PDA

View Full Version : Value of a photo matched NFL jersey

jpipes
09-09-2014, 04:47 PM
I have quick question for discussion regarding photo matching and the value for lesser known player jerseys.

How do you think having a photo match impacts the value of a jersey for a player that was not on the team long or never made any real impact and was released?

Clearly photo matching is highly desirable. But most folks don't collect little known players. My assumption is a solid photo match would be desirable in and of itself, especially for those interested in collecting that specific team or that specific position from that team. I generally consider lesser tier or little known player jerseys sourced from the team at around $100 or so, and figure a photo match would make them around $150.

Thoughts?

As a follow up, how about the same (little know or quickly released players) but that were draft picks. Do you consider draft picks to be a value add for collectibility for players that otherwise didn't perform or were later released with little fan fair?

Thanks for your comments!

danesei@yahoo.com
09-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Value would always be contingent on what the seller is willing to accept and what the buyer is willing to pay. That said, I can't imagine a photo match of an insignificant player with a short career to bring any sort of premium, unless it was a moment in time type of situation.

For example, evidence matching a David Tyree uniform to use in Super Bowl 42 would hold a HUGE premium over other David Tyree items. If not for that one game (or specifically one catch), he would be considered a no-name, even with his Pro-Bowl selection in 2005.

The contrary example would be Ryan Leaf. Drafted #2 overall, he probably still wouldn't see his game used items (even photo-matched) carry a significant premium over other non-superstar type players.

I would say the photo-match might bring a premium, but would be heavily contingent on the significance of the situation matched to, and being a draft bust probably won't bring a premium, though it might improve marketability, since the player would have some level of recognition locally.

jpipes
09-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Keep in mind I'm talking about elevating the value from something like $100 to $150, not to the level of premium player jerseys.

It's been my experience that having a jersey confirmed via photo matching to be used by a player on a desirable team itself brings a certain value regardless of the actual plauer. Clearly that value is between buyer and seller and will determine what the actual market will support.

Samets
09-10-2014, 06:08 AM
It all depends on the team as far as I'm concerned.

If I can find a game used Chicago Bears jersey for under $200, then it's been a great day!

jpipes
09-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Very good point Samets. These will all be Packer jerseys (probably not what you wanted hear haha).

scottishcowboy41
09-11-2014, 04:20 PM
To me, a solid photo match is going to add a little value to the jersey. I collect Dallas Cowboys game jerseys and all the game used one's I have are photo matched, even some of my practice worn jerseys too. To have a high-def photo of the NFL player wearing the jersey you have in your hands is always going to add satisfaction to the ownership of the jersey. This would make me pay a little more for game worn jersey, even for a low tier player. I would say this would be true for people new to the hobby. Can you remember the buzz you got when you unwrapped your first ever game worn NFL jersey? Even if it was a jersey for somebody cut after the Pre-season and never had a real NFL career, it's still a jersey worn in an NFL game by a world class football player battling to get a roster spot on your favourite team. We are all guilty of swooning over the high end stuff. We all get a bit numbed to jerseys of low tier and never-made-it players the deeper we get into the hobby. But all NFL game worn jerseys are pretty cool. The coolness level just increases in line with the players' talent and success levels obviously. But think back to that first low level NFL gamer you got... to have a photo of a player wearing your jersey in a real NFL game would have definitely added value to the whole experience and maybe you would have paid a little more for the jersey to have that ownership pleasure turned up a notch. In reality I have sold some Cowboys game worn jerseys that were 100% photo matched and got very little for them, so I guess not everyone holds my opinion on a solid match increasing the desirability and therefore the sale price.

Jags Fan Dan
09-11-2014, 04:50 PM
To me, a solid photo match is going to add a little value to the jersey. I collect Dallas Cowboys game jerseys and all the game used one's I have are photo matched, even some of my practice worn jerseys too. To have a high-def photo of the NFL player wearing the jersey you have in your hands is always going to add satisfaction to the ownership of the jersey. This would make me pay a little more for game worn jersey, even for a low tier player. I would say this would be true for people new to the hobby. Can you remember the buzz you got when you unwrapped your first ever game worn NFL jersey? Even if it was a jersey for somebody cut after the Pre-season and never had a real NFL career, it's still a jersey worn in an NFL game by a world class football player battling to get a roster spot on your favourite team. We are all guilty of swooning over the high end stuff. We all get a bit numbed to jerseys of low tier and never-made-it players the deeper we get into the hobby. But all NFL game worn jerseys are pretty cool. The coolness level just increases in line with the players' talent and success levels obviously. But think back to that first low level NFL gamer you got... to have a photo of a player wearing your jersey in a real NFL game would have definitely added value to the whole experience and maybe you would have paid a little more for the jersey to have that ownership pleasure turned up a notch. In reality I have sold some Cowboys game worn jerseys that were 100% photo matched and got very little for them, so I guess not everyone holds my opinion on a solid match increasing the desirability and therefore the sale price.

I agree with all of this. It should add something to any jersey.