PDA

View Full Version : New User Here with a question about steiner

mreph
08-09-2014, 11:16 PM
I have brought many game used Steiner Sports products and have seen that all there holograms have a number accompanied with them. Does Steiner have a database with all the numbers somewhere?

Thanks for any help

Roady
08-09-2014, 11:18 PM
I have brought many game used Steiner Sports products and have seen that all there holograms have a number accompanied with them. Does Steiner have a database with all the numbers somewhere?

Thanks for any help

If they have a database I have not seen it. The hologram without the paper COA from Steiner is just about worthless I would assume. And even with the paper the hologram and paper could probably be forged.

Someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

mreph
08-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Yeah I guess you're right anyone could forge their hologram if they wanted to. I was just trying to find a date that it was used so I can get a photomatch

Roady
08-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Yeah I guess you're right anyone could forge their hologram if they wanted to. I was just trying to find a date that it was used so I can get a photomatch

I don't believe they have a place to look up their numbers.
I am sure someone else will probably know more. Hopefully they will chime in soon.

marino13
08-10-2014, 06:39 AM
1. There is a database for all the hologram but they are for internal use only.

2. As for forging the hologram, that would not be easy. But tampering with the hologram ..... I have seen some lousy tampering jobs! :D

Roady
08-10-2014, 08:33 AM
1. There is a database for all the hologram but they are for internal use only.

2. As for forging the hologram, that would not be easy. But tampering with the hologram ..... I have seen some lousy tampering jobs! :D

I have called Steiner with a number and asked them to look it up. The person on the other end said that he could not and that they do not keep a database of the numbers and what they correspond to.
Are you saying they really do keep a database and you have proof of this or have they told you this in person or over the phone?

marino13
08-10-2014, 04:04 PM
I have called Steiner with a number and asked them to look it up. The person on the other end said that he could not and that they do not keep a database of the numbers and what they correspond to.
Are you saying they really do keep a database and you have proof of this or have they told you this in person or over the phone?

You called in --- this would means it is no longer INTERNAL. :D

And I will leave it at that.

Roady
08-10-2014, 04:15 PM
A real answer would be more helpful.

Roady
08-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Steiner told me there is no way to check hologram numbers except with the corresponding letter. They said that they don't have the hologram numbers recorded anywhere at all.

So if anyone else knows about this "internal" list let us know.

marino13
08-10-2014, 04:28 PM
You can always get a job with the company and then you tell me.

Again, there is a database and it is for internal use only. It is NOT for tracking or anything else. It is for INTERNAL use only. If you dont know what that means or need clearer answer, I dont know what to tell you.

PS. I have never worked for the company. If I did, I will never getting any bills paid since I will be using my employee's discount on the gamer.

Hoosier39
08-10-2014, 04:43 PM

Again, there is a database and it is for internal use only. It is NOT for tracking or anything else. It is for INTERNAL use only. If you dont know what that means or need clearer answer, I dont know what to tell you.

PS. I have never worked for the company. If I did, I will never getting any bills paid since I will be using my employee's discount on the gamer.

I get what you're saying, but that does no one any good. Basically if you buy a bat with a sticker but no letter, you're SOL. They have a sticker with numbers, yet no database available to the public. Makes perfect sense.

marino13
08-10-2014, 04:51 PM
I get what you're saying, but that does no one any good. Basically if you buy a bat with a sticker but no letter, you're SOL. They have a sticker with numbers, yet no database available to the public. Makes perfect sense.

Why would you bat a bat with just a sticker?

:confused:

With all my game used bat from steiner - all of them has letters and holograms, some even have MLB holograms and the letter that stated the MLB number!

Hoosier39
08-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Why would you bat a bat with just a sticker?

:confused:

With all my game used bat from steiner - all of them has letters and holograms, some even have MLB holograms and the letter that stated the MLB number!

Because some people sell bats with the sticker only because they lost the letter? Happens all the time.

Roady
08-10-2014, 05:11 PM

I believe you are full of BS.

And I know of no one here or anywhere is has ever spouted the BS you're spouting.
You offer zero proof and only come back with childish post.

BS

Roady
08-10-2014, 05:31 PM
Just a follow up to this.
I did some digging in old GUU threads about this and found this......
http://www.gameuseduniverse.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=50263
This is form 2007, thats 2007 mind you.

Default Re: Anyone's Steiner Holograms entered into the database?
I can confirm that all numbered game used and game issued holograms issued on items through our team partnerships are indeed recorded and cataloged internally before shipment of an item. We do have every intention of eventually making this available to view through www.steinersports.com as it is done on mlb.com. Please keep in mind though this is a significant undertaking and remains a work in progress. At this time I do not have a date to announce when this will be completed but I do assure you all that we have every intention of eventually making this a reality. I'll make sure you are all informed when this is finished.

Brooks Cowan"

So Mr. Cowan did confirm that they have an internal database and was supposed to make it public in the future, from 2007.
Guess they decided not to make it public and I can confirm if you call now that they will tell you they do not keep an internal database.

And I am not the only one who got this answer.
This is from 2009...
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26840

"Join Date: Mar 2006
Default Re: Will Steiner confirm authentication numbers go with an item if you call them?
You guys both were right. Steiner does have a hologram lookup on their site but it doesn't work at all and I called them today and they say there is no way to check hologram numbers except with the corresponding letter (which is lost on the item I am trying to check on). They don't have the hologram numbers recorded anywhere at all.

I hope everyone that puts so much stock in 'Steiner authenticity' understands they have a system in place that has no way of being checked/confirmed. An item may have a hologram on it but without the letter you have no way of knowing if the item has been altered, a generic cap that has had someone's number added to it later, a game issue jersey that has had use added, a game issue bat that has had use added to it etc., etc."

And there are more threads from GUU that confirm the same answer I was given.

marino13
08-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Just a follow up to this.
I did some digging in old GUU threads about this and found this......
http://www.gameuseduniverse.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=50263
This is form 2007, thats 2007 mind you.

Default Re: Anyone's Steiner Holograms entered into the database?
I can confirm that all numbered game used and game issued holograms issued on items through our team partnerships are indeed recorded and cataloged internally before shipment of an item. We do have every intention of eventually making this available to view through www.steinersports.com as it is done on mlb.com. Please keep in mind though this is a significant undertaking and remains a work in progress. At this time I do not have a date to announce when this will be completed but I do assure you all that we have every intention of eventually making this a reality. I'll make sure you are all informed when this is finished.

Brooks Cowan"

So Mr. Cowan did confirm that they have an internal database and was supposed to make it public in the future, from 2007.
Guess they decided not to make it public and I can confirm if you call now that they will tell you they do not keep an internal database.

And I am not the only one who got this answer.
This is from 2009...
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26840

"Join Date: Mar 2006
Default Re: Will Steiner confirm authentication numbers go with an item if you call them?
You guys both were right. Steiner does have a hologram lookup on their site but it doesn't work at all and I called them today and they say there is no way to check hologram numbers except with the corresponding letter (which is lost on the item I am trying to check on). They don't have the hologram numbers recorded anywhere at all.

I hope everyone that puts so much stock in 'Steiner authenticity' understands they have a system in place that has no way of being checked/confirmed. An item may have a hologram on it but without the letter you have no way of knowing if the item has been altered, a generic cap that has had someone's number added to it later, a game issue jersey that has had use added, a game issue bat that has had use added to it etc., etc."

And there are more threads from GUU that confirm the same answer I was given.

:D

I am full of BS ... and childish? and you already got the SAME answer but you need proof?

who is the dumb ass here?

Come one now!

There is an internal database and it is NOT for general public and that is that!

And if you are buying a Steiner bat with just a hologram on it -- you are as dumb as a doorknob!

Bottom line, you got your answer with the tampered hologram and you still want to take a gamble with the "non letter gamer" and hoping to fish out some answer so you can see if you make a right purchased or you just got swindled .... you take a risk and now you want to help to verify? :D :D :D :D

Roady
08-10-2014, 07:40 PM
First, acknowledged that back in 2006 Steiner claimed they kept an internal database.

Second, they don't claim to do that now and members here as far back as 2009 say the same thing I say.

Third, the hologram bat thing is someone else.

Fourth, reading comprehension before temper tantrum.

Roady
08-10-2014, 07:58 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=34143

Interesting read from 2010 that deals with this same issue and backs up what I have said. The Steiner rep would not even answer the question.
Maybe marino13 is the only one in the world with proof of this "internal database". But like Steiner will not provide any proof of it's existence.

" #14 Report Post
Old 03-23-2010, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Steiner admits there are many "fake" Steiner products

Indy, do you remember the old GUU threads when people argued with me that Steiner's tracking system was as good as MeiGray's? At the time, I just had to laugh. There would be many laughing with me now. I wonder where these GUU users are now? They still post, but not in any of the recent threads about Steiner's tracking system, the fake items on eBay, or this thread about Steiner telling LegalEagle that you can only trust Steiner items that are purchased directly from the company. No surprise, though."

"Old 03-23-2010, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Steiner admits there are many "fake" Steiner products
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
what's the purpose of using those numbered holograms if they're not even trackable, why not just issue the same general hologram they place on their signed items?
I think the main purpose of the numbered holograms was to make sure the LOA and the game used/issued item go together. Before the numbers, there seemed to be a lot of "switching". Also, I think Steiner had the intention of starting a database for the hologram numbers, but for whatever reason, never followed through.

Steiner is now using MLB Authentication more and more, so I see that as a step in the right direction.

-Chris"

marino13
08-10-2014, 08:55 PM
First, acknowledged that back in 2006 Steiner claimed they kept an internal database.

Second, they don't claim to do that now and members here as far back as 2009 say the same thing I say.

Third, the hologram bat thing is someone else.

Fourth, reading comprehension before temper tantrum.

why would they have to claimed anything -- when it comes to INTERNAL stuff? It is INTERNAL!

I know it is difficult for outsiders to understand the term internally --

If the sign on the door said CLOSED and you keep trying to find out what does that means --- you are as dumb as doorknob ... and you deserve to get scammed! :D :D :D :D :D :D

marino13
08-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Another thing, Steiner is a MILLION dollar company --- and you think, they dont have some tracking system in place?

Back to square one -- you are as dumb as it comes!

Bottom line, why would I provide proof even if I had seen it or whatever, what does that do for you? ABSOLUTELY nothing.

So, if there is nothing to gain from the inquiry, why bother with proof or "seeing is believing" s h i t?

earlywynnfan
08-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Marino, why would you need/want a steiner letter if it has an MLB hologram?

marino13
08-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Marino, why would you need/want a steiner letter if it has an MLB hologram?

As far as I know (from my personal collection that is) -- it is a good backup to have the Steiner letter stated the MLB hologram number.

It is easier to narrow down the game date and so forth, instead of just generic and then you have to search for photomatched.

On some good occasions, authenticators will do a complete job and have everything stated on the database. And then steiner will pick them up and attach their own with the info.

But when there is no MLB attachment to the bat, steiner obtained it then they will have their own generic matching hologram along with the letter stated it as such.

Hoosier39
08-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Wait a moment here. So are you saying that I would be "dumb as a door knob" if I bought a bat with only the Steiner sticker but missing the letter?

That's just a joke, right? You do realize that happens all the time, right? And I have zero issues buying a bat with a missing letter, and I have before.

And what's this Steiner and MLB authentication combo talk? If it has an mlb sticker, a Steiner sticker/letter is irrelevant. Having Steiner authentication does nothing for me anyways. Steiner backing mlb authentication up? Ha, that's silly.

Which is why I don't buy from Steiner. An overpriced and supposedly "internal database".

I am full of BS ... and childish? and you already got the SAME answer but you need proof?

who is the dumb ass here?

Come one now!

There is an internal database and it is NOT for general public and that is that!

And if you are buying a Steiner bat with just a hologram on it -- you are as dumb as a doorknob!

Bottom line, you got your answer with the tampered hologram and you still want to take a gamble with the "non letter gamer" and hoping to fish out some answer so you can see if you make a right purchased or you just got swindled .... you take a risk and now you want to help to verify? :D :D :D :D

marino13
08-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Wait a moment here. So are you saying that I would be "dumb as a door knob" if I bought a bat with only the Steiner sticker but missing the letter?

That's just a joke, right? You do realize that happens all the time, right? And I have zero issues buying a bat with a missing letter, and I have before.

And what's this Steiner and MLB authentication combo talk? If it has an mlb sticker, a Steiner sticker/letter is irrelevant. Having Steiner authentication does nothing for me anyways. Steiner backing mlb authentication up? Ha, that's silly.

Which is why I don't buy from Steiner. An overpriced and supposedly "internal database".

To each his own.

I have never misplaced any letter for all the game used bat I got from Steiner .... ever!

All of them are in tube and the letter is rubber-band at the handle of the bat.

I would never purchase any gamer -- especially when it comes to steiner, with just the hologram and the so called "misplaced LOA". That just too many ifs about it.

And if you want to to take a risk and hoping for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ---- which is the main reason of the post --- seeing if there is a searchable database.

Not everyone like steiner stuff, but for me, they have been good with me by getting what I want and when I need them, so I support them (directly until I have reason not to. I do not and have no need to buy their stuff indirectly.

Again, to each his own when it comes to "misplaced LOA" -- I am for one, that will never touch it even if it was affordable.

bobsis24
08-10-2014, 10:14 PM
In a 2009 thread, one of the moderators (TNTtoys) posted about getting a replacement Steiner LOA:

"I had this happen once before with a Steiner item, and the way they went about replacing the cert is exactly the way I believed they should. 1. Requested the item back. 2. Removed the old sticker & entry from their database. 3. Affixed a new numbered sticker & wrote new letter with matching numbered sticker affixed to the letter."

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23312

Here is what a Steiner rep had to say on this subject in 2013:

"Steiner Sports policy is not that we only re-issue COA's for items to the original purchase. Marino is correct we do have a very strict policy because authenticity and integrity of a product is not only paramount but what we've built our company and reputation on over the past 25 years. Our policy regarding replacement COA’s or LOA’s is you need to contact us and set up to send the item you need authenticity on back to us. From there we will examine the item and make sure everything checks out and matches up and if it does we will issue a replacement COA for $50. This has always been our policy regardless of who made the purchase. Our concern isn’t who bought the item it’s about protecting the Steiner brand and standing behind “the Steiner seal means it’s real” philosophy. If there’s anything at all I can do to help you in this process please don’t hesitate to give me a call at 914-307-1004.

Brooks Cowan
Steiner Sports"

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=55714

It's interesting that the rep doesn't explain how Steiner determines that "everything checks out and matches up". If they have an internal database, it seems easy, & there's some good profit in that $50.

If they don't have a record of some sort (even e.g. numbers written on an inventory printout) that ties a specific holo # to a specific item, then it seems that the best they can do is confirm they can't prove the item didn't come from them.

I do agree with the Steiner rep that "authenticity and integrity of a product is not only paramount but what we've built our company and reputation on over the past 25 years". That's why I've always found their inability or unwillingness to provide a database for their GU items to be so confounding.

Bob

Hoosier39
08-10-2014, 10:25 PM
It is to each his own. And it seems like your last post is basically admitting that you buy the LOA and not the item. If you have a Paul O'Neill bat with Steiner hologram, Steiner LOA, but no handle tape or cleat marks...I'm passing. It wasn't used by O'Neill. Ditto for a Jeter bat with the same LOA and hologram but that has handle tape.

Regardless of the paperwork and holograms...common sense and evaluation of use characteristics is a must. To me, it sounds like you're buying the LOA and going off what they say instead of also putting into consideration what you also know as a collector, which I don't personally know you so I don't know how much that is. From a person on the outside looking in, it seems to me that you're someone that only buys an item if it comes with PSA/Steiner/MLB authentication. Which would explain why you buy directly from Steiner only, and would never buy something with missing paperwork, which by the way, happens quite a bit in our hobby. I've told this to someone else on a different situation, but if that's how you feel, more power to you. You're one less person that will be bidding against me.

But like you say, to each his own....

To each his own.

I have never misplaced any letter for all the game used bat I got from Steiner .... ever!

All of them are in tube and the letter is rubber-band at the handle of the bat.

I would never purchase any gamer -- especially when it comes to steiner, with just the hologram and the so called "misplaced LOA". That just too many ifs about it.

And if you want to to take a risk and hoping for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ---- which is the main reason of the post --- seeing if there is a searchable database.

Not everyone like steiner stuff, but for me, they have been good with me by getting what I want and when I need them, so I support them (directly until I have reason not to. I do not and have no need to buy their stuff indirectly.

Again, to each his own when it comes to "misplaced LOA" -- I am for one, that will never touch it even if it was affordable.

mreph
08-11-2014, 11:17 PM
Hey everyone thanks for the responses. The bat that I purchased did only have a steiner Sticker and had a letter from steiner but no MLB authentication. I do believe that it was used and cracked and I believe that it matched the characteristics of other game used bats