PDA

View Full Version : Raiders Helmet Late 70's - Early 80's Thoughts?

ousooner_85
08-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Picked this helmet up recently and looking for thoughts on if it could be a gamer.

It's time stamped 04/77 and has recert. stickers in 1980 and 1981. It's a Riddell Kra Lite II.

ousooner_85
08-03-2014, 07:26 PM
more pics

ousooner_85
08-03-2014, 07:29 PM
last one

ousooner_85
08-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Anyone have any thoughts?

tom1315
08-06-2014, 06:42 AM
Morning, on the surface has some good characteristics. I'm surprised the decals do not show some wear as the shell does. Clips and mask seem good…I'm going to look through some pictures on-line and in a book I have of the NFL and see if I can locate any good similar gamers.

Curtis at Helmet Hut - reach out to him…I sent him a gamer to look at and he did, shipped it back (I paid the return shipping) and is an excellent resource.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni

ousooner_85
08-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Thanks Tom.............The stickers have some white hit marks, one small tear and bubble.

tom1315
08-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Any residue on the rear where players numbers would have been? Look at Getty Images Jan 1981 and the 81 season / your helmet looks good from several aspects - still more homework I want to do.

Tom

volunteer
08-07-2014, 08:00 AM
I'm guessing this belonged to a practice squad member. Seems like they would have taken better care of a game helmet. And no one on the roster with the initials KP.

ousooner_85
08-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Tom.....I'll check the back of the helmet out this weekend. No clue on the KP

tom1315
08-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Take a look a these pictures…several matches to that style face mask, Riddell front bumper and clips. Pretty interesting and I think it could be genuine. Helmet style and placement of various drilled holes, snaps, look good.

What do you think? How did you find it…any provenance from the seller?

Tom

bgakladd
08-08-2014, 12:23 AM
Your biggest clue as to what you have is inside your helmet. Look at your reconditioning stickers, more importantly the Jim Davis Enterprises reconditioning stickers. They were located in San Mateo, California. It has the characteristics of work being done by a guy who worked for them by the name of Bronco Hinek. They did a lot of the San Francisco 49ers helmet reconditioning back in the same period as your helmet before they were bought out by the Riddell Co. Hinek used slotted machine screws instead of the conventional ones that were used, yours seems to look like a straight slotted screw being used on the clips on your helmet. The Schutt RS facemask clips turning brown in color from aging are normal for those years. Facemask is late 70's style. Again concentrate and find information on the Jim Davis Enterprises football helmet reconditioning services and see if they also did some work for the Raiders. Remember they did it for the 49ers. I will try to find more if I can, hope this helps a little.

ousooner_85
08-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Tom - Thanks!.... The style match seems to be consistent with the photos you provived from that era. As far as the rear of the helmet - upon closer look at where the numbers would have been, there is evidence of their removal after the helmets playing days. Looks as though someone cleaned the residue and scratched off what wouldn't wipe off (just an observation/guess). I'll see if I can find out any additional information from the previous owner.

bgakladd - Appreciated the insight you provided. I'll what I can find any link between Jim Davis Enterprises and the Raiders.