PDA

View Full Version : Got negtive feedback from item showing "too much" game use!

jake33
08-08-2014, 05:03 AM
This is a new one for me, just got negative feedback on ebay, from a buyer who said that the (game used) item he bought which showed use in the photos was way too dirty for him to wear.

This industry always seems to amaze me, along side an increase in foolish ebay buyers

Juan Gris
08-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Do you have a link to your eBay auction? I'm curious to see what the jersey looks like.

helf35
08-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Its game used what do they expect? Thats funny. I have been getting request for the sizes of some of my jerseys. They dont want the number they want the actual size large, x-large. I assumed it was for framing purposes until I got a reply that the jersey was to big for me. When I asked are you planning on wearing it his respone was, yes hes my favorite player.

ChrisCavalier
08-08-2014, 09:05 AM
This is a new one for me, just got negative feedback on ebay, from a buyer who said that the (game used) item he bought which showed use in the photos was way too dirty for him to wear.
That's what you get for dealing in items with so much use…..you should know better :rolleyes:

Roady
08-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Wasn't there a debate on here one time about washing game used jerseys?
Maybe the buyer is one of "those" people.

emann
08-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Not exactly the same thing, but I did run across a collector who wanted a bat from me at one point and lost interest with it due to "too much" use.

They assumed it was used in BP from the amount of ballmarks (although it was a natural LVS and had no green marks on it). I took the position that the heavy tar, deep seam marks, and cleats marks minimally showed it was a gamer at some point OR (like alot of players) maybe the same bat he used in BP was used later in games.

Jags Fan Dan
08-08-2014, 10:45 AM
You might want to go ahead and post their user ID so others on here can place them on the blocked bidder list, nobody needs that garbage.

Roady
08-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Not exactly the same thing, but I did run across a collector who wanted a bat from me at one point and lost interest with it due to "too much" use.

They assumed it was used in BP from the amount of ballmarks (although it was a natural LVS and had no green marks on it). I took the position that the heavy tar, deep seam marks, and cleats marks minimally showed it was a gamer at some point OR (like alot of players) maybe the same bat he used in BP was used later in games.

I have never understood why people assume a "batting practice" bat is just that and that only and could have never been used in a game.

emann
08-08-2014, 02:03 PM
I have never understood why people assume a "batting practice" bat is just that and that only and could have never been used in a game.

I think the majority of collectors are too literal and want to fantasize that all the ball marks and use on their bats came from home runs that won the game, or a bases clearing triple—not a boring old BP home run or a pop-out.

You couldn't get a more narrow-minded view when nobody knows the full history of any given item... especially bats.

But, let them continue to think that, I'll take a hammered gamer that may have acquired some of the marks in BP over a light use gamer any day!

johnsontravis@ymail.com
08-08-2014, 02:52 PM
I can't even count how many times I have been asked the size on something. I think it is weekly I get asked the size of a hat I am trying to sell on EBay which is MLB Authenticated. I also had many people ask me the size on a jersey to never hear back.

I don't know, but I try not to judge what people feel like doing. If I had a serious collection filled with superstars I'd probably buy game used stuff of lesser players just to wear instead of getting retail. And to be honest if I was swimming in money I'd probably buy Mike Trout's hat and wear it just to feel like a B.A.

I don't think any of us should judge someone wanting to wear GU gear, I mean aren't we the people paying $20,000 for a dirty piece of cloth etc? Just my opinion.

As far as the guy leaving negative feedback that's tricky. You and him had a different point of view on the item. You hang it on the wall and the other guy wants to wear it. I can see where he would be upset if he thought it was in better condition and it was worse than he orginally thought. Everyone has a different view on things.

Neely8
08-10-2014, 07:13 AM
Did he not see pictures of the item before he bid on it??

jake33
08-10-2014, 07:55 AM
bidder id is brewersfanatic31

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-Brewers-game-used-MLB-pants-open-bottom-Alcides-escobar-/281394018670#ht_63wt_1199

Juan Gris
08-10-2014, 08:29 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-Brewers-game-used-MLB-pants-open-bottom-Alcides-escobar-/281394018670#ht_63wt_1199

I was expecting the game used item to be a jersey. The front of the pants look pretty clean. Is the back filthy? Maybe he was looking to assemble a cheap costume to wear in a softball game or for Halloween and the size of the pants were a perfect fit. You should have included a picture of the back of the pants to protect your interest but the buyer is a fool for bidding on a GU item and then giving you negative feedback for too much game use.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
08-10-2014, 06:12 PM

Too bad I didn't see this listing. I would have given you $31 and positive feedback.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
08-10-2014, 06:32 PM
I was expecting the game used item to be a jersey. The front of the pants look pretty clean. Is the back filthy? Maybe he was looking to assemble a cheap costume to wear in a softball game or for Halloween and the size of the pants were a perfect fit. You should have included a picture of the back of the pants to protect your interest but the buyer is a fool for bidding on a GU item and then giving you negative feedback for too much game use.

I highly disagree with you. Why is he a fool? Game used stuff is NO DIFFERENT than anything else not brand new. If it shows more use than shown he has every right to be upset.

Not every person has the same intention with items. There is no requirement that one must display game used stuff etc. You are giving a huge bias opinion.

chakes89
08-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do you change your eBay user name so much? Witness protection?

earlywynnfan
08-10-2014, 09:07 PM
I'm not saying a negative is warranted here by any means, but IMHO your write-up is sorta feeble. No pic of the back, no description about the use in any way. Perhaps taking a minute to add a couple sentences would go far.

Ken

Juan Gris
08-10-2014, 09:25 PM
I highly disagree with you. Why is he a fool? Game used stuff is NO DIFFERENT than anything else not brand new. If it shows more use than shown he has every right to be upset.

Not every person has the same intention with items. There is no requirement that one must display game used stuff etc. You are giving a huge bias opinion.
"Fool" was a strong word but someone bidding on a pair of "game used" pants without a picture of the other 50% of the item is setting themselves up for disappointment. Would you bid on game used pants which you hoped were in pristine condition without following up with the seller for more pictures and/or information? If I did not I would consider myself foolish.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
08-10-2014, 11:50 PM
"Fool" was a strong word but someone bidding on a pair of "game used" pants without a picture of the other 50% of the item is setting themselves up for disappointment. Would you bid on game used pants which you hoped were in pristine condition without following up with the seller for more pictures and/or information? If I did not I would consider myself foolish.

I guess as a seller on EBay I assume everyone is an idiot and post pictures showing every side of an item to protect myself from a situation like this.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
08-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Did you not like that Even Longoria jersey much? Didn't you just buy that a week ago...unloading that less than a week after getting it jeez...

PAC
08-11-2014, 05:30 AM
And the bad part is, eBay won't remove negative feedback, no matter how unjustified it is.

A few months ago, someone left me a negative because I wouldn't accept their lowball Best Offer on a second unrelated item.

Spent 2 hours on the phone with eBay CS, and their response was "feedback is the buyer's opinion, and they are entitled to any opinion they want, even if you did everything right as a seller."

Mark17
08-11-2014, 05:49 AM

This industry always seems to amaze me, along side an increase in foolish ebay buyers

First, I don't think the guy is necessarily foolish. At the price he paid, I could easily see how he could look at it as a nice alternative to buying an off the shelf pair of baseball or softball pants to use.

In the early 1970s I needed a pair of baseball cleats, and somebody was selling a pair of game used George Lauzerique A's cleats, in my size, for about what I was looking to pay. So I figured that would be kind of cool, to literally "walk in the shoes of a big leaguer" and I also figured that even though they were used, they were of major league quality. I used them for several years and when they wore out, I tossed them away. But they served their purpose, and very economically.

What I don't get is this: Why can't you just refund the guy $1.00 and tell him to wash the pants? If he's planning to wear and use them himself, he'll be washing them many more times anyway.

But, I'd start the dialogue with him by explaining why you left the dirt on them in the first place - the whole game used collecting point of view. And again, I wouldn't put him down for having other plans.

Just my opinion (as always.)

jake33
08-11-2014, 08:58 AM
The buyer left negative feedback without asking for any refund. So why would I then give him one then for no reason? Also, that is fine that he bought the pants as an alternative to wear but I listed the item int he game used memorabilia category, which means that it's intended use is not for someone else to wear. it was sold as a piece of memorabilia. That fact that he wants to wear them, is outside the purpose on what the product was marketed and sold as.

It is like saying, " I am upset that this pencil that I bought doesn't make me look thinner when I hold it, so it is a misleading product." The purpose you buy it a product for, should not affect the purpose on how it was sold. That buyer didn't even bother to ask if there was stains on the pains prior to the purchase, so how am I supposed to assume that he is going wear them with use that is satisfactory for him? Does anyone buy a game used uncracked bat for your own play and crack the bat in a game, then look for a refund? Or being upset because you would use the amount of pine tar that was already on that bat?

Also, the Longoria jersey, I was not previously aware that the Rass were going to sell their throwback jersey worn on 8/10/14, otherwise, I would not have bought the Longoria jersey, so selling it to get funds for the throwbacks. Is that explanation satisfactory to you?

johnsontravis@ymail.com
08-11-2014, 09:26 AM
The buyer left negative feedback without asking for any refund. So why would I then give him one then for no reason? Also, that is fine that he bought the pants as an alternative to wear but I listed the item int he game used memorabilia category, which means that it's intended use is not for someone else to wear. it was sold as a piece of memorabilia. That fact that he wants to wear them, is outside the purpose on what the product was marketed and sold as.

It is like saying, " I am upset that this pencil that I bought doesn't make me look thinner when I hold it, so it is a misleading product." The purpose you buy it a product for, should not affect the purpose on how it was sold. That buyer didn't even bother to ask if there was stains on the pains prior to the purchase, so how am I supposed to assume that he is going wear them with use that is satisfactory for him? Does anyone buy a game used uncracked bat for your own play and crack the bat in a game, then look for a refund? Or being upset because you would use the amount of pine tar that was already on that bat?

Also, the Longoria jersey, I was not previously aware that the Rass were going to sell their throwback jersey worn on 8/10/14, otherwise, I would not have bought the Longoria jersey, so selling it to get funds for the throwbacks. Is that explanation satisfactory to you?

Your examples are horrible...they make no sense at all.

The pencil thing is just dumb. The pants can be collected or worn, but I'm not sure you can write and use a pencil to look skinny. I just don't see the comparison as buying a pencil to look skinny isn't a known use for a pencil.

The buying the bat and breaking it, then asking for a refund also makes little sense...Why would a person expect a refund?

The pine tar makes sense and yes if it turned out to have more than I wanted(and I was going to use it) I would want to return it.

While I understand your frustration, just because you put it in the memorabilia category doesn't mean much. The definition is to keep or collect something...pretty broad if you ask me.

Let's say I decide to do an art project using some pipes and I drive to the hardware store. Once I get there I go to the clearly marked plumbing section and buy some, but oh no I get home and they aren't going to work. So I drive back and return them...do you really think they are going to refuse a refund?

Now he probably shouldn't have left bad feedback without asking for a refund. If you still refused I might have then given negative feedback.

In the future more pictures will always help and if you want to shrink your buying market mention it is only intended to be displayed and not used...or at least make them aware you don't intend on your buyer using it. Like I said before selling on EBay you have to assume everyone is an idiot.

(On the Longoria jersey I was just curious why you were flipping such a nice piece that quickly...I wasn't accusing you of trying to profit on it etc...as I saw it wasn't all that much higher than what you bought it for.)

Roady
08-11-2014, 09:49 AM
I agree with Jake. The is not only a fool but a rude ahole too.

He listed it in the "GAME USED" category. Takes a special snowflake to buy a pair of game used pants and then complain about them.

And johnsontravis you are a troll and being very rude yourself. Are you the special snowflake who bought them?

Roady
08-11-2014, 10:07 AM
johnsontravis@ymail.com
Members like you trolling someones thread and making fun of them and harassing them are the reason this board losing members or they stop posting.
People like you and Marino13 take away from what should be a great board.

I wish those like you who exhibit trollish behaviour would just go away or be banned.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
08-11-2014, 11:25 AM
johnsontravis@ymail.com
Members like you trolling someones thread and making fun of them and harassing them are the reason this board losing members or they stop posting.

I wish those like you who exhibit trollish behaviour would just go away or be banned.

I'm sorry you disagree with my opinion. I don't think that makes me a troll. I'm also not sure Chris would ban people for disagreeing or else this forum would be empty.

I stated my view and gave all my reasons, if you still disagree that is fine. Though calling me a troll just because I'm not totally defending the collector is just silly. I felt I did it in an acceptable manner and didn't attack anyone.

From a game used collectors point of view it seems crazy, but how about you look at it from someone else's point of view?

johnsontravis@ymail.com
08-11-2014, 11:30 AM
johnsontravis@ymail.com

Also don't forget to look in the mirror. Calling people foolish,A Holes, and special snowflakes. Are you really the one to call others rude or harrassing? You are one of these people you speak of.

Roady
08-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Also don't forget to look in the mirror. Calling people foolish,A Holes, and special snowflakes. Are you really the one to call others rude or harrassing? You are one of these people you speak of.

I asked if you were that special snowflake (the buyer).

I didn't call any members here foolish or ahole. The buyer I believe is those things.

You got a burr under your saddle for some reason with this topic and you have trolled it. You may not be a troll but you sure are exhibiting some trollish behaviour.

64SHEA
08-11-2014, 12:34 PM
While I really, really hate to agree with anything Mr. Roady says, I have to in this situation. There is a reason coffee cups have to say "Caution Hot!".

64SHEA
08-11-2014, 12:34 PM
While I really, really hate to agree with anything Mr. Roady says, I have to in this situation. There is a reason coffee cups have to say "Caution Hot!".
Minus the name calling.

Juan Gris
08-11-2014, 12:38 PM
johnsontravis@ymail.com, I can't tell if it's intentional or not but, outside of your first post in this thread, every subsequent post of yours has been argumentative with another member, which could be construed by some as trolling.

I stated my view and gave all my reasons, if you still disagree that is fine. Though calling me a troll just because I'm not totally defending the collector is just silly. I felt I did it in an acceptable manner and didn't attack anyone.

This comes off as an attack on the OP.

Did you not like that Even Longoria jersey much? Didn't you just buy that a week ago...unloading that less than a week after getting it jeez...

Roady
08-11-2014, 12:39 PM

I appreciate that, I think. :D

jake33
08-11-2014, 02:12 PM
The way ebay operates, is that even if a seller states no returns, you can still return it. They have it set to side with buyers, which in the grand scheme makes sense to protect themselves, but they are forcing independent sellers to function closer to a retail store, which takes returns for no real reason/complaint most times.

The point I was trying to make is that a product sold for one purpose, should not be held accountable when used outside of it's intended purpose.

In a pro wrestling match, when a guy uses a garbage can or a stapler, is the manufacturer fully responsible for "causing" injury in that instance?

Now, a faulty leaky garbage can that may have caused damage by leaking out dangerous contents, is a different story.

The definition of MEMORABILIA is

1. mementos; souvenirs.
2. matters or events worthy to be remembered; points worthy of note.

While it does not explicitly state that items should not be used or worn for practical use. The integrity of the memento in it's truest form is in y opinion somewhat compromised when it is used in a way that tarnishes how it was originally supposed to be remembered.

jake33
08-11-2014, 02:18 PM
I would also argue, that is also along these ridiculous lines - if someone would complain that a bobblehead was not strong enough to hold a door open so, it could be a doorstop, and because of that the buyer is upset and/or wants a return.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
08-11-2014, 02:39 PM
I would also argue, that is also along these ridiculous lines - if someone would complain that a bobblehead was not strong enough to hold a door open so, it could be a doorstop, and because of that the buyer is upset and/or wants a return.

I get what you are saying and it is another example of the issues with EBay. When the seller and buyer both are upset and each side has some kind of argument the buyer will always win.

All in all I'm still a little confused how much use these could show where he was that upset. He sounds like the kind of guy who buys a used shirt and gives negative feedback because there was a little stain.

Maybe this guy just likes leaving negative feedback to make people mad and ruining their feedback score.

jake33
08-11-2014, 02:48 PM
The use that it showed was very minor (especially since they were worn for only 1 game), if my memory is right, the dirt, is less than the space of a dollar bill.

PAC
08-11-2014, 06:54 PM
I don't mind buyers returning items for silly reasons, even though I posted awesome photos and a crystal clear description. Whatever, no big deal, I'll eat the shipping cost and sell it to someone else.

But an UNJUSTIFIED negative pisses me the hell off, especially when it ruins my previously 100% positive feedback.

beachpetrol
08-11-2014, 11:22 PM
If the buyer is unwilling to revise the negative feedback and ebay will not remove it, I suggest you reply to the negative feedback and explain the situation in 80 characters or less. You may also want to include the ebay buyers ID in the reply so that other sellers who read your feedback, know who this punk is and can block them from buying their items.

earlywynnfan
08-12-2014, 07:26 AM
I don't mind buyers returning items for silly reasons, even though I posted awesome photos and a crystal clear description. Whatever, no big deal, I'll eat the shipping cost and sell it to someone else.

But an UNJUSTIFIED negative pisses me the hell off, especially when it ruins my previously 100% positive feedback.

Do you feel this seller posted awesome photos and a crystal clear description here? "Game used pants with an open bottom" doesn't say much to me.

Roady
08-12-2014, 07:35 AM
The buyer is obviously an imbecile and some of you are making too many excuses for his foolishness.

Lets look at the category these pants are listed under.........
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop>Game Used Memorabilia>Baseball-MLB>Jerseys

Clue #1

Now lets look at the description of the pants earlywynnfan so graciously posted.............
Game used Alcides Escobar pants with open bottom

What's this? earlywynnfan left out ALCIDES ESCOBAR in the description. Now why would you do that earlywynnfan?

Clue #2

The buyer is a moron and defending the buyer for his ignorance is pathetic.

Roady
08-12-2014, 07:40 AM
Do you feel this seller posted awesome photos and a crystal clear description here? "Game used pants with an open bottom" doesn't say much to me.

Just to be clear in my above post.

The description on the auction is: Game used Alcides Escobar pants with open bottom

Not just "Game used pants with an open bottom"

I guess the description you posted doesn't say much to you earlywynnfan. That is because you left out the most important part of it.

When you post the real description ti says a lot more. It says these pants were used by a MLB player and therefore must be used.

Roady
08-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Does anyone else see the problem with some of your responses?

You turn on a fellow board member, a fellow collector mind you, who did nothing wrong to warrant a negative. And you take up for a stranger with reading comprehension problems. :mad:

johnsontravis@ymail.com
08-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Jake I searched up the EBay ID and it came back as not existing. Are you sure that you posted it exactly right? Are you able to give a link to the buyers account?

Also Roady while the info in the description and pictures might have been acceptable for a collector it isn't for anyone else. Unluckily for Jake a non collector came by and won the auction. I wouldn't call either party a fool. Really it is just a bad situation which could have been avoided by each party, things like this happen. You can think the buyer is dumb, but all you are proving is how you fail to look at the big picture and only think of it from a collectors perspective.

You won't get your 100% back but if you do reply to the negative feedback with what happened I don't think the negative feedback will scare any future buyers.

Roady
08-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Also Roady while the info in the description and pictures might have been acceptable for a collector it isn't for anyone else. Unluckily for Jake a non collector came by and won the auction. I wouldn't call either party a fool. Really it is just a bad situation which could have been avoided by each party, things like this happen. You can think the buyer is dumb, but all you are proving is how you fail to look at the big picture and only think of it from a collectors perspective.

Just a sign of the times we live in. Someone can't, or is too lazy to , add up 1+1 and there is no shortage of people who are willing to make excuses for them.

Only an idiot, collector or not, would read that auction and not think the pants are GAME USED BY A MLB PLAYER.

You state with authority....."the description and pictures might have been acceptable for a collector it isn't for anyone else."
Really? That's a fact?
I state that the buyer is either a moron or can't read english or is just a jerk.
Anyone who sees the category and the description should be able to add up 1+1 and know the answer.
And if the buyer is too stupid to understand it then that is on them.

1. The seller listed it in the correct category.
2. The seller's description, the real one not the one some of you want to post, is very clear the pants are game used by a MLB player.
3. The buyer didn't ask any questions before bidding.

The seller did nothing wrong and yet some of you are trying really hard to make it seem like he did.

camarokids
08-12-2014, 09:24 AM
I have dealt with Jake many times. Both buying and selling. Never any issues.

I see both sides of the issue here.

When I sell something on ebay, I post multiple pictures and a detailed description.

If the back side was dirty, a picture should have been posted with a description, since the front was perfectly clean. I think that is why the buyer was/is upset.

earlywynnfan
08-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Does anyone else see the problem with some of your responses?

You turn on a fellow board member, a fellow collector mind you, who did nothing wrong to warrant a negative. And you take up for a stranger with reading comprehension problems. :mad:

Did you happen to read post #17? Just curious.

So I take it you feel two pics and six words plus a name makes for an excellent description? I've asked that twice, and it appears I'm the only one who doesn't think so.

I'm not defending the buyer, I'm trying to help the seller for the next time. I didn't say he warranted a negative, I didn't take up with a stranger with reading comprehension problems. Show me where I did!! It seems to me that YOU are the one turning on a fellow board member/collector, or maybe YOU are the one with reading comprehension problems.

Ken

Roady
08-12-2014, 11:52 AM
I can read just fine.
And unlike others I don't have to misrepresent the sellers description to make my argument fit with my agenda. ;)

Roady
08-12-2014, 11:58 AM
You guys hash it out. Eat your own. Turn your backs on your fellow board members. I'm done.

beachpetrol
08-12-2014, 12:07 PM
To reiterate another post, the ebay ID brewersfanatic31 does not exist. Jake, can you verify that this is the correct ID?

jake33
08-12-2014, 12:16 PM
brewersfanatic2

BU54CB
08-12-2014, 12:25 PM
What happened to asking a seller a question about an item?

The onus is on the buyer to ask a question about said item if the seller description or photos are lacking, period.

When I buy an item on ebay and am not satisfied with a description, I ask a question. If the seller's photos aren't clear, I ask a question.

Why is it the sellers fault that the buyer didn't ask questions? Granted, some sellers aren't pros at listing their items or leave things out, but not their fault if the buyer didn't ask questions.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Hoosier39
08-12-2014, 12:41 PM
I think some people feel that if, in this instance, if there isn't a pic of the back of the pants, they assume that the back looks just like the front, unless the description says otherwise.

The onus is on the buyer to ask a question about said item if the seller description or photos are lacking, period.

When I buy an item on ebay and am not satisfied with a description, I ask a question. If the seller's photos aren't clear, I ask a question.

Why is it the sellers fault that the buyer didn't ask questions? Granted, some sellers aren't pros at listing their items or leave things out, but not their fault if the buyer didn't ask questions.

beachpetrol
08-12-2014, 01:41 PM
brewersfanatic2
Thanks

beachpetrol
08-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Bingo!

camarokids
08-12-2014, 06:00 PM

This can go both ways.

Nothing irks me more than someone selling a game used bat and not listing what is written or stamped on the ends. I have to send a message and wait, which if there is a Buy It Now, someone else may buy it before I can get a response.

Its especially troubling when it is a dealer or seasoned collector.

I like Jake and have dealt with him many times. I would recommend that he and others add additional pictures and better descriptions of items to avoid these situations.

BU54CB
08-12-2014, 10:50 PM
I think some people feel that if, in this instance, if there isn't a pic of the back of the pants, they assume that the back looks just like the front, unless the description says otherwise.

One should not assume, especially on eBay, which goes back to my point, ask questions if you have them.

Hoosier39
08-12-2014, 10:56 PM
One should not assume, especially on eBay, which goes back to my point, ask questions if you have them.

Oh I don't disagree with you, but if a pic won't be taken, at least mention something about it in the description.

seanbaseball
08-13-2014, 02:48 PM
just got in a Molina 2010 ST uniform. Its is really worn out. Should I return it. LOL:)

slab0meat
08-13-2014, 03:21 PM

While true, one shouldn't have to assume, either. Post another pic or two, it's really not that difficult.

Hoosier39
08-13-2014, 03:54 PM
While true, one shouldn't have to assume, either. Post another pic or two, it's really not that difficult.

Agree-- If I buy a bat that's cracked, pictured as cracked, described as cracked, and I get the bat with a huge chunk missing from the back of the barrel, you all expect me to keep it because I didn't ask how the back barrel looked?

Always keep in mind that just because something is game used doesn't mean ppl don't buy them to wear to games or use the bats in the batting cages. In those instances, ppl want to know the condition. The question could've been asked before purchased but it's the sellers responsibility too to describe the items condition in full. When ppl lack that, it seems like they are either lazy or purposive hiding something. You get a lot of that with bats and what's written on the knobs. "Oh I won't take a pic of the knob so hopefully the buyer doesn't pay attention and won't figure out it was blacked out."

Not a huge ticket item here, but you shouldve at least mentioned it in the desciption if you weren't going to take a photo. People do in fact wear these.

jake33
08-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Hoosier, by the logic you used in that thread, do you feel that regardless of the dollar amount purchased someone should be able to return a game used jersey because it doesn't fit them the way they want?

In my opinion, a game used item that is sold as a game used item, should bear no responsibility for usage other than being a memento/conversation piece/ display item.

Now, in some instances I have sold some game issued jerseys of low end players as an "authentic" jerseys, and will state in the description of the listing it is issued and better quality than a store bought "authentic" jersey, plus it would be rare instead of the same superstar player replica and authentic jerseys all over the place. I will do that in hopes that the larger market who would buy that item, would indeed be buying it to wear it and would value the sizing and cleanliness moreso.

Unfortunately ebay, will always side with the buyer no matter what the cause for the return.

BU54CB
08-14-2014, 02:27 PM

I understand that its not that difficult to post photos, I sell on ebay and post photos all the time. As we all know, not every seller is super descriptive, therefore the onus is on the buyer to ask questions. You can't assume anything when you're the buyer, if the seller doesn't respond to your question, don't buy the item, its pretty simple. If you choose to buy the item I don't like it, then that's your issue IMO.

BU54CB
08-14-2014, 02:29 PM
This can go both ways.

Nothing irks me more than someone selling a game used bat and not listing what is written or stamped on the ends. I have to send a message and wait, which if there is a Buy It Now, someone else may buy it before I can get a response.

Its especially troubling when it is a dealer or seasoned collector.

I like Jake and have dealt with him many times. I would recommend that he and others add additional pictures and better descriptions of items to avoid these situations.

Completely agree, but if you don't get a response and you buy the item anyway, then the risk is on you. You could have decided not to buy it, but instead went ahead without the question being answered. Of course, that's my opinion.

godwulf
08-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Agree-- If I buy a bat that's cracked, pictured as cracked, described as cracked, and I get the bat with a huge chunk missing from the back of the barrel, you all expect me to keep it because I didn't ask how the back barrel looked?

This actually happened to me, pretty much exactly that way, just a couple of years ago. I felt like an idiot, but I kept the bat and even gave the Seller good feedback, for a few reasons: it was obvious from his other (and past) listings that he did not regularly sell GU items, I didn't ask about the reverse side of the bat, which his photos did not depict, and the selling price was very low. Lesson learned.

Hoosier39
08-14-2014, 08:46 PM
That's a little different. If it doesn't fit them, that's no ones problem. If they bought the jersey, game used or not, and there was a stain on the back, and the seller didn't mention this in the description or have a photo, then yes, I do believe they could get a refund.

Let's go back to a bat-- if I bought a bat and in the auction there was pictures of all angles, the description was accurate, etc, and then I receive the bat and it has a different players number on the barrel end of the bat.

Who's fault is it? The buyer for not asking what was on the barrel end? Or the seller for not taking a photo of the barrel end or putting it in the description? To me, when people do that, or don't take a pic of the knob because perhaps it's blacked out, are up to no good and purposely do that.

Would I keep it because the seller wasn't responsible enough to describe it or take a photo of it, absolutely not. I'm not saying you purposely did anything at all, this is all more of an example. But I feel that if you put "stain on back" in your description, or taken one more pic, this thread would probably nonexistent.

Hoosier, by the logic you used in that thread, do you feel that regardless of the dollar amount purchased someone should be able to return a game used jersey because it doesn't fit them the way they want?

In my opinion, a game used item that is sold as a game used item, should bear no responsibility for usage other than being a memento/conversation piece/ display item.

Now, in some instances I have sold some game issued jerseys of low end players as an "authentic" jerseys, and will state in the description of the listing it is issued and better quality than a store bought "authentic" jersey, plus it would be rare instead of the same superstar player replica and authentic jerseys all over the place. I will do that in hopes that the larger market who would buy that item, would indeed be buying it to wear it and would value the sizing and cleanliness moreso.

Unfortunately ebay, will always side with the buyer no matter what the cause for the return.

slab0meat
08-15-2014, 09:34 AM
If eBay is so pro-buyer currently, then the "risk" or "onus" really is NOT on the buyer, if returning an item is so easy.

Post better/more pictures and a more thorough description as a seller, it seems. The SELLER is the one dealing with more "risk" if he/she doesn't want the item back, potentially.