PDA

View Full Version : Interesting geography?

coxfan
09-25-2014, 08:58 AM
As of today (9-25-14) there are four possible world-series matchups of teams who're close neighbors:

1) Dodgers-Angels
2) Oakland-SF
3) St. Louis-Kansas City
4) Washington-Baltimore

Trivia question: What was the last world Series where all games were played in the same stadium?

Answer: The 1944 WS when the St. Louis Cardinals beat the St. Louis Browns (now the Baltimore O's, as of 1954) in six games. That series played an important role in World War II. During the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944, the Germans infiltrated U.S. lines with English-speakers who posed as Americans, giving confusing orders and wrong directions to US troops. The Americans produced a set of questions to expose the imposters.

One of the questions was about the 1944 World Series. It was the Browns' only World Series in their history, and the question stumped the German imposters.

coxfan
09-25-2014, 03:09 PM
Those four geographical possibilities lead to some possibly unique situations:

There's never been an all-L.A. world series.

There's never been a Baltimore-Washington world series.

There's been only one St. Louis-Kansas City world series, in 1985 (Also the Royals' last postseason appearance)

There's been only one all-Bay Area world series (1989)

Although my favorite teams are out of it, I'm looking forward to some new cities this year! Variety's great.

beachpetrol
09-25-2014, 11:53 PM
All LA World Series would be a good series I think.

coxfan
10-01-2014, 08:25 AM
One down. Three possible close-neighbor match ups remain.