PDA

View Full Version : Jeter's final Yankee Stadium Walk-Off Bat

dangerzone79
09-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Good luck getting this one everybody! What a cool thing though. Good for him.

Nnunnari
09-25-2014, 10:52 PM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z34/Nnunnari/44D0E4D1-BC91-4017-9A98-646E809A94AB_zpslwoivaar.jpg (http://s195.photobucket.com/user/Nnunnari/media/44D0E4D1-BC91-4017-9A98-646E809A94AB_zpslwoivaar.jpg.html)

carbonrosa
09-25-2014, 11:00 PM
How did you get photos already?

If it does end up for sale I'm sure starting price has to be $100,000 or more knowing Steiner Sports. Such an amazing way to end his Yankee Stadium career. I have tickets for Saturday's game in Boston and I'm hoping he atleast DH's. I hope that bat doesn't go up for sale and goes to the hall of fame so eevryone can enjoy it.

dangerzone79
09-25-2014, 11:17 PM
I agree, I hope it goes to the HOF, or if anyone gets it it should go on Jeter's wall. I
I got the pics from Twitter.

seanbaseball
09-25-2014, 11:53 PM
$100,000 really. Is this is Babe Ruth? Come on people. Have a Coffee and wake up! Derek Jeter is a great player but not in the top 30 to play the game!

yanks12025
09-26-2014, 05:11 AM
$100,000 really. Is this is Babe Ruth? Come on people. Have a Coffee and wake up! Derek Jeter is a great player but not in the top 30 to play the game!

He's 100% in the top 30.

3arod13
09-26-2014, 05:44 AM
Great ending in NY for Jeter! I was born and raised in NY, and have always been a Yankee fan. I think Jeter is a good player and has carried himself with the utmost class throughout his career. However, I am like so many others where I believe if he started and finished his career on teams like Cleveland, Kansas City, etc., he wouldn't be considered as great or as popular of a player, like he as he been with NY. I saw on ESPN this morning where someone tweeted, "Derek Jeter is the Mickey Mantle of NY." I laughed. Not close. But I do get his likeability and popularity. Congrats to Derek Jeter, on a great final game in NY!

BirdsOnBat
09-26-2014, 06:21 AM
He's 100% in the top 30.

A bulk of his historical value comes from the fact that he was a SS, thus it's somewhat difficult for me to reconcile his lack of defensive value when arguments persist regarding his offensive numbers from the SS position are elite. That being said, somewhere in the 90-100 range seems reasonable.

xsentrixsupra
09-26-2014, 07:46 AM
How did you get photos already?

If it does end up for sale I'm sure starting price has to be $100,000 or more knowing Steiner Sports. Such an amazing way to end his Yankee Stadium career. I have tickets for Saturday's game in Boston and I'm hoping he atleast DH's. I hope that bat doesn't go up for sale and goes to the hall of fame so eevryone can enjoy it.

MLB Authenticators tweeted out last night the bat, ball, and some other Jeter things from this game.

kellsox
09-26-2014, 08:56 AM
He's 100% in the top 30.

I am certain that throughout the history of baseball there are 30 players better than Derek jeter- probably 50

jojac
09-26-2014, 09:49 AM
One interesting move that night was in the fifth inning when Jeter hit a ball foul down the left field line. The ball boy snagged it and head to the stands like he was going to give the ball to a kid which would have been a nice move. At the last second the ball boy switched the ball for one he had in his back pocket and handed it to a fan.

BVC
09-26-2014, 09:58 AM
A bulk of his historical value comes from the fact that he was a SS, thus it's somewhat difficult for me to reconcile his lack of defensive value when arguments persist regarding his offensive numbers from the SS position are elite. That being said, somewhere in the 90-100 range seems reasonable.

Combine Phil Rizzuto and Derek Jeter and you have one legitimate Yankee HOF SS.

Birdbats
09-26-2014, 10:02 AM
I am certain that throughout the history of baseball there are 30 players better than Derek jeter- probably 50

Jeter ranks 88th in all-time WAR at baseball-reference.com -- 20 places below Adrian Beltre?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_career.shtml

WAR isn't a perfect stat, but it does provide a reasonable way to compare players from different eras who play different positions.

Even if Jeter is the 88th best player ever, consider more than 18,000 guys have suited up in history. Top 0.5% ever? That's still greatness.

yankees506
09-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Great ending in NY for Jeter! I was born and raised in NY, and have always been a Yankee fan. I think Jeter is a good player and has carried himself with the utmost class throughout his career. However, I am like so many others where I believe if he started and finished his career on teams like Cleveland, Kansas City, etc., he wouldn't be considered as great or as popular of a player, like he as he been with NY. I saw on ESPN this morning where someone tweeted, "Derek Jeter is the Mickey Mantle of NY." I laughed. Not close. But I do get his likeability and popularity. Congrats to Derek Jeter, on a great final game in NY!

Tony this tweet was "derek jeter is this generations mickey mantle"......... As a young man myself I can only say jeter is the only thing we have known. Billy crystal once said he'd always remember how mickey would remove his cap in an unorthodox fashion from the rear of his head, I'll always remember jeters tipping of his cap and tap of the opposing catchers shin guard before every at-bat.

kellsox
09-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Read a piece today in which Jeters advanced metrics #s compared very closely with Barry Larkin. That of coarse doesn't take into acct postseason success but puts Jeters numbers into perspective.

seanbaseball
09-26-2014, 11:31 AM
He's 100% in the top 30.

Top 100 to ever play yes. Your seeing pinstriped vision. Top 30 no way!!!!
Not by any standard.

3arod13
09-26-2014, 11:43 AM
I will back out of this conversation. But most agree, if not in NY, it wouldn't be what it is.

BirdsOnBat
09-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Read a piece today in which Jeters advanced metrics #s compared very closely with Barry Larkin. That of coarse doesn't take into acct postseason success but puts Jeters numbers into perspective.

I'm on board with that comparison. Larkin is well above the Jaffe line for "HOF worthiness" for what it's worth as is Jeter.

eric16841
09-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Being from NY my whole life, everyone knows how I feel about Jeter and his career. In remarks to the bat I love the fact he is a bat from May deep into September really shows how hard it can be to photo match a bat starting at the date

sportsnbikes
09-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Did you all see that Louisville Slugger is going to retire the P72 model and replace it with the DJ2 model?

ferro39
09-26-2014, 05:58 PM
i would think that most people who watched both jeter and larkin closely would still rank jeter as the better player

to say that jeter was barry larkin if barry larkin played in ny and played longer is a big reach, imo (and that's in no way, shape, or form a knock on larkin)

people are too hung up on advanced statistics these days. they're also very easy to cherry pick to push an agenda.

DoctorLoomis
09-26-2014, 11:27 PM

Preach the truth. If Jeter played in a lesser market....Brewers, Pirates, etc....we aren't even having this discussion. Top 30 of all time is absurdity.

3arod13
09-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Preach the truth. If Jeter played in a lesser market....Brewers, Pirates, etc....we aren't even having this discussion. Top 30 of all time is absurdity.

I think for many, this is exactly what most think!

stonedylan
09-28-2014, 09:43 AM
There are so many intangibles that cannot be measured. His success was in large part due to his consistency. Where he ranks amongst the best is missing the point. He is the type of player that only comes around once in a generation.