PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Cubs Jersey Tagging Question

Wrigley2010
09-13-2014, 11:30 PM
I purchased this Dwight Smith jersey a few months ago. I have discussed it with a few members here and have also done a lot of my own research. With that being said I am still left with questions about this jersey. I have never seen a Cubs jersey from this era without the strip tag but this jersey is void of it. It does have the flag tag however and appears to be good in every other category.

I am aware that Dwights name plate usually had a D on the back during this time period because there were two Smiths on the team. I have found examples of Smith wearing a jersey without the D during this time period as well most noticeably his 1991 Score baseball card.

Does anyone here have any information that could shed light on why this jersey has no strip tag or even Cubs Road jerseys with the AS Patch from this time period they could share?

Sunflower
09-14-2014, 09:32 AM
My 1990 road jersey with the AS patch has a strip tag which reads 22 90 2 50T.

sox83cubs84
09-14-2014, 03:10 PM
My only guess is that the jersey is an extra put together for Smitty on short notice. On the plus side, the size (40) is normal for Dwight for this time frame.

Dave Miedema

brewcrew
09-14-2014, 04:00 PM
I have a home jersey (Jerome Walton) that was repurposed for the Peoria Chiefs the next season. It also has a strip tag. I can send pics if you wish, just shoot me a PM.

Wrigley2010
09-15-2014, 11:11 PM
My only guess is that the jersey is an extra put together for Smitty on short notice. On the plus side, the size (40) is normal for Dwight for this time frame.

Dave Miedema

Dave this was the consensus I came to as well but wanted all the opinions I could get, thanks for the reply!

I have a home jersey (Jerome Walton) that was repurposed for the Peoria Chiefs the next season. It also has a strip tag. I can send pics if you wish, just shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the reply brewcrew and no need for pics. Nice jersey by the way. As a kid Walton was one of my favorite players.

My 1990 road jersey with the AS patch has a strip tag which reads 22 90 2 50T.

Thanks for the info Sunflower much appreciated.