PDA

View Full Version : Rawlings tagging

kellybarfield
12-29-2006, 09:59 AM
As a very new member I noticed reading some of the threads yesterday some posts concerning Rawlings tagging.In all the cases that I saw the year was always shown as a flag tag. In my relatively small collection I have 7 Rawlings jerseys of which 4 have the year shown on a fabric strip tag. Three of these are from 1991(Padres-Craig Lefferts,Expos-Marquis Grissom and Indians-Jose Morales) and one from 1990(Giants-Rick Reuschel which actually has a 1988-1989 style Rawlings tag ,but it is a size 50 which is the same size he worn in 1989 and therefore I concluded that they were probably using up old stock - this jersey is also stamped on inside tail "Purchased from San Francisco Giants".
Since I don't have a digital camera to send along any pictures, from what I have described above does the desciption of this tagging on these jerseys send up any red flags for anyone or from the years mentioned '90 and '91 have you seen Rawlings year tags that were not flag tags?

kingjammy24
12-29-2006, 02:42 PM
in 1990/91, some teams did opt to use a strip tag showing the year/set in lieu of a flag tag. i'm not sure why. the indians immediately come to mind as one of the teams to have done this. they were also one of the rare teams to have the rawlings tag sewn in the collar instead of in the body.

while i'd always exercise caution with an 80s/90s rawlings jersey that's missing a flag tag, the specific jerseys you mention strike me as being those rare few that were legitimately missing flag tags.

i don't currently have access to my photo library. later tonight, i can post photos of what the tagging should look like for the specific jerseys you mentioned.

rudy.

kingjammy24
12-30-2006, 12:29 AM
here is the tagging for 1991 indians jerseys and 1991 padres jerseys:

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4070/91it5.jpg

i didn't have any 1991 giants or expos examples. the giants examples i've seen from that period simply have the uniform number on a strip tag. i've seen 1990 expos examples with flag tags. they usually had the uniform size and year on a strip tag.

i wouldn't be worried about these specific jerseys of yours simply because they lack flag tags. in fact, with the indians in particular i'd be worried if it did have a flag tag.

rudy.

kellybarfield
12-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks Rudy for your help with this.

Steve