey was mine and the jersey was then "reserved for me." Others had inquired about the jersey but were told that someone else had already reserved it and wasn't available. However, today I receive an email from good ol' Steven saying that another customer wants it at the SAME PRICE as me of $1,000 and I MUST OFFER $1,250 or it will go to the other person. HUH?!?!?

Comment

• cfern023
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by yanks12025
                        If he offered you a price and you agreed on the price, isn't that considered a legal contract? Then them making you pay higher for said item would be breaking the contract. Would it not??
                        No way for me to prove he read the email- or that he even got it.

Subpoena's would be needed for information, and at the end of the day- would all the legal hoops be worth it for a 1500 purchase?

Now, if we can prove he's done this to multiple people and if we find a legal leg to stand on it could be a problem for the seller I think.

Comment

• beachpetrol
                          • Aug 2013

Sounds like a form of Bait and Switch.

Comment

• Phil316
                            • May 2013

Some companies have no class, no integrity, nothing. Best thing everyone can do is save your money and not waste your time. This has been a common practice for Highland Mint.

Comment

• The natural
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2013

Nothing of what you all are implying, saying, and or complaining about is warranted a reply but I will not watch my name be used as a scapegoat in your little forum.

You all have my email address and if you have questions please by all means contact me directly and ask me. I will be more than happy to thoroughly explain how we deal with the ASG and how the process works.

There is no bait and switch here. There is nothing illegal going on.

You all so desperately want these items yet at the end of the day rather complain to each other instead of actually buying them. You are unhappy that someone else is getting the piece you want so badly but never pull the trigger.

We go higher and you complain. But you all try to make us go lower and that is okay. Economics 101....supply and demand. There is one item available and 25 people want it. Do you sell it to the first person in line for $1???

Again, please refrain from slandering me or my company based on no evidence. You can email me or call me anytime!!! If you truly have issues with "how to deal with reps for asg items" you shouldn't talk amongst people who have never done it.

Steven McRae
                              1-800-544-6134 ext 137
                              Smcrae@thehighlandmint.com

Comment

Working...