PDA

View Full Version : Historic Auctions and Donruss Article

Eric
12-29-2006, 01:22 AM
I found an article from last March which mentions Joe White, the man who acquired much of Donruss' game used items accepted a job as VP at Historic Auctions.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the historic auctions items which have been acquired will find their way back to Donruss.

Below find a section of the article and a link to the story
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Historic Auctions Expands, Readies for May Event
3/31/2006 4:26:33 PM

Industry veteran Joe White, formerly of Beckett Publications and Donruss Trading Cards, has accepted a VP position with Historic Auctions, the Seminole, Fla.-based auction house that completed a successful maiden auction last December.

White spent four years with Donruss from 2002 to 2005, where he was charged with acquiring the vast majority of that company’s autographs and game-worn memorabilia. His time there was highlighted by the purchase of a 1925-era Babe Ruth Yankees pinstriped jersey for $265,000 in 2003. Prior to that, White spent five years at Beckett as an assistant price guide editor for Beckett Football.

“I’m proud to be working with a company of Historic Auctions’ caliber,” White says. “They are well respected in our industry and I’m honored to be a part of their team. I look forward to using the experience and knowledge I’ve gained in the game-used memorabilia arena to help Historic grow their burgeoning sports auction business.”

it can be found as a cached page on google here

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:NQRsJ7XwUl8J:www.beckettgrading.com/vintage/news/index.asp%3Fa%3D7064+%22joe+white%22+beckett+donru ss&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4

kylehess10
12-29-2006, 01:58 AM
“They are well respected in our industry

That gave me a good laugh

allstarsplus
12-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Let's see, they have James Brown, Joe White, so now they have to hire Pink and Vida Blue to be truly colorful.;)

ChrisCavalier
12-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Hey Everybody,

I actually met Joe White at the 2006 National in Anaheim. Joe was referred to me by someone else in the industry who spoke very highly of him. Interestingly, when I met Joe he was at the Game Exclusives booth where he now works. While I didn't probe the issue, I believe Joe has left Historic Auctions to work at Game Exclusives.

As a side note, Joe took me through some the jerseys at the Game Exclusives booth and it was amazing to see the wear on some of them. In fact, he told me they (Game Exclusives) were once set up at a show and the people in the booth next to them complained because the jerseys smelled so bad. From the wear I could see on some of the jerseys, it seemed as though it was very possible.

Anyway, just thought I would let everyone know that Joe was representing Game Exclusives at the National in August .

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
12-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Don't collect jerseys. Don't know the person. However, is this in reference to the Ruth jersey that was chopped up into little swatches to be put on cards a year or two ago...one of only 3 of its type and now only 2 left known to exist?
If so-- I remember signing a petition to prevent this travesity from happening but to no avail. I also talked with former HOF'er Gary Carter once at a show who was a supporter of this type of action and could not convince him otherwise. Sorry, no use for any such actions/people/card companies who are out to make their quick money--"share more with the average collector" and convince even the grandaughter of Babe Ruth that this is the correct thing to do with such a priceless item.

both-teams-played-hard
12-29-2006, 04:08 PM
I think the jerseys sold by Historic Auctions are perfect for cutting up into little pieces.

stkmtimo
12-29-2006, 08:09 PM
I think the jerseys sold by Historic Auctions are perfect for cutting up into little pieces.

As do I...As do I :)

Tim