PDA

View Full Version : Deion sanders gu bat

Sportskansascity
07-23-2014, 02:58 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew deion sanders gu bat characteristics. Any help would be appreciated!

danesei@yahoo.com
07-23-2014, 06:36 PM
The only Taube authenticated bat that I found had "24" written on the knob and showed 15 grains. Your bat shows neither of these characteristics, so I'd guess it's not a gamer.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-23-2014, 06:38 PM
The only Taube authenticated bat that I found had "24" written on the knob and showed 15 grains. Your bat shows neither of these characteristics, so I'd guess it's not a gamer.

Here is the LOA:

http://www.collectauctions.com/ItemImages/000011/C8712f_lg.jpeg
http://www.collectauctions.com/ItemImages/000011/C8712g_lg.jpeg

Hoosier39
07-23-2014, 06:46 PM

So one of your reasonings for it not being a gamer is because it doesn't have 15 grains? You were only kidding right?

Hoosier39
07-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Also too, the bat in question is a Reds bat. You are comparing this bat to a Braves bat. Kinda tough to do that since players/equipment managers change throughout the yrs.

gorilla777
07-23-2014, 07:03 PM
So one of your reasonings for it not being a gamer is because it doesn't have 15 grains? You were only kidding right?

He is correct...little known fact, Deion would only accept bats that came from trees originating Fifteen Grain Forest, just Northwest of the Portland area. Neon was very particular on this aspect and would accept nothing less...

Sportskansascity
07-23-2014, 07:29 PM
So this in all likely isn't a game used bat of deion?

danesei@yahoo.com
07-23-2014, 11:15 PM
Also too, the bat in question is a Reds bat. You are comparing this bat to a Braves bat. Kinda tough to do that since players/equipment managers change throughout the yrs.

I'm curious on how you know the bat in question is a Reds bat. The OP makes no mention of that. Also, 24 v 15 is kind of a large difference, but I suppose, if the bat in OP's post is from 2001, and the Braves bat is from the 1991 end of the 1991-1994 range, that's reasonable. I'm not being facetious here.

However, if the Braves bat is from 1994, and the OP's bat is from 1994/1995, that's a bit extreme for one or two years of separation in trees.

Heritage Auctions had a black Braves bat that had 14 grains.

I realize that members here enjoy mocking my thoughts on the number of grains/growth rings in the bat, but absent a huge disparity in ages of trees (younger trees would have more grains, since the rings would be theoretically narrower), I would think players would try to maintain consistency with their bats. If 14/15 grain bats were available in the mid-90s, it would have required a LOT of deforestation in the late-90s to make the only available bats 24 grains in 2001.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Disregard the comment about the bat being from the Reds. I found the listing on eBay.

Hoosier39
07-24-2014, 12:21 AM
So you still don't think it's a "gamer" then?

I'm curious on how you know the bat in question is a Reds bat. The OP makes no mention of that. Also, 24 v 15 is kind of a large difference, but I suppose, if the bat in OP's post is from 2001, and the Braves bat is from the 1991 end of the 1991-1994 range, that's reasonable. I'm not being facetious here.

However, if the Braves bat is from 1994, and the OP's bat is from 1994/1995, that's a bit extreme for one or two years of separation in trees.

Heritage Auctions had a black Braves bat that had 14 grains.

I realize that members here enjoy mocking my thoughts on the number of grains/growth rings in the bat, but absent a huge disparity in ages of trees (younger trees would have more grains, since the rings would be theoretically narrower), I would think players would try to maintain consistency with their bats. If 14/15 grain bats were available in the mid-90s, it would have required a LOT of deforestation in the late-90s to make the only available bats 24 grains in 2001.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Heritage sold a Cincinnati Sanders bat that said "Pop Sanders" on the barrel and 24 written on the knob:

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-collectibles/bats/deion-sanders-game-used-and-signed-bat-the-remarkable-dual-sport-phenom-deion-sanders-had-command-both-on-the-playing-fiel/a/48065-45121.s

The bat is a low grain count (13.5) knob, so I still haven't been able to find information to think the OP bat is a gamer. After looking at the eBay listing, at least I know it isn't a rookie era bat, as claimed by the seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331268325642

danesei@yahoo.com
07-24-2014, 12:42 AM
My mistake on the Heritage link. That's also a Braves bat. The Reds bat was in a Leland's auction:

http://www.lelands.com/auction/AuctionDetail/35862/February-2007-Lelands-Gaynor/Internet-Only/Game-Used-Baseball/Lot89~Deion-Sanders-Cincinnati-Reds-Game-Used-Baseball-Bat

Hoosier39
07-24-2014, 10:05 PM
Do you normally look at the number of grains to determine if a bat is good or not, because I respectfully disagree with you on this. I hope you do though, because your one less person bidding on the bats I want.

I guess I don't understand why you would come on here and say that you guess a bat isn't a "gamer" because the grain number isn't enough.

And you do realize Prime Time was one of his nicknames right? Just because his jersey number isn't on the knob doesn't mean the bat isn't a "gamer".

Do I think the bat is fine, yes I do. Am I 100% sure? Well of course not without having it in hand. But do research before you post, but in the last few months, your posts have been inaccurate and cause issues with deals. If you don't know what you're talking about, then don't post on the topic. At least ask questions if you aren't sure. I'm sorry, but your grain comment for your reasoning of it "I guess not being a gamer" is plain silly. The original poster would not have bid on the bat because of this. How frustrating.

Nnunnari
07-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Chris- I seriously ask that you ban Danesei from this forum. I am not going to torture myself and read all of his posts, but if you do, I am sure you will find the vast majority of his statements are factually incorrect.
His constant false claims are not only embarassing for the forum but could have serious consequences for people seeking answers/advice on their items. Many people assume the posters on here are experienced, knowledgable and credible collectors.
Danesei violates forum policy #17 almost 100% of the time.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Chris- I seriously ask that you ban Danesei from this forum. I am not going to torture myself and read all of his posts, but if you do, I am sure you will find the vast majority of his statements are factually incorrect.
His constant false claims are not only embarassing for the forum but could have serious consequences for people seeking answers/advice on their items. Many people assume the posters on here are experienced, knowledgable and credible collectors.

I don't see how any of my posts are personal attacks, Nick. If anything, you would be violating Rule #17. I'm trying to help people better understand what things to look for. Just because someone is wrong doesn't mean they're intentionally hurting the hobby.

Hoosier39
07-26-2014, 11:51 AM
I don't see how any of my posts are personal attacks, Nick. If anything, you would be violating Rule #17. I'm trying to help people better understand what things to look for. Just because someone is wrong doesn't mean they're intentionally hurting the hobby.

I don't think you are intentionally doing anything, but you really need to watch how you word things. Giving opinions is one thing, but when you say, "so I guess it's not a gamer", could turn the original poster from buying this bat when it could be completely fine.

Furthermore, if I was the owner of this Deion bat, I would be upset by false opinions since it's hurting my sale.

And lastly, people use this site all the time to search old posts about opinions, bat records, etc. You don't want someone 3 yrs from now finding this thread and not buying a bat because it has a 12 grain instead of a 15. Which by the way, please keep doing that if you feel that strongly about it. One less person I'll be bidding against.

Just please watch how you word things. If you aren't for sure, it's best to not chime in due to the reasons above. I mean this in the most respectful way possible.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-26-2014, 05:17 PM
And lastly, people use this site all the time to search old posts about opinions, bat records, etc. You don't want someone 3 yrs from now finding this thread and not buying a bat because it has a 12 grain instead of a 15. Which by the way, please keep doing that if you feel that strongly about it. One less person I'll be bidding against.

That's fine. However, for the record, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying I wouldn't buy a 24 grain bat, when most known ones are 15. I wouldn't really notice 12 v 15, but 24 v 15 would make me pass, since it'd look off without access to specific information about the rest of the bat.

Hoosier39
07-26-2014, 05:26 PM
The 12 vs 15 grain was just an example, and ultimately irrelevant.

That's fine. However, for the record, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying I wouldn't buy a 24 grain bat, when most known ones are 15. I wouldn't really notice 12 v 15, but 24 v 15 would make me pass, since it'd look off without access to specific information about the rest of the bat.

MikeKam
07-26-2014, 05:34 PM

I agree. I come here looking for knowledge on game used items and there are TONS of people who are experts on certain things and give me their opinion free of charge, for which I am thankful. I do, however, not like when someone is "guessing" on an item and may lead me wrong. I know this comes off as very selfish and maybe even disrespectful, but stick to what you know.

I posted asking for opinions on a Carter jersey a while back, Dane's first comment was that he believed it might've been a Chinese knock-off, not game used/issued/authentic replica, but Chinese knock-off.

Turns out it was an authentic game worn jersey.

R. C. Walker
07-26-2014, 07:11 PM

Your first "guess" puts doubt in the bat with information based on one "authenticated" bat by the Wizard of Bat knowledge, John Taube.

You follow up with your preference or reasoning on why you wouldn't buy the bat.

Right or wrong, people rely on this forum for most of their game used information. Not guesses. As stated prior by Hoosier39, "I would be upset by false opinions since it's hurting my sale". Your opinions are fine, but I don't think your contradictions are.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Your first "guess" puts doubt in the bat with information based on one "authenticated" bat by the Wizard of Bat knowledge, John Taube.

You follow up with your preference or reasoning on why you wouldn't buy the bat.

Right or wrong, people rely on this forum for most of their game used information. Not guesses. As stated prior by Hoosier39, "I would be upset by false opinions since it's hurting my sale". Your opinions are fine, but I don't think your contradictions are.

I'm going to state that this is an issue of context. The first quote was in reference to why I don't think the bat is a game used bat. I said I'd guess it's not a gamer. That's an opinion on the validity of the bat as a gamer, based upon gamer comparisons available online for Deion Sanders game used bats.

The second quote is in reference to Hoosier39 stating that he's happy I'd pass a 12 grain bat when known gamers are 15 grains. I was merely clarifying that my statements would imply that I'd pass on a 24 grain bat, knowing that 15 grain bats are typical for gamers. This is a fact on what I'd actually do.

Although related, since I wouldn't purchase a bat that I didn't think is a gamer, the two statements are far from contradictory, since they're in response to two completely different questions/scenarios.

Nnunnari
07-26-2014, 10:15 PM
The point is, there is no need for you to chime in on every single post as if you are the resident expert. The truth is, you are one of the least knowledgable posters and should refrain from commenting and do more reading and listening until you have a few more collecting years under your belt.
You single handedly ruined the "Bat Grading" thread I started and discouraged respected collectors from commenting due to your off topic and inaccurate comments. That was a thread which many members were interested in and your unnecessary participation ended up defeating the purpose of this forum.

CollectGU
07-27-2014, 12:20 PM
I posted asking for opinions on a Carter jersey a while back, Dane's first comment was that he believed it might've been a Chinese knock-off, not game used/issued/authentic replica, but Chinese knock-off.

Turns out it was an authentic game worn jersey.

That was comical. Luckily you did not rely on this misinformation and pass on the jersey...

dangerzone79
07-27-2014, 12:57 PM
The point is, there is no need for you to chime in on every single post as if you are the resident expert. The truth is, you are one of the least knowledgable posters and should refrain from commenting and do more reading and listening until you have a few more collecting years under your belt.
You single handedly ruined the "Bat Grading" thread I started and discouraged respected collectors from commenting due to your off topic and inaccurate comments. That was a thread which many members were interested in and your unnecessary participation ended up defeating the purpose of this forum.

For what it's worth, I second this.

rdeversole
07-27-2014, 04:29 PM
The point is, there is no need for you to chime in on every single post as if you are the resident expert. .

I agree 1000%.

earlywynnfan
07-28-2014, 08:35 PM
I agree 1000%.

Me, too. Danesei, you've had an abundance of inaccurate posts in a very short time. Perhaps it's time to sit back and soak up some more knowledge before you make comments on the legitimacy of items.

Ken

TwinLakesPark
07-29-2014, 10:45 AM
"Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance" - Plato

I too would prefer this site stick to knowledge and educational facts. There are many people here who are all experts in very niche areas, and they reserve their statements for those applicable threads.

There are a few members that feel they most post on EVERY single thread and give their opinion when it is not wanted, so maybe the takeaway from this derailed thread is for all to dig deep and tap your inner knowledge, not opinion.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-29-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm just wondering, going back to the original post, is there anyone on the site who is an expert at Deion Sanders game use characteristics? As I said before, my opinion was based upon reference to items authenticated by recognized experts in the field.

It's fine that no one wants me to comment on items, so could someone who does know Sanders' bat characteristics chime in?

Hoosier39
07-29-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm just wondering, going back to the original post, is there anyone on the site who is an expert at Deion Sanders game use characteristics? As I said before, my opinion was based upon reference to items authenticated by recognized experts in the field.

It's fine that no one wants me to comment on items, so could someone who does know Sanders' bat characteristics chime in?

You're missing the point. You said that you "guess the bat isn't a gamer" based off of the knob and grain count, and that's just inaccurate. Due to your comments, the original poster had doubts about buying this bat. Not good for the buyer, the seller, and for future people wanting to buy bats in the future that use this site's search option as a resource.

I can assure you, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I feel like a broken record here. You're missing the point and bringing up irrelevant points for yourself. We appreciate the help, but it's apparent you need to sit back and soak up a few more years under your belt.

Hoosier39
07-29-2014, 05:08 PM
I also want to add I'm not saying the bat is 100% ok without having it in hand, but I would feel comfortable bidding on this bat. Others felt the same.