PDA

View Full Version : Authenticity Opinions on this Jeter ball

KTroublesome
09-29-2014, 06:27 AM
Looking at this ball...I am really tempted to get it. Just looking for a couple opinions on whether or not it's authentic.

Skizzick
09-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Doesn't look too good to me. A couple points:
-The entire autograph seems shorter compared to other authentic Jeters
-The first two loops never cross over that much or that high on the 'D'
-The bottom loop usually connects back to the rest of the autograph and doesn't just cut off like that. Sometimes I've seen it where it looks like the pen will skip, but never at an angle like that
-The final "r" just looks completely off. Never seen a Jeter like that.

My opinion (to be administered with a grain of salt): NOT AUTHENTIC

gameused
09-30-2014, 11:31 PM
Looking at this ball...I am really tempted to get it. Just looking for a couple opinions on whether or not it's authentic.

Here's a Derek Jeter Steiner authenticated signed baseball. I pasted the Steiner Jeter autograph to the ball you posted. The ball you have looks authentic to me. Even the length of the auto and the placement of where he started the first letter "D" and ended the auto is almost exact.

3arod13
10-03-2014, 07:20 AM

Signature if solid!

3arod13
10-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Signature if solid!

is solid

Titans74
10-03-2014, 07:29 AM
That is 100% Jeters signature.

Wrigley2010
10-03-2014, 04:46 PM
I concur that signature looks good to me.

ChiBosox05
10-03-2014, 11:24 PM
I agree. I've been studying Jeter's autograph for years. IMO it's real. I've seen some good fakes, but forgers just can't quite get the sig.

spartanservitto
11-11-2014, 11:01 AM
His autograph is never exactly the same - I've gotten him many times .... That ball is 100 percent real.

jlabadie88
11-11-2014, 09:42 PM
It looks slightly labored and I seem to be seeing slight shakiness of hand at the end. But as I just recently purchased my own Jeter signature, I have realized that no two of his look alike.

Griffey24fan
11-12-2014, 02:08 PM
That Jeter is not real

yankees506
11-12-2014, 09:49 PM
That Jeter is not real

Ive felt the same, it's well executed but I think it's still no good.

marino13
11-13-2014, 07:00 PM
It is a very nice "fake".

I compared all my Jeter signatures - on gamer and non-gamer, there was NO "pressure" difference between the signatures. They are all constant across the board. By this I meant - the ink pressure on the item is the same.

As for the OP's posted signature - it looked "press" really hard at first and then ease off.

Another thing that throw me off on the signature - the "D" loop seemed very OLD copy of Jeter signature on the bat. (Maybe they went hi-tech and have a trace-copy machine similar to the one that jeweler uses to engrave name inside the ring).

sportsnbikes
11-14-2014, 01:50 AM
I honestly don't know how any of you can say with or without certainty that the signature is fake OR real. Unless, you either saw someone forge it or saw Jeter sign it. There are just too many variables such as maybe the pen he was using wasn't as dark giving the appearance of a lack of pressure. Maybe he was rushed and that's why a letter may look different. I have seen too many autographs that look completely different from the same person. There is NO way that ANYONE can say for sure whether it's real or not. And that goes for the supposed "experts".

I could post 50 autographs of people and I would bet that half of them people would say they are not "real" even though I obtained them myself.

Griffey24fan
11-14-2014, 01:37 PM
99% of the time regardless of what the autograph looks like there are characteristics that are present in authentic examples. I am sure if you posted some examples of those 50 with fakes people could tell you real/fake and do quite well.

jojac
11-15-2014, 08:01 AM
I'm not an expert on Jeter but that signature looks good to me. The thing that gets me is the part Steiners plays in Jeter items. If anyone met Jeter on the street and was able to obtain his signature they would have a tough time selling that item in the future because it would be considered questionable because it didn't have the Steiner sticker. I know you need to be careful in purchasing an item without proper authentication but Steiners brought it to a new level with Jeter. I guess in a way you should take your hats off to them for what they've accomplished with Jeter but as fans and collectors its caused some frustration. They have you in some sense to a point where if you want to feel comfortable with obtaining his signature then just send it in with a check for $600 and they'll do the rest otherwise you'll find yourself here asking if its OK.

sportsnbikes
11-17-2014, 02:16 AM
99% of the time regardless of what the autograph looks like there are characteristics that are present in authentic examples. I am sure if you posted some examples of those 50 with fakes people could tell you real/fake and do quite well.

I don't agree.

Case in point is this Jeter. Half say it's good half say it's not. Plus if that were the case, then one would think that the 3PA's would be able to do a better job at authenticating signatures that are real. I have NEVER had a signature pass authentication even though they were all obtained by me in person. That is why I don't trust them and no longer use them.

The bottom line is that no one ever truly knows unless they see it in person...barring a blatant bad forgery.

BaseballNutz
12-18-2014, 10:28 AM
I'm a bit late to the game but that Jeter is absolutely positively 100% real and there is no question in my mind. It possesses all of the "trademark" Jeter characteristics of his signature.

Dave

Griffey24fan
12-18-2014, 03:40 PM
What are you submitting that is not passing. It is well known within the hobby that big names get rejected often unless you submit through a large sub or they feel like being generous. I have had IP stuff fail I have seen fake stuff pass.

They won't be perfect and nobody can be unless you only keep what you get IP.

To anyone believing this to be real, I would be interested in your examples either IP Steiner etc. that compare well with this.

Personally it looks like the numerous fakes that bombarded eBay during his retirement season.

johnsontravis@ymail.com
01-14-2015, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't be very comfortable buying that baseball. It could be real or it could easily be fake. To anyone saying it is surely fake I want you to go to the link below and tell me if you saw that ball without any authentication if you would call it legit? Derek Jeter is extremely inconsistent because of his scribble filled signature.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181639881163

Skizzick
01-14-2015, 02:25 PM
A lot of you have confidence in a ball featuring one of the most forged signatures in the hobby that you didn't see Jeter sign in person. You say it's 100% real? Wow, you guys must have ESP or something.

3arod13
01-15-2015, 09:11 AM
A lot of you have confidence in a ball featuring one of the most forged signatures in the hobby that you didn't see Jeter sign in person. You say it's 100% real? Wow, you guys must have ESP or something.

Opinion was asked, and my response was "signature is solid," and that was just my opinion. I can say that the signature is a really nice Jeter signature, and I don't see any flaws in it whatsoever! So if it is fake, the person who signed it is really good!

Skizzick
01-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Opinion was asked, and my response was "signature is solid," and that was just my opinion. I can say that the signature is a really nice Jeter signature, and I don't see any flaws in it whatsoever! So if it is fake, the person who signed it is really good!
I wasn't pointing out your opinion specifically, but saying somethings is "definitely real" or "100%" on any item is an exaggeration, especally when not seeing it in person. Even PSA/DNA, JSA, etc. only say something is "likely authentic" without witnessing the signing of the item themselves.

3arod13
01-15-2015, 01:54 PM
I wasn't pointing out your opinion specifically, but saying somethings is "definitely real" or "100%" on any item is an exaggeration, especally when not seeing it in person. Even PSA/DNA, JSA, etc. only say something is "likely authentic" without witnessing the signing of the item themselves.

Sorry for coming across that way. I probably should have just made the comment, without highlighting your comment.

I agree with you. However, didn't see him sign it, but I can say that is his signature. 100% guaranteed in my mind (lol)

Griffey24fan
01-18-2015, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't be very comfortable buying that baseball. It could be real or it could easily be fake. To anyone saying it is surely fake I want you to go to the link below and tell me if you saw that ball without any authentication if you would call it legit? Derek Jeter is extremely inconsistent because of his scribble filled signature.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181639881163

He is really not as inconsistent as most think, he tends to have the same known characteristics for most autographs. That eBay auction Steiner or not is consistent with his signature and fine.

yankees506
01-19-2015, 01:23 AM
He is really not as inconsistent as most think, he tends to have the same known characteristics for most autographs. That eBay auction Steiner or not is consistent with his signature and fine.

I respectfully disagree. Auto is a solid fake

yankees506
01-19-2015, 01:26 AM
Sorry meant op ball is a solid forgery

spartanservitto
02-20-2015, 07:00 PM
The ball is 100 percent real. I have got him so many times - it's pretty easy to spot a fake.

spartanservitto
02-20-2015, 07:08 PM
Here is one I got at a restaurant near the old ritz in Dearborn when I was 17-18.

spartanservitto
02-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Here is one I got at the team bus.

spartanservitto
02-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Here is one I got at the stadium - the point is , his autograph varies but there are consistencies - I have 3-4 baseballs I gly
In person and I would be 100% satisfied buying that ball as authentic.