PDA

View Full Version : Unity Flannel Baseball WWII Era?

CansecoPower33
12-26-2006, 03:42 PM
I just won this on an ebay auction:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/joeryan33/1c98_1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/joeryan33/2d57_1.jpg

That's the only pics on the auction. Sorry, no pic of tags until I receive it.

Item description as follows:
"This is a very heavy flannel baseball jersey I believe to be from the thirties or forties. It is greay flannel with the word Unity on the front and 47 on the back. It is in great shape with no holes or rips."

I have no idea of the jersey's origin. The seller is based in Spring Hill, FL, if that helps any. Any help on placing the jersey to a particular place, time, etc, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joe

Vintagedeputy
12-26-2006, 03:48 PM
There is a Unity Township, Pa.....

CansecoPower33
12-26-2006, 03:53 PM
There is a Unity Township, Pa.....

I found that one and towns named Unity in Maine and Wisconsin. Any idea on the history of baseball of any of those towns?

both-teams-played-hard
12-26-2006, 03:56 PM
That looks like a late 1930s-1940s Rawlings tag in the collar. Rawlings made flannels for the St. Louis Browns. Check the front, to see if "UNITY" was a name change. The number should be felt. Check some old Browns' photos to see if they used that number font. Could be something special, nice find!

CansecoPower33
12-26-2006, 04:07 PM
That looks like a late 1930s-1940s Rawlings tag in the collar. Rawlings made flannels for the St. Louis Browns. Check the front, to see if "UNITY" was a name change. The number should be felt. Check some old Browns' photos to see if they used that number font. Could be something special, nice find!

I'll have a look when it arrives. I really like the number font, especially on that 4. The colors definitely look to match up with the Browns, but I can't remember seeing their number font. I'll try finding pics.

I won't get my hopes up of it being anything related to the Browns just yet.