PDA

View Full Version : Temporarily stepping away from the hobby

jwal23
08-11-2014, 09:54 PM
I've had a blast on this website since becoming a member and getting into the hobby, made some friends along the way and learned a TON.

My wife and I unfortunately have gotten a little pinched financially recently and with our second child on the way and some debt to clear I've decided to step away from collecting for a little while. I will still be around on the site because i love the hobby and def enjoy seeing some of the amazing pick ups you guys/gals seem to come up with daily, and always love learning new info.

As far as my Evan Longoria collection goes I've decided to let it go except for a just a few items I hopefully can hold on to for many years to come. I will be making a new list in the next day or two of a large majority of my collection I will be selling and will post it on the classifieds here first. Since you guys/gals have had a major part of helping me find and collect I figured I'd post the items that I can sale per forum rules on here first to give y'all the first shot at them if interested or know someone who might be interested.

Again it's been a blast putting all the time and effort into my collection and I can't thank y'all enough for all the help. I will def miss the collecting side of the hobby and hopefully someday in the not to distant future I can start collecting again, but as for now my family comes first and I've got to exhaust every option I can to help them and make our lives as comfortable as possible and this unfortunately is one of the cuts I need to make. Hope to keep in touch with y'all and if any of you are ever around the Houston/Galveston area look me up and we'll have a beer and chat.

- Jace Walters

danesei@yahoo.com
08-12-2014, 02:41 AM
Congrats on the second child, and good luck in your sale of items!

joelsabi
08-12-2014, 03:36 PM
I've had a blast on this website since becoming a member and getting into the hobby, made some friends along the way and learned a TON.

My wife and I unfortunately have gotten a little pinched financially recently and with our second child on the way and some debt to clear I've decided to step away from collecting for a little while. I will still be around on the site because i love the hobby and def enjoy seeing some of the amazing pick ups you guys/gals seem to come up with daily, and always love learning new info.

As far as my Evan Longoria collection goes I've decided to let it go except for a just a few items I hopefully can hold on to for many years to come. I will be making a new list in the next day or two of a large majority of my collection I will be selling and will post it on the classifieds here first. Since you guys/gals have had a major part of helping me find and collect I figured I'd post the items that I can sale per forum rules on here first to give y'all the first shot at them if interested or know someone who might be interested.

Again it's been a blast putting all the time and effort into my collection and I can't thank y'all enough for all the help. I will def miss the collecting side of the hobby and hopefully someday in the not to distant future I can start collecting again, but as for now my family comes first and I've got to exhaust every option I can to help them and make our lives as comfortable as possible and this unfortunately is one of the cuts I need to make. Hope to keep in touch with y'all and if any of you are ever around the Houston/Galveston area look me up and we'll have a beer and chat.

- Jace Walters

Hi Jace,

Glad you are keeping a couple items to reestablish your collection in the future. I once kept one item and resurrected the collection 8 years later and was glad I kept that one item.

As for having your priorities straight, you are a better man and I wish you the best for you and your family. There is nothing like having another addition to the family that can place more perspective of what is really important in life. From my own experience, I almost left the hobby entirely with the arrival of our last daughter and the time away from the hobby made me a better person. A health issue with my daughter and that, in another moment, led to SID of a nephew drove me and my wife to establish a foundation that now disperses yearly over 150 infant breathing monitors to needy Colombian families. This is immensely more fulfilling for us and a blessing which came from our own family struggle.

Rest assured, good things will happen because of your selfless decision.

Regards,

Joel

Wrigley2010
08-12-2014, 11:23 PM
Jace,

Congratulations on your second child. Your Evan Longoria thread was always one of my favorites and I revisited it several times through the past few years.
I hope to see you back on the forum with some new additions sooner rather than later!

Cheers,
Joe

gingi79
08-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Congrats Jace. Try not to think of it as selling your collection, rather trading up for a much more valuable piece. :D

3arod13
08-13-2014, 04:29 AM
Jace, congratulations and wish you all the best!

coxfan
08-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Congrats and best wishes. My wife and I had two girls who've had four boys (so far), and having descendants makes life mean a lot.

But I echo the advice that you should be careful about getting rid of things you may regret losing later. I'm 65 now, and I regret giving away some things going all the way back to my teens. At the time, I didn't know how much I'd value the memories years later that those lost things would have brought back.

And if you see something really valuable to you now, don't be too quick to pass it up. When I was in grad school, I had to pass on a rare, 16th century book because it's $500 cost stretched our student budget too much. Recently I saw that extremely rare book for sale, but it's now $8,000! If we didn't have grandkids with future college costs we want to help with I'd get it now; but I wish I'd found the $500 way back then.