PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party authenticator for game used items

Umiami338
08-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Hi all. Recently I've seen some good items up for auctions without authentication or maybe not rock solid authentication. The auctions all state that if a reputable 3rd party finds issue with it then they would refund the cost. My question is who is a reputable authenticator? I think for bats I've seen john taube and other baseball items dave m. But what about football or basketball? The item in question are basketball shoes. I know the best research would be my own with photo matching but I'm curious to hear any other opinions. Any general thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
B
Redsoxnation7676@aol.com

danesei@yahoo.com
08-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Hi all. Recently I've seen some good items up for auctions without authentication or maybe not rock solid authentication. The auctions all state that if a reputable 3rd party finds issue with it then they would refund the cost. My question is who is a reputable authenticator? I think for bats I've seen john taube and other baseball items dave m. But what about football or basketball? The item in question are basketball shoes. I know the best research would be my own with photo matching but I'm curious to hear any other opinions. Any general thoughts are appreciated.

MEARS, but their prices are so prohibitive that most low end sellers figure that the item isn't worth the authentication price, so the clause is essentially worthless. Beyond MEARS, you might be able to contact the manufacturer or the franchise that employed the player during the period of assumed use.

travrosty
08-03-2014, 11:24 AM
tread with caution, it's a minefield, even with the big names in authentication, it's russian roulette.

Especially with autographs, then you might as well forget about it. it's a lost cause.