PDA

View Full Version : George Washington Colonials Jersey?

Wrigley2010
07-26-2014, 07:10 PM
I have what I believe is an early 70's GW Colonials Gamer. I just wanted to see if anyone else may have other thoughts on the jersey? Wasn't able to find any definitive info that made me certain it was a GW gamer or I thought it could possibly be an obscure minor league team. Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated!

G1X
07-27-2014, 12:33 AM
Joe,

For what it's worth, my first knee-jerk reaction is that it is not a George Washington University jersey for a couple of reasons. Their colors are blue and gold with the blue being more of a dark/navy blue - a bit darker than the blue lettering and trim on the jersey. They could have changed the shade of blue over the years, but they have always had the gold color (actually called "buff"), so I would expect to see gold somewhere on any George Washington jersey.

Here in the DC area (I worked next door to the campus for about 10 years), the university is usually referred to as GW, so it would seem more fitting to see GW (or perhaps GWC) on the jersey crest instead of GC, especially since Colonials is spelled out underneath the shield.

My flinching knee could be all wrong - it wouldn't be the first time - so my thought is that it might be worth contacting their Sports Information Department to see if they have any old team pictures, game action photos, or other information that might be helpful in identifying the jersey.

Mark Hayne

Wrigley2010
07-27-2014, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the reply Mark. All of the reasons you brought up were exactly what made me question the jersey to begin with. The lack of a "W" anywhere in the logo is strange if it does happen to be a GW jersey. I will definitely try to contact their sports department and see if I can get some help. I appreciate the help! Cheers