PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn states "This may be it"?

ShaimOnYou
08-31-2014, 10:35 PM
In the smoke of the ChiSox's trade deadline move of Adam Dunn to the A's, he seemed to be a bit bewildered and made some rush statements. He also murmured and mumbled through a short interview where he seemed to be caught off-guard. However, he did authorize the trade because of the no-trade claus in his contract. So where is his head at? I understand the chance to go to a contender, but to announce this is probably it before making that run? That strikes me as a rushed statement without thought.

Being 40 home runs from the 500 home run club in MLB, do you really think he'll hang them up after this season? Assuming he gets solid playing time in Oakland, he'll probably hit 3 or more home runs before the end of the season. And with a play-off spot in the mix, maybe that will light a fire in him to bang out 7 or 8 more. God knows he's had NO reason to have any kind of a fire lit under him playing a part-time non-respected role in Chicago.

Is a guy with the ability to join the ranks of a very cherished highly respected club in his chosen profession going to walk away from certain destiny because of listening to sour-grapes comments of others? Adam Dunn could easily hit another 40 home runs by default. Just needs another two year contract and it's a given. With an inspired year, he may get close with ONE year. Can't some team use a power hitting RBI producer like Dunn somewhere?

I think with hopefully the excitement of a play-off run for the first time in his career, coupled with some time off so his head can clear from the disappointing ChiSox years, and after talking to his wife who will surely want to see him reach the promised land in baseball career (why wouldn't she?), I believe he'll give it another shot if a team will give him a fresh start. He's easily a 30+ home run guy with 100 RBI in the right environment.

Thoughts and comments?

Chris

Hoosier39
09-01-2014, 09:54 AM
500+ HR's or not, he's still not a HOF'er. His strikeout rate is horrible, is D is horrible when he actually plays the field.

Roady
09-01-2014, 09:58 AM
"Yeah, I mean, I'm not going to beat around the bush and say the four years here was great, because it was, um ... it was just bad," Dunn said. "I did it completely to myself. I don't blame anyone, I blame myself. But I met a lot of great people here. I wish things would've worked out better, but it didn't."

That my friends is what a man says. Take note.

ironmanfan
09-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Assuming he gets solid playing time in Oakland, he'll probably hit 3 or more home runs before the end of the season. And with a play-off spot in the mix, maybe that will light a fire in him to bang out 7 or 8 more.

you do understand that post season HR's don't count for your career total, don't you?

I agree that while Dunn is an above average player, his accomplishments will fall short for Cooperstown unfortunately.

ShaimOnYou
09-01-2014, 11:58 AM
you do understand that post season HR's don't count for your career total, don't you?

Um, yeah. I realize that.

I'm saying he could have an explosive September if the excitement of a play-off race lights a fire under him. He is capable of banging out a few home runs from time to time.

I also realize he's not a Hall of Famer. My question was do you guys all think he's really going to retire at the end of this season?

He's only 34 years old, and will be less than 40 home runs shy of the 500 home run club. HOF or not, that places him in a tremendous group of highly respected baseball players in the history of the game. Is he going to walk away from that?

Hoosier39
09-01-2014, 12:49 PM
No, he'll sign with Houston and be their DH. He's from the area so it makes sense.

ironmanfan
09-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Um, yeah. I realize that.

I'm saying he could have an explosive September if the excitement of a play-off race lights a fire under him. He is capable of banging out a few home runs from time to time.

I'm sure the White Sox hoped that the $14,000,000 they were paying him would have lit that fire.

Roady
09-01-2014, 05:00 PM
I believe he talked about retirement at the end of last year as well.

Lets see.........Yep here it is.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/09/adam-dunn-considering-retirement.html

ShaimOnYou
09-02-2014, 09:37 AM
I'm sure the White Sox hoped that the $14,000,000 they were paying him would have lit that fire.

I see. So the White Sox in all their infamous whiz-dom, take their $14 mil investment and turn him into a platoon DH and very minimally part-time 1st baseman, and that's supposed to gear him up?

I understand your point, but the Sox are as much to blame for not getting production out of him as Dunn is for not displaying it, IMO. The guy is 6'6", 285. He does damage with the bat. Keep him in the line up for Christ's sake! Yeah, a .220 average is not good, but how many 30+ 100 RBI guys are their in this "new post-steroid" era of baseball? I can live with that trade off if I'm a manager. And hey, why do teams have "batting coaches"? There's got to be some blame in that category too.

Dunn may be a lot of things, but at least he's clean. If he'd just get that big lumbering body in a weight room, and run a bit on a treadmill, he could probably produce another of his customary 40 home run seasons if handed the opportunity. He's only 34!!!!!! DH's can play well into their 30's and even early 40's.

ShaimOnYou
09-02-2014, 09:40 AM
No, he'll sign with Houston and be their DH. He's from the area so it makes sense.

Interesting. Hope that happens. The Astros need some help.

By the way, Dunn homered in his first at bat in Oakland, now just 39 away from 500. The fun has already started. Sparked a 5-run inning on his two-run homer. Got another hit later in the game. He's already enjoying the change of scenery.

tigerdale
09-02-2014, 09:50 AM
I'd love to see Dunn come back.....I think quite a few teams would be interested in his services!!

ShaimOnYou
09-04-2014, 06:15 PM
I'd love to see Dunn come back.....I think quite a few teams would be interested in his services!!

3 games into his A's career and he already has two home runs. I hope he leads the A's into the post season.

helf35
09-05-2014, 02:28 PM
I am probably one of the biggest Dunn fans out there and I really hope he plays another year and gets the 500 but i really would not be suprised if he didnt. Personally I think several facators played into his poor 4 years and the most obvious is his role as a DH. Look at Thomas his batting average fell off after taking that full time role. 1998 he turned 30 and hit .265 which was a big drop off from his previous seasons. I think he only had one season of .300 after that. Also alot of guys avg decline after 30, look at Pujols. Dunn was a .260 hitter at his best so that 30 or 40 point drop even looks more hideous. I think the negativity with the fans consistantly booing and all the press slamming him really affected him as well. I couldnt imagine getting booed every at bat and having much success. That has to weigh on you eventually. Dunn is a nice addition not a centerpiece and I also think that was a big problem here. If he would have went to a team like the Rangers with a stacked line up at the time hitting with Hamilton Cruz and Beltre he would have probably had a better 4 years. I will be routing for the A's and hope at least worse case senerio he gets a ALCS run. All that losing has to get old and I hope he gets at least one champagne shower with the A's.

ShaimOnYou
09-08-2014, 04:33 PM
I am probably one of the biggest Dunn fans out there and I really hope he plays another year and gets the 500 but i really would not be suprised if he didnt. Personally I think several facators played into his poor 4 years and the most obvious is his role as a DH. Look at Thomas his batting average fell off after taking that full time role. 1998 he turned 30 and hit .265 which was a big drop off from his previous seasons. I think he only had one season of .300 after that. Also alot of guys avg decline after 30, look at Pujols. Dunn was a .260 hitter at his best so that 30 or 40 point drop even looks more hideous. I think the negativity with the fans consistantly booing and all the press slamming him really affected him as well. I couldnt imagine getting booed every at bat and having much success. That has to weigh on you eventually. Dunn is a nice addition not a centerpiece and I also think that was a big problem here. If he would have went to a team like the Rangers with a stacked line up at the time hitting with Hamilton Cruz and Beltre he would have probably had a better 4 years. I will be routing for the A's and hope at least worse case senerio he gets a ALCS run. All that losing has to get old and I hope he gets at least one champagne shower with the A's.

I hear ya, but anything short of 500 and he leaves in a whimper with a failed career. He has a LOT of fans. Sometimes you just have to tune out the boo-birds. He sure gets a loud crowd after launching one of his majestic bombs. Why doesn't he stress his decision on that?

Roady
09-08-2014, 04:53 PM
First let me say that I am a Dunn fan. I always liked him and his honesty.
I honestly felt that if he could have finished his career with a .250 avg and over 500 HRs he was a HOFer. I believe Killebrew was a .256 hitter.
Doesn't look like he can finish with a .250 avg though.

The reason the league is full of 30-40 HR guys hitting .225 and striking out 200+ times is those stupid big contracts being given out like candy by the teams.
They are kind of stuck with them and cannot give up on them as easy as some guy making 500,000 a year.

helf35
09-08-2014, 09:33 PM
I think it will take a team like the Rangers to sign him. Close to home and could put up a decent line up with a chance to win. Not sure there is really anywhere else for him to go. Maybe Detroit if VMart leaves. Seattle would also be a possibility.

calmanagement
09-11-2014, 04:49 PM
I think it will take a team like the Rangers to sign him. Close to home and could put up a decent line up with a chance to win. Not sure there is really anywhere else for him to go. Maybe Detroit if VMart leaves. Seattle would also be a possibility.

Helf35, I really hope the Tigers resign Vmart. He's a top 5 hitter in all of MLB but my fear is the White Sox or another club will grossly overpay for him. If that should happen I know DD is smart enough not to sign Dunn. I hope Dunn doesn't retire and gets to 500 but no way the Tigers bite on his services. Thankfully they signed Vmart instead of Dunn 4 years ago. The Astros are a perfect fit. Carter and Dunn home run show in Houston.

helf35
09-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Helf35, I really hope the Tigers resign Vmart. He's a top 5 hitter in all of MLB but my fear is the White Sox or another club will grossly overpay for him. If that should happen I know DD is smart enough not to sign Dunn. I hope Dunn doesn't retire and gets to 500 but no way the Tigers bite on his services. Thankfully they signed Vmart instead of Dunn 4 years ago. The Astros are a perfect fit. Carter and Dunn home run show in Houston.

I read an article about the Sox having VMART on the top of there to do list. All speculation but it would make sense. Abreu is not Cabrera but he is a damn good hitter and I think VMART would still see the pitches he is getting now. He is having his best season at 35 so I hope the Sox will pass for what his price tag will be. I am sure someone will give him way to many years. I wouldn't mind seeing him on a 1 or 2 year deal but I don't think taking him to years 39-40 will pan out for the Sox since they are still a few years away and that's best case senerio. Houston is young and talented but they are still years away from competing in a division championship. If he goes to Houston its for 500 or a chance to get traded to another contender at the deadline. I truly believe if he plays another year he will only play for a contender. I think your exactly correct that Detroit would not sign him I am just stating I believe that's the type of line up he needs to be in. He needs to hit sandwich between 2 good hitters for him to see better pitches.

ironmanfan
10-01-2014, 12:08 PM
I heard today on MLB Network Radio that Dunn will indeed retire. It's a shame that the A's couldn't find a pinch hitting opportunity for him in a 12 inning game.

Jags Fan Dan
10-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Since he is really going to retire, I want to share my favorite memory of him as a Reds fan. I was at an afternoon game, I believe against the Giants, with a bunch of guys from work. Two runners got on for the Reds and they walked the guy ahead of Dunn to load the bases. I turned to my buddy and said something to the effect of "He's making $10 million a year and they just walked the guy ahead of him to load the bases. If he has a hair on his whole body he will be pissed." And sure enough, the Big Donkey hit a grand slam. That was sweet. Man, he sure hit a lot of pretty, arching homeruns.

Roady
10-01-2014, 01:14 PM
I heard today on MLB Network Radio that Dunn will indeed retire. It's a shame that the A's couldn't find a pinch hitting opportunity for him in a 12 inning game.

Moneyball for the loss! I think moneyball has been proven to be overrated. How many championships have the A's won with Billy Bean the genius?

helf35
10-01-2014, 02:08 PM

I agree with the logic with the starting line up and it indeed worked but i find it hard to believe that you cant find a spot to pinch hit dunn in an extra 3 innings. I would still think its possible he would play for the right situation it just will depend on if that situation arises.

skyking26
10-24-2014, 04:48 AM
It will be interesting to see if he can walk away from 500 HRS. I agree I find it senseless how Bob Melvin can keep Dunn out of the lineup of a series on the line. That said; Dunn could leave his mark on the game with 500 - something to tell the kids about.

If he walks away; I'll at least be moving his home helmet with the Reds. I'll contact you if I indeed move it.