PDA

View Full Version : Dale Earnhardt Helmet

sprint23
08-16-2014, 11:56 AM
I know there does not seem to be much NASCAR related stuff on here but wanted some opinions on an item. In 2001 prior to Dale's death Simpson Safety Products made 6 helmets for him to use that season. Of course he was wearing 1 of the 6. The remaining 5 were released into the market with an LOA from Simpson.

Any opinions on the value of one of these helmets? Thanks.

CHARGER
08-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Do you have any pics? A ton of fake Sr. helmets out there. I know a fake from a real one if you need help.

sprint23
08-16-2014, 09:46 PM
As I said it has a Simpson letter and curious as to value. I know the 6 existed and have been told so by Simpson themselves.

sprint23
08-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Not really questioning the authenticity of helmet. I've compared and researched and know Dale had a special mold they destroyed at his passing. I just have little to compare it to as far as value.

Chess2899
08-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Race-used Earnhardt helmets go from $4000 to $5000. I would guess a helmet would go for about $3000. value depends on how you would market them. I obtained Jr. helmets race used helmets from Hendrick Sports that went for $3500 at auction.

RMoody
08-16-2014, 11:49 PM
I'd be interested in what that COA says, because a few things are troublesome.

First off, Ive been a crew member in Sprint Cup, Camping World and Arca. I've never heard of 6 helmets being made for a driver for a single a year. I've worked with about 8 drivers, none of which exceeded 2.

Secondly, I've only heard stories about the relationship Bill and Dale had. However it's constantly told that Bill took Dales death very personal. At the very least he resigned from his company in August of 2001 over the controversy of his belts failing. So personally, I don't see Simpson just "releasing" these.

Third, I've never heard of a manufacture holding the helmets like that. It's not as if they "issue" the helmet, it's a sold product. Like with Simpson,I don't see RCR just up and "releasing" these helmets either. Thats not constant with how everything else from the 2001 season was treated.

If anything they would have been holding them up, it would have been the person who did the art work on them. I'm assuming that Dales "artwork" was just decals on a helmet, I'd really have hard time thinking that RCR didn't scale those decals and apply them in house.

Also very damaging is 2001 was Dales first year with Oreo cookie and Sonic. I just can't see a situation where rival drive-ins would sponsor a driver and car. Sonic however was not on his uniform or the hauler from that race. Even still, I can't think of any situation where a team was sponsored by one company, while it's driver was sponsored by its rival.

In closing, that helmet does not match Dales from his final day. While pictures are tough to come by and screen captures are blurry his helmet did not have Snap On insignia. It also appears his signature script may have been replaced with the GM logo, but it's hard to tell.

http://i57.tinypic.com/15wj8k3.jpg

Given all that, I'd have a very hard time thinking that is anything other than a replica. I'd have to think it would carry a value around $250 or so.

RMoody
08-17-2014, 12:02 AM
Something else I just realized its that Snap On font, it's more the classic logo they have.

It does not match what was on Dales uniform or car that day, they both had the more "modern" script.

So that really brings three decals on that helmet into question. Wish I could have passed along better news! If I were you I were you, I'd recommend contacting the seller you got it from.

You can also try to reach out to Chocolate when he is on XM....he would be far more knowledgeable than I.

sprint23
08-17-2014, 07:56 AM
I do not own the helmet. I have considered purchasing it. The Sonic Sponsorship was added just before the race which would explain it's absence on his uniform and hauler. As I mentioned I contacted Simpson many years ago about these helmets. They confirmed the existence and release of them. I know of at least 3 of the 5 being sold in the past but it has been many years and no longer know what they went for. Thanks for your help.

sprint23
08-17-2014, 08:19 AM
Race-used Earnhardt helmets go from $4000 to $5000. I would guess a helmet would go for about $3000. value depends on how you would market them. I obtained Jr. helmets race used helmets from Hendrick Sports that went for $3500 at auction.

Can you still obtain helmets from Hendrick? How do you go about doing that? Thanks.

sprint23
08-17-2014, 08:29 AM
If anybody knows of any Earnhardt or Dale Jr. Race-worn helmets for sale, please let me know. Thanks.

bgakladd
08-17-2014, 09:30 AM
If anybody knows of any Earnhardt or Dale Jr. Race-worn helmets for sale, please let me know. Thanks.

Ebay has an Earnhardt Jr. Simpson TEST helmet worn by him for $2499.95 on a BIN price. Listing shows it worn in 2007.

volunteer
08-17-2014, 09:55 AM
This looks like a picture from the race.
http://oi60.tinypic.com/1zvpevp.jpg

RMoody
08-17-2014, 11:09 AM
Yup, that BPillar matches.

Just because they didn't have sponsorship signed with Sonic doesn't mean it wasn't being talked about long before. Given the amount of cash involved and the structure of each company, it's hard to imagine somebody just greenliighting the sponsorship a few days before out of the blue.

I can't imagine any circumstance where Dale or RCR was just going to put Burger King on his helmet free of charge, so the helmets were made that way.....why?

99% sure this is Dale after the IROC race before the 500
http://i58.tinypic.com/2wbrg9h.jpg

No BK or 76, you can see the GM logo that's visible on that pre race incar.

I worked for IROC it's final season, other than Mark Martin the stock car drivers wore the same helmet they used in the stock cars.

So again, it's coming down to this letter and the exact verbiage. Bill Simpson signed the letter? Because after he left...they could have done whatever they wanted. Those could have been PR helmets for TV ads, gifts from RCR that had been laying around.

Does it have a hookup for his mic, wired inside the helmet, because with everything black it's hard to see the black clamper that would mount it.