PDA

View Full Version : Just big name players available?

33bird
12-22-2006, 01:39 PM
I noticed if I ask for shipping records of the big name players you guys have them, but if I ask for a Mike Lum or Doug Flynn, then you don't have them? Just the big names available? Thanks,
Greg

MSpecht
12-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi Greg--

Here is a blog from the Experts corner that may be interesting if you have not already read it:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=151

Basically, when H & B first allowed their records to be accessed by co-authors Vince Malta, Bill Riddell, and myself following puublication of the book BATS, it marked the first time such access had been granted to any researchers. Prior to that time, the mid-1990s, if a collector wanted info about any H & B records, the "go-to guy" inside of H & B was Rex Bradley, who would generally resopond to inquiries in a general way. When we were ultimately allowed access to obtain any and all records we wanted, we basically concentrated on Hall of Fame players, plus about 100 or 150 players that we had collectively termed "retired Stars" in our book. That category included players such as Dave Kingman, George Foster, and Joe Rudi, as well as older players such as Hank Bauer and Gil McDougald.

As a small handful of other researchers such as Dave Bushing were given access to the reecords a few years later, their interest was, I believe, also primarily on Hall of Fame players, plus additional players for whatever reason they may have had. Clearly, there were many overlaps in which records were obtained during that period of time.

Eventually a small core group of other collectors were successful in obtaining co-operation from a H & B employee who was much more generous in responding to requests than M. Bradley had been earlier, and additional records were obtained.

Put all of those factors together, and here is what you currently have:

1. Complete (in terms of all available) records from 1920 to present for every currently enshrined Hall of Fame player . These records have been available to fewer than a half dozen persons until last week, when all of the records were posted on the Game Used Universe web site in the Game Used Library section, and are now available to all collectors through a GUU membership. These records are clearly the Holy Grail for bat collectors.

2. H & B records for approximately 300 or so additional non- Hall of Fame players available through the GUU forums from archives generated by Jim Caravello and myself. These records are a bit eclectic, and include the "retired stars" previously mentioned , but also many of our personal favorite players (Jim is particularly heavy on Yankees -- I will certainly check with him before grabbing that Horace Glarke or Oscar Gamble gamer). Those records were the genesis for the ASK ABOUT BAT SHIPPING RECORDS forum.

3. A wealth of information in more specific areas available from other GUU forum members -- Jeff on Cardinals bats, Marcus on vintage bats, Bob on Kingman bats, Brett and others on Ripken, Reid on Henderson, Carlie and others on McGwire, and numerous others I correspond with regularly.

4. Outstanding information and research contained on individual websites (which have been listed in previous posts) such as those maintained by Andy Benish, Art Jaffe, John Taube, Jeff Scott, Dave Grob and others which all contain outstanding information and valuable references.

Basically, in my opinion, the amount of info currently available is such that no one should ever again be placed in the position of making an uninformed purchase of a bat. Unfortunately, the wolves are still out there looking for sheep, and there are examples in nearly every major auction of bats being described, and at times authenticated, as something other than what they actually are.

Back to you original question Greg-- ask about any player you want...if we don't have specific records on that player, someone on the forum may be able to provide some insight. And who knows, I am still waiting on questions to be asked about Nate Colbert and Bobby Avila.

All the best and Happy Holidays.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com