PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on inscribed game used items

Titans74
09-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Not sure how else to phrase but say you are looking to buy a game used bat and the bat is not only signed but inscribed "hr #***".

Without an exact photo/video match, how much stock do you put into that bat actually having been used to hit that exact hr?

onlyalbert
09-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Not much. A photomatch is priceless.

Titans74
09-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Not much. A photomatch is priceless.

I absolutely agree. I suppose I'm looking for a way to talk myself into buying one that claims to be a specific hr but I cannot find one shred of solid evidence.

emann
09-27-2014, 10:44 PM
I've got a few bats like this, but none have been very expensive (nothing over $350ish)... A couple of the bats are from lesser players, the type that there would really not be much of a monetary incentive to fake the HR designation. So combining that logic and the overall use on the bats, I assume those are real. There is one that came from the player's rep, shows less use and I've been somewhat iffy on it. It is a nice looking bat though, so I take the extra inscription as a bonus.

If any of these were high dollar items, I definitely would not be as trusting of the player notations. To me, the photomatch is king—MLB auth, COA, LOA, they all come second.

Titans74
09-28-2014, 12:12 AM
I've got a few bats like this, but none have been very expensive (nothing over $350ish)... A couple of the bats are from lesser players, the type that there would really not be much of a monetary incentive to fake the HR designation. So combining that logic and the overall use on the bats, I assume those are real. There is one that came from the player's rep, shows less use and I've been somewhat iffy on it. It is a nice looking bat though, so I take the extra inscription as a bonus.

If any of these were high dollar items, I definitely would not be as trusting of the player notations. To me, the photomatch is king—MLB auth, COA, LOA, they all come second.

Thanks emann.

Btw, I saw a private message from you. Not sure if we ever wound up speaking. I've been away from the hobby for a while.

Email me if you'd like.

3arod13
09-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Not always easy to find a photo match. 100% provenance helps.