PDA

View Full Version : Best Basketball Auction House?

MikeKam
07-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Hello,

I'm hoping to get some input on what auction houses tend to get the best prices on game used basketball jerseys. I'm looking to sell two in the near future and I'm unsure if I want to sell them on eBay first or just go the auction house route. I've never consigned an item, but am pretty familiar with auction houses and I do not believe there is one that focuses specifically on basketball. The two jerseys I'm looking to consign have a comparable in each of Goldin and Greyflannel, where they did quite well, as well as Paragon where did extremely well.

Would love to hear some input, thanks!

Phil316
07-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Goldin.

MikeKam
07-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Goldin.

So far Goldin/Paragon seem like the best choice for the jerseys I'm trying to sell, seeing if anyone else has opinions though :)

urzaworld
07-16-2014, 08:08 PM
c'mon man! Hands down Grey Flannel Auctions. Especially when consigned to the HOF auction. They are tied in with the Basketball Hall of Fame as official authenticator.
-Harvey

hbrgrate
07-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Hi Mike, can u email me at ndg311@gmail.com , Thanks!

Basketball-collector
07-17-2014, 10:38 AM
The BEST auction house for basketball items is definately Grey Flannel Auctions as previous mentioned. However, if it's a Lakers related item, consign it to David Kohler of SCP. He might even buy it himself.

urzaworld
07-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Sometimes if you find the right motivated seller privately. The sale of the NBA item will surpass what an auction house will command. Of course , very dependent of item.
-Harvey

urzaworld
07-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Sometimes if you find the right motivated seller privately. The sale of the NBA item will surpass what an auction house will command. Of course , very dependent of item.
-Harvey

I meant buyer.
-Harvey

MikeKam
07-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys, still unsure what I should do. Thinking I might try selling it privately first but then my three choices for auction house are still:

Grey Flannel, Paragon and Goldin.

Grey Flannel seems to have the best reputation for basketball items.
Paragon seems to have brought the most for a similar item in the recent past.
Goldin seems like a balance between the two.

Going to see how much these auction houses take from the sale, I'm guessing their commissions are all different.

Phil316
07-17-2014, 10:05 PM
I know I would not want my items anywhere near that auction house.

All you have to do is do a search in this forum and see for yourself.

You really are better off consigning with a company whom cares about what they sell.

MikeKam
07-17-2014, 10:28 PM
I know I would not want my items anywhere near that auction house.

All you have to do is do a search in this forum and see for yourself.

You really are better off consigning with a company whom cares about what they sell.

Mind me asking your thoughts on Paragon if you have any?

Phil316
07-17-2014, 11:14 PM
I honestly have never dealt with them. I do know that they have in the past pulled auctions when messaged about an item not being authentic. So that has to hold some weight.

Steeleraddict
07-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Grey flannel is the one ah I dont have an account with. And never will. Wouldn't bid in their auction ever. As Phil has said look up their history. I have my own stories as do many here. Customer service is horrible, the lady who answers the phone who I think is his wife. How they physically treat consignments. Stay away!!

MikeKam
07-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Grey flannel is the one ah I dont have an account with. And never will. Wouldn't bid in their auction ever. As Phil has said look up their history. I have my own stories as do many here. Customer service is horrible, the lady who answers the phone who I think is his wife. How they physically treat consignments. Stay away!!

I guess that rules out Grey Flannel haha.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

urzaworld
07-18-2014, 03:29 PM
I guess that rules out Grey Flannel haha.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

Every auction house has it's suspect item, not ONE auction house has 100% transparency. The original question was asked which auction house suits the needs of NBA items- bar none GFC has always sold and done the best as far as NBA consignments. I doubt if The Basketball HOF's board members is comprised of dumski's. Again, the thread started with an honest question and unfortunately some answers with the intentions of gaining brownie points to specific companies was instead thrown out there.
-Harvey

teddy406
07-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Goldin is not the basketball place to go for most game used basketball items. Grey Flannel is the big money maker for Basketball. Goldin for baseball-and others.

Phil316
07-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Every auction house has it's suspect item, not ONE auction house has 100% transparency. The original question was asked which auction house suits the needs of NBA items- bar none GFC has always sold and done the best as far as NBA consignments. I doubt if The Basketball HOF's board members is comprised of dumski's. Again, the thread started with an honest question and unfortunately some answers with the intentions of gaining brownie points to specific companies was instead thrown out there.
-Harvey

:rolleyes:

MikeKam
07-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Looking at some of the prices Goldin got in tonights auction, I definitely know where to consign my baseball stuff.

urzaworld
07-19-2014, 03:14 AM
:d

MikeKam
07-19-2014, 09:22 AM
:d

I'm serious, I buy items to flip and I could not find a single good deal although I did win one lot.

The only deal that I see went for a good price (depending on how much the buyer is paying for shipping) is this one:

http://www.goldinauctions.com/1961_New_York_Yankees_Signed_and_Framed_Collection-LOT11175.aspx

Some of the items went for absurd prices:
http://www.goldinauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=9921
http://www.goldinauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=10623
http://www.goldinauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=10230

Then there were a ton of single signed baseballs (DiMaggio, Mantle) that went for double what I know people like me would pay for them, and then I'm not even sure if I could've sold them for 3/4 of what they went for.

I am talking about autographs though, no idea about the game used stuff, it might've gone for reasonable prices.