PDA

View Full Version : Is Bonds to blame?

richpick
12-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Since the feds are hell bent on getting Barry Bonds should our focus turn to blaming Bonds for this whole mess? If the reports and mounting evidence is true (which I believe it is) then should Bonds have just admitted he was quilty of said wrongdoing and then MLB could have dealt and cleaned itself. Now we are on the eve of 100 players careers to be brought into question because Barry will not admit the truth.

staindsox
12-27-2006, 09:09 PM
I don't think it's fair to blame Bonds. Clemens probably started using in 95 or 96, which pre-dates Bonds. Canseco always used it. It's not Bonds' fault that others cheated too. I do think you are right in saying this whole thing has been pursued more heatedly because of Bonds. This whole thing may come out into the open in a big part because of Bonds, but any player who used should have to answer for themselves. If someone's career is ruined, its not because of Bonds, it's because they cheated. My thoughts, anyway.

Chris

NegleyPirate
12-28-2006, 12:07 AM
This has been going on before Bonds. I can't and won't blame him. Maybe blame him for not being a people person or fan friendly. I would think MLB knew this stuff has been going on for awhile. The McGwire & Sosa HR saga was great for baseball. People like to see HR's plus all the money it created. This is just my opinion.

JasonM33
12-28-2006, 02:46 AM
I don't think it's fair to blame any one person. I do agree that if he had just admitted it most people would have respected more. It's likely that if he did the news story would have lost a lot of steam. As it stands it seems like the only people that are still peeved are the sportswriters. The average fan doesn't like steroids but they pretty much let it go a while ago.

3arod13
12-29-2006, 04:38 PM
MLB is to blame. They knew what was going on over the years, did nothing about it, and benefitted from it. Now that it's out in the open, they are playing stupid. MLB is to blame!

10thMan
12-31-2006, 06:33 AM
Bonds is only responsible for his personal affairs, no more, no less. Just like you & I. Maybe we`ll have more info soon, if Drug Testing Info gets released by the Govt. Then people can form their Opinions, based on Evidence. Yeah, I know...I`ve Read most of the Books out there... BALCO, CANSECO, & many more. I also remember the `88 Olympics, Ben Johnson was HUGE!!! Remember? Ben Johnson tested DIRTY, he was caught!

Players don`t make Big Money by Hitting sharp Grounders to Second Base! Players Make bank by Solids Stats, this includes Home Runs.
MLB knows Scoring Runs is exciting, So does the NFL.

MLB has ignored this Issue, for way too long. One more thing...Dont think for a second that older players from 50`s, 60`s, 70`s are gonna raise their hands & say "wait a minute" "We took lots of enhancement Drugs"
Think about it,
Sean

allstarsplus
12-31-2006, 09:37 AM
MLB is to blame. They knew what was going on over the years, did nothing about it, and benefitted from it. Now that it's out in the open, they are playing stupid. MLB is to blame! I would put the blame squarely on the players who cheated as they all knew what they were doing was wrong and nobody forced them to do it. There are still 100's of players who use their natural abilities and have been cheated by playing against "juiced" up players.

Many of the cheaters are still cheating using HGH and masking agents.

If you want to blame an organization then put most of the blame on the MLBPA which is the player's union as the MLB has tried to make stronger testing as part of the collective bargaining agreement, and was continually shot down. It wasn't until Congress wanted to get involved that the MLBPA made concessions.

Who do you think is fighting the "dirty 100" list? It's not MLB--- its the Player's Union led by Donald Fehr. If releasing the names "is allowed to stand it will effectively repeal the Fourth Amendment for confidential electronic records," union head Donald Fehr said in a statement Thursday.

We will never know the whole truth, but steroids have been used by athletes for decades and were certainly around in the 50's and 60's.

Andrew