PDA

View Full Version : Puig vs Abreu

helf35
07-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Why are Jose Abreu items not selling for anywhere near Puig prices. I just bought 2 all star signed balls for under $65 a piece. He is unbelievable so far this year. Is it age difference? Is it because the White Sox suck? Is it the fact Abreu is a power hitter not a 5 tool guy? His cards are selling high but bats and balls seem to be rather cheap compared to Puig.

dangerzone79
07-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Very good question. I wonder if it's because Abreu goes about his business quietly without all the bells & whistles that Puig brings to the table with his talent & antics. Abreu mashes & is putting together a solid Rookie of the Year performance, but Puig plays like an entertainer. Puig has the build & plays the outfield so has a lot more ability to make highlight reel plays & yeah, he's also plays in LA on a contender.

nevrdiez34
07-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Why are Jose Abreu items not selling for anywhere near Puig prices. I just bought 2 all star signed balls for under $65 a piece. He is unbelievable so far this year. Is it age difference? Is it because the White Sox suck? Is it the fact Abreu is a power hitter not a 5 tool guy? His cards are selling high but bats and balls seem to be rather cheap compared to Puig.

I think it's a combination of many factors, I believe age is the biggest though. I think when people are spending that kind of cash has a lot to do with HOF potential and getting into the Hall is hard to do when you're MLB career starts at 27. i also think playing for a team that is second fiddle in their city doesn't help and being a first baseman without 5 tools could be a factor as well.

danesei@yahoo.com
07-27-2014, 04:41 PM
I think it's a combination of many factors, I believe age is the biggest though. I think when people are spending that kind of cash has a lot to do with HOF potential and getting into the Hall is hard to do when your MLB career starts at 27.

This is basically it. It also doesn't help matters that Abreu's K:BB ratio would be considered elite for a pitcher. Other concerns are definitely media related. If Abreu avoids the camera, he limits his potential fan base. Less fans equates to less desire for fans to want a part of a player's career. Lower demand results in lower prices.

A big part of it could also be who each player attracts as buyers. Abreu's age and position limit his comparable population to players like Ryan Howard and Joey Votto. Age has treated neither player very well, and psychologically, fans may account for that when looking at Abreu's potential career arc.

Abreu likely compares closest to Ryan Howard, both in size and strikeout tendencies. Unfortunately, Abreu started his career two years later, and bests Howard's K:BB ratio by 33%. That combination of factors don't bode well for Abreu's career numbers (and HOF candidacy).

By contrast, Puig is more like a young Kirk Gibson or Don Mattingly. He plays with flair, and his antics draw comparisons to Manny Ramirez. His wreckless approach to the game lends itself to a "fame or fail" outcome. Even if he doesn't put together a HOF worthy career, there's always the chance that he might have one of those game-changing (meaning the game of baseball) highlight reels.

That combination of factors will drive Puig's game used values higher than Abreu's, even if Abreu's card values keep pace with Puig's.

BigChrisLit
07-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Did Puig sign as much as Abreu has? I'm not sure how often Puig was doing signings, but I'm from the Chicago area and I know that Abreu has done a couple of public signings, as well as three or four private signings that I'm aware of.

Along with all of the other points that were brought up in this post, I'm sure that there is no shortage of autographed Abreu items, probably dictates the price a bit as well.

STLHAMMER32
07-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Are you comparing autograph prices or game used values? I have yet to see a game used Abreu bat hit the market.........I think if you saw one it would be equal or higher value than Puig. I would love to have one if anyone has one available

sox83cubs84
07-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Also, the fan base for the Dodgers is much larger than that of the White Sox. Sox fans will hate to see me write this, but, I believe that if Abreu was a Cub instead of a White Sox, the disparity between values would be made minimal between the two players. Abreu starting his MLB career at a later age than Puig doesn't help, either,

Dave Miedema

helf35
07-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Are you comparing autograph prices or game used values? I have yet to see a game used Abreu bat hit the market.........I think if you saw one it would be equal or higher value than Puig. I would love to have one if anyone has one available

As of right now just autos. Only thing available are gu baseballs and the way the Sox handle there gu there won't be much available unless Abreu signs a deal with somebody for his bats.

bdeol44
07-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Puig > Abreu as far as talent is concerned. Just my opinion.