PDA

View Full Version : NFL Team Playbooks

AKSaint
08-25-2014, 04:11 AM
Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you know much about NFL Team Playbooks? It seems that there are sites out there where you can download PDF versions of old playbooks. This makes me wonder if most of the playbooks available are just reprints.
I came across an auction for an early 70s asst coach playbook that showed very minimal signs of use. Would an original player or coach used playbook show signs of use and likely have hand written notes? Any thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

xsentrixsupra
08-25-2014, 01:06 PM
Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you know much about NFL Team Playbooks? It seems that there are sites out there where you can download PDF versions of old playbooks. This makes me wonder if most of the playbooks available are just reprints.
I came across an auction for an early 70s asst coach playbook that showed very minimal signs of use. Would an original player or coach used playbook show signs of use and likely have hand written notes? Any thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

I can't speak directly about NFL, but my sister's bf owns apartment buildings in Columbus and rents to a lot of football players and they always leave stuff behind. I can email scans of Beanie Wells playbook from 2007 or 2008.

Hah, I wish I was into Ohio State, because he has all kinds of cool game and practice stuff!

AKSaint
08-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Hi Josh,
Thanks for the reply. I saw your post in a previous thread earlier this year and that is pretty neat situation. So, I assume the books do show some use, writing, bent edges, stains, etc? If you wanted to post a scan or two that would be great. I think it would be interesting to own an old playbook, just as a remnant of a teams history. Take care,
Bob

xsentrixsupra
08-25-2014, 04:34 PM
Hi Josh,
Thanks for the reply. I saw your post in a previous thread earlier this year and that is pretty neat situation. So, I assume the books do show some use, writing, bent edges, stains, etc? If you wanted to post a scan or two that would be great. I think it would be interesting to own an old playbook, just as a remnant of a teams history. Take care,
Bob

I'll post some pics when I get home. Not much use, but it was Beanie Wells, not Peyton Manning.........so I mean :D

There are some bent pages/edges, but not any stains that I've seen, nor much writing. What I'm interested to know is how much these programs change up their playbook? This was still while Jim Tressel was still the HC and I don't know how much changed really year to year, so had he wanted to, he could have put it on the internet or something.

Obviously these programs aren't stupid, so they must do something. I just don't know what they could really do. It is pretty cool, just seeing all the different pass protection assignments based on formation and what the defense is doing.

xsentrixsupra
08-25-2014, 08:35 PM
I tried to upload and they were too big, rather than resize or host them. If you want to see it, just give me your email and I can send you some.

AKSaint
08-25-2014, 09:18 PM
No worries Phil , thanks for the info on the ones you have.

recruiter
01-14-2015, 02:38 PM
I collect authentic playbooks and play sheets - the laminated cards used by play callers - and there's about as much problem with fraud in this industry as some of the others outlined on this board.

I always question sellers - especially on eBay - about the provenance of the play books, and about 85 percent of the time they are photocopied. Frequently, I get the old "If it's a copy, it's as game used as the original" canard.

Playbooks are tremendous fun to collect, but like any other segment of the hobby, do your homework.

fredskinz
01-17-2015, 12:46 AM
As the owner of 50+ vintage NFL and sports playbooks, I have very little concern about 95% of my collection. But I also do extensive research on any item I have doubt about, which I'm sure not everybody does. That being said, if your gut tells you its not real, my prerogative is to stay away. I've been doing this for 20 years and I can count the number of times I've been seriously burned by a fake item on one hand. But I remember each burn very well.

I would be happy to share some photos of some real playbooks if anyone is interested.

recruiter
01-20-2015, 09:22 AM
You bet. Post away.