PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Slugger Retiring the P72 Model in Honor of Jeter

ironmanfan
09-24-2014, 03:52 PM
I suppose they didn't consider doing this when Ripken retired since he had tinkered with other models & brands over his career:

http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/article/96195366/louisville-slugger174-retires-p72-bat-model-in-honor-of-derek-jeter

TG19
09-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Jeter is a Great Player but I would take Ripken over Jeter anyday!!

Check out this link....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/23/keith-olbermann-derek-jeter_n_5870860.html

carbonrosa
09-24-2014, 08:15 PM
2014 will be the last year that the Louisville slugger will be calling the bat Jeter uses the P72. Starting 2015 they will honor Derek Jeter calling it "the DJ2". They let him order the very last batch ever produced of the P72 to use as he pleases. Pretty cool

danesei@yahoo.com
09-24-2014, 08:50 PM
And I would take ARod over Jeter any day, as well. I still don't, to this day, understand why ARod didn't insist on playing SS when the Yankees acquired him. Derek Jeter wasn't even the best SS on the Yankees, let alone in all of baseball.

Roady
09-24-2014, 09:22 PM
This Jeter hero worship is ridiculous :rolleyes:
The best future HOF player on the Yankees is Ichiro. He destroys Jeter in nearly every lifetime offensive and defensive category. Jeter is the most overrated player I have ever seen.

DJaeger22
09-24-2014, 09:36 PM
And I would take ARod over Jeter any day, as well. I still don't, to this day, understand why ARod didn't insist on playing SS when the Yankees acquired him. Derek Jeter wasn't even the best SS on the Yankees, let alone in all of baseball.

Because Arod respected Jeter and knew it was his team/position.

Roady
09-24-2014, 09:45 PM
This Jeter hero worship is ridiculous :rolleyes:
The best future HOF player on the Yankees is Ichiro. He destroys Jeter in nearly every lifetime offensive and defensive category. Jeter is the most overrated player I have ever seen.

Roady
09-24-2014, 09:49 PM
This is the only I have ever agreed with Keith Olbermann, I can't stand Olbermann. But this time the is right on the money.
http://youtu.be/__UJ9VZB508

beachpetrol
09-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Statistics aside, I think what people fail to recognize is Jeter, along with Rivera, spent their entire career with the storied Yankees. Not too many players in the modern era can lay claim to playing for one team, especially the Yankees.

Wrigley2010
09-25-2014, 01:23 AM
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Roady
09-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Statistics aside, I think what people fail to recognize is Jeter, along with Rivera, spent their entire career with the storied Yankees. Not too many players in the modern era can lay claim to playing for one team, especially the Yankees.

Playing an entire career with the "storied Yankees" contributed to Jeter's inflated imaginary worth more than Jeter contributed to the Yankees. Playing for the "storied Yankees" does not make him a better player.

tigerdale
09-25-2014, 07:52 AM
I don't think this is about who is better than whoever else....its about Louisville Slugger honoring Jeter who used their bat & the same model number for 20 years w/out ever wavering. That's incredible in todays age w/ all the different bat companies out there. Nice of Louisville to do that I think.

Roady
09-25-2014, 08:06 AM
I don't think this is about who is better than whoever else....its about Louisville Slugger honoring Jeter who used their bat & the same model number for 20 years w/out ever wavering. That's incredible in todays age w/ all the different bat companies out there. Nice of Louisville to do that I think.

Good post and good point.
I guess I am just burnt out on the Jeter is a baseball god junk.
I shall refrain myself and let those who worship his imaginary baseball greatness continue to worship him in peace. :)

Skizzick
09-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Did Jeter pass away and I just didn't hear about it yet? The dedications? The patches? The yearlong memorial ceremony? Oh dear.

RIP Derek Jeter

gorilla777
09-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Well, thank goodness you aren't getting all worked up over it.

Roady
09-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Well, thank goodness you aren't getting all worked up over it.

Allow me to pre-post the next post from the next poster like yourself.......

Here goes........

LOL

sox83cubs84
09-25-2014, 02:31 PM
All other factors being the same, I wonder if Jeter would have received this tribute if he played for anyone other than the Yankees, Mets or Red Sox?

Dave Miedema

dangerzone79
09-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Enough of the Jeter bashing. It's played out. Maybe as much as worshipping him is played out. I'm a Red Sox fan, 100%, but I love Jeter. Not for his offensive stats (very good player with a real flare for the dramatic & clutch as hell) or his defensive stats (I really didn't like that he was a shoe in for Gold Glove every year, regardless of being a subpar SS), ALL of this has been said before, but I love Jeter for what he means to baseball and kids, and even adults. Playing 20 years for 1 team is a special thing, and so rare. Living that entire time in NYC under the scrutiny of paparazzi & beat writers and NEVER getting caught doing anything dumb, or frankly even remotely wrong is incredible. He never said the wrong thing in an interview, never through someone under the bus, always takes responsibility for his own mistakes, and sometimes others. Any human being can learn a lot from a guy like that. This Sox fan will miss seeing #2 at SS.

metsbats
09-25-2014, 07:55 PM
All teams will be required to retire the No. 2 next season.

Roady
09-25-2014, 08:00 PM
All other factors being the same, I wonder if Jeter would have received this tribute if he played for anyone other than the Yankees, Mets or Red Sox?

Dave Miedema

Ask Craig Biggio!

Nnunnari
09-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Just laugh at anyone who thinks jeter is overrated, they don't know or understand baseball. Poor people.
Here's the game winning bat.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z34/Nnunnari/44D0E4D1-BC91-4017-9A98-646E809A94AB_zpslwoivaar.jpg (http://s195.photobucket.com/user/Nnunnari/media/44D0E4D1-BC91-4017-9A98-646E809A94AB_zpslwoivaar.jpg.html)

Roady
09-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Just laugh at anyone who thinks jeter is overrated, they don't know or understand baseball. Poor people.
Here's the game winning bat.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z34/Nnunnari/44D0E4D1-BC91-4017-9A98-646E809A94AB_zpslwoivaar.jpg (http://s195.photobucket.com/user/Nnunnari/media/44D0E4D1-BC91-4017-9A98-646E809A94AB_zpslwoivaar.jpg.html)

Laugh away then. :D
Jeter is overrated and always has been.

Roady
09-25-2014, 09:43 PM
I know I said I would let the disillusioned worship their overrated god.
Pot shots are hard to not respond to though.
I will let them now. I bow out. Go ahead, make innuendos about me or anyone who doesn't agree. Make fun. Act snooty. The floor is yours.

Worship away you smarter than everyone else Jeterites. Just know there are some who will never convert to your religion.

Nnunnari
09-25-2014, 10:50 PM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z34/Nnunnari/1A5F866C-156C-4BDB-BE61-99910325F6E8_zps7hqb1grf.jpg (http://s195.photobucket.com/user/Nnunnari/media/1A5F866C-156C-4BDB-BE61-99910325F6E8_zps7hqb1grf.jpg.html)
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z34/Nnunnari/F5DE86D3-BB0B-403D-8DE9-2359F6BE9EE3_zpsdczgwuqf.jpg (http://s195.photobucket.com/user/Nnunnari/media/F5DE86D3-BB0B-403D-8DE9-2359F6BE9EE3_zpsdczgwuqf.jpg.html)

beachpetrol
09-25-2014, 11:49 PM
I know I said I would let the disillusioned worship their overrated god.
Pot shots are hard to not respond to though.
I will let them now. I bow out. Go ahead, make innuendos about me or anyone who doesn't agree. Make fun. Act snooty. The floor is yours.

Worship away you smarter than everyone else Jeterites. Just know there are some who will never convert to your religion.

The religion we speak of is baseball, and to quote Kramer, you are an anti-baseballite. I hate the Yankees as much as the next guy, but Jeter deserves all the recognition he is getting.

3arod13
09-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Enough of the Jeter bashing.

I don't see much of what everyone is saying as "Jeter bashing." I think many of us have valid points, and those points are just our opinions. Nobody is saying Jeter isn't a good player; carried himself well; mature; professional, good role model, etc. But I do agree with most. If Jeter started and ended his career in Cleveland, Kansas City, etc., do you honestly believe based on his skills and abilities alone, he would be what he is today? I honestly don't think so.

helf35
09-26-2014, 08:56 AM
My personal opinion it is a fitting honor due to the fact that he only used one bat his entirer career for a Louisville Slugger stand point. The amount of people that have jumped ship to Chandler, Sam Bat, Murruci and some of these other labels has caused Louisville Slugger to lose several big name players in recent years.

cjclong
10-13-2014, 11:15 AM
The people who say if Jeter had played for Kansas City, Cleveland, Houston, etc have a point. Its obvious that the fact that he played for the Yankees gave him publicity that other players don't get. He was in more playoffs, world series and big games than most other players. The other side of the coin is he came through in big games. He played well under pressure, unlike some big name and possibly more skilled players. He hit well in the clutch. I don't pretend to be an expert in grading fielders, but you don't go to the playoffs year after year and win world series with an inferior shortstop. There are the intangibles that he played the game the right way, and made the players around him better. You don't hear other players bad mouthing him because they respect the way he played. There always seem to be some people who live to find fault with everything and aren't happy unless they are tearing someone down but the players and most true baseball fans respect the way he played.

3arod13
10-13-2014, 12:23 PM
I think people are taking this to personal. I don't think anyone finds fault with Jeter as a player. But you honestly can't say that Jeter would be the Jeter he is today, if he played his entire career in markets like Cleveland, Kansas City, etc. Jeter wouldn’t have won all those world series on those teams. Yankees have always put good players on those teams, giving those teams a better chance to win those world series. Team sport, not an individual sport, and the Yankees put good teams together. Remember, Jeter was voted the most overrated player by MLB players. And I think the reason is because he was being given so much credit for the Yankees success, which wasn’t the case.

cjclong
10-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Tony, I thought I did say that Jeter got the publicity he did because he played in New York and was in a number of big games. Sure other players in Kansas City, etc. didn't get that chance, but when Jeter did he made the most of it. And when you look at his contributions its obvious the Yankees would not have been in some of those games without Jeter's contribution to the team.Of course baseball is a team sport. If the Yankees didn't have the other great players on teams they had in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's they wouldn't have gone to the World Series if all they had in those years was a Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, or a Mickey Mantle and the rest were a bunch of nobodies. Does that diminish them as players? I don't see the point. When someone like Tom Seaver, who was never a Yankee and has no ties to Jeter and New York, says Jeter should be elected to the HOF unanimously I think that proves the point. As someone who has seen people take great joy in ripping ARod and seem to absolutely hate him I would have thought you would be among the last to down grade a player. I don't think anyone is saying Jeter is the greatest player in the history of baseball. I do think people are saying that Jeter is a solid Hall of Fame player who played the game the right way and contributed greatly to his team's success.

nevrdiez34
10-13-2014, 02:24 PM
When someone like Tom Seaver, who was never a Yankee and has no ties to Jeter and New York, says Jeter should be elected to the HOF unanimously I think that proves the point.

No offense, but Tom Seaver played 12 years on the Mets, pretty strong NY ties if you ask me. I respect Jeter like most, but I agree with many that he is generally over-loved. He was a very good player and a Hall of Famer without a doubt, but he isn't in the top 50 players of all-time and he's been treated like a top 10 player of all-time since the early 2000s. If you ask me he'd be lucky to be a top 10 Yankee of all time.

joelsabi
10-13-2014, 09:55 PM
I suppose they didn't consider doing this when Ripken retired since he had tinkered with other models & brands over his career:

http://m.yankees.mlb.com/news/article/96195366/louisville-slugger174-retires-p72-bat-model-in-honor-of-derek-jeter

Thanks for the post. Louisville Slugger values loyalty like many companys and it is a great tribute to Jeter. How many players have swung the same brand of bat and same model for over 20 years? Maybe there are some ballplayer who did the same prior to the outbreak of other bat companies. That would be some interesting research at photo sites I might attempt if I have time.

Can anyone here produce a photo of Jeter swinging another model bat?

3arod13
10-14-2014, 06:09 AM
Tony, I thought I did say that Jeter got the publicity he did because he played in New York and was in a number of big games. Sure other players in Kansas City, etc. didn't get that chance, but when Jeter did he made the most of it. And when you look at his contributions its obvious the Yankees would not have been in some of those games without Jeter's contribution to the team.Of course baseball is a team sport. If the Yankees didn't have the other great players on teams they had in the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's they wouldn't have gone to the World Series if all they had in those years was a Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, or a Mickey Mantle and the rest were a bunch of nobodies. Does that diminish them as players? I don't see the point. When someone like Tom Seaver, who was never a Yankee and has no ties to Jeter and New York, says Jeter should be elected to the HOF unanimously I think that proves the point. As someone who has seen people take great joy in ripping ARod and seem to absolutely hate him I would have thought you would be among the last to down grade a player. I don't think anyone is saying Jeter is the greatest player in the history of baseball. I do think people are saying that Jeter is a solid Hall of Fame player who played the game the right way and contributed greatly to his team's success.

Again, you're missing my point. I'm not downgrading Jeter as a player. He has played great and done great things with the Yankees. I think Jeter is a good player and based on his performance and record with the Yankees, he is a HOFer. But if Jeter started and finished his career in markets like Kansas City, Cleveland, etc., I don't think he would have received the attention that he has in New york; or won 5 world series, which has made
so many love the guy. Jeter had carried himself well, with maturity and professionalism, and I have a lot of respect for him for that.

And as far as Arod goes, he deserves every bit of negativity he has received. Everything from his positive PED use in 2003; then turns around and continues to do it again; to his off the field crap, it's very frustrating for his fans, like me. I have no problem agreeing with most about Arod.

But I still can't wait for him to return next year!!

3arod13
10-14-2014, 06:22 AM
Most of this is individual opinion and not fact, so it really doesn't change the fact that Derek Jeter is a HOFer.

W_EISENHUTH
10-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Can anyone here produce a photo of Jeter swinging another model bat?[/quote]

Not a photo but the next best thing?:
http://www.goldinauctions.com/1996_Derek_Jeter_Rawlings_Game_Used_225S_Model_Bat-LOT11409.aspx