PDA

View Full Version : Favorite player that never won a major award?

jake33
09-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Just curious on what forum members will say on this. Who are your favorite player(s) in various sports who never won a major league award.... Such as the regularly recognizable award (like MVP, Cy Young, Comeback player of the year, Ed Block Courage, Man of the year, Rookie of the Year etc.), also other big awards such as All Star/Pro Bowl Selections, Post Season MVP, or Rolaids Relief Pitcher of the year. I wouldn't shun Player of the week awards, as they great awards to win, but not on the same level as the previously mentioned awards. Super Bowl or WS winners could be included, as long as no major individual award was won (as a professional).

Here are a few of mine that come to mind....

Baseball - Dan Johnson, Rob Deer, Randy Choate, Billy Bates, BilLSpiers, Pete O'Brien

Football - Shaun King, Paul Gruber, Jeff Query, Travis Jervey, Broderick Thomas, Ty Detmer, Leshon Johnson

admin_old
09-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Delino DeShields, Mark Whiten, Bernard Gilkey come to mind. Several of my favorites stumbled into an all-star game, taking them out of consideration.

godwulf
09-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Delino DeShields, Mark Whiten, Bernard Gilkey come to mind. Several of my favorites stumbled into an all-star game, taking them out of consideration.

Gilkey may not have won any major sports awards, but he does have the distinction of having played himself in a movie, however briefly. (Okay, technically, his character is listed in the credits as "Baseball Player", but he plays a Mets outfielder and he was a Mets outfielder at the time.)

gingi79
09-30-2014, 08:59 PM
O.J. McDuffie. He was building a very solid career from 1993 to 1998, constantly improving his yards per year and averaging about 12 yards per catch and 7 TD's a season. In 1998, he even led the NFL in receptions with 90 but somehow did not make the Pro Bowl even though he was one of the best WR's in the AFC that season. Even with a career high 90 receptions and 1050 yards with 7 TD's, he never registered on the ballot. Then he developed Turf Toe and it ruined his otherwise solid and promising career at what was most likely the halfway point.

Interesting side note on Juice, he is an avid and very talented bowler and was even recorded bowling a 300 game (The video is on YouTube)

As a fan, I'm still a little sore on his 1998 omission.:p

ironmanfan
10-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Just curious on what forum members will say on this. Who are your favorite player(s) in various sports who never won a major league award.... Such as the regularly recognizable award (like MVP, Cy Young, Comeback player of the year, Ed Block Courage, Man of the year, Rookie of the Year etc.), also other big awards such as All Star/Pro Bowl Selections, Post Season MVP, or Rolaids Relief Pitcher of the year. I wouldn't shun Player of the week awards, as they great awards to win, but not on the same level as the previously mentioned awards. Super Bowl or WS winners could be included, as long as no major individual award was won (as a professional).

Here are a few of mine that come to mind....

Football - Shaun King, Paul Gruber, Jeff Query, Travis Jervey, Broderick Thomas, Ty Detmer, Leshon Johnson

For Ty Detmer, I'd consider the Heisman Trophy as a major award

Jags Fan Dan
10-02-2014, 08:29 AM
In baseball for me, it is Lenny Harris. All time pinch hit leader, could play anywhere in the field.

sox83cubs84
10-02-2014, 01:40 PM
In baseball for me, it is Lenny Harris. All time pinch hit leader, could play anywhere in the field.

+1 from me on Lenny. I always found him to be a great guy, and got a GU cap from him while he was with the Marlins. Currently, we're Facebook friends.

Dave Miedema

Jags Fan Dan
10-03-2014, 02:29 PM
+1 from me on Lenny. I always found him to be a great guy, and got a GU cap from him while he was with the Marlins. Currently, we're Facebook friends.

Dave Miedema

I was never an autograph hound, but one day I had awesome seats at the reds game and he came over and signed my ticket stub without me even really asking. Stands today as the only autograph I have ever gotten at a game.

mook03005
11-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Juan Pierre (3x SB leader, 2 time Hits leader) 2200+ hits .295 career average.

Roady
11-21-2014, 07:02 AM
Juan Pierre (3x SB leader, 2 time Hits leader) 2200+ hits .295 career average.
Agree 100%. Pierre was old school and a major factor in the Marlins WS win.

helf35
11-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Agree 100%. Pierre was old school and a major factor in the Marlins WS win.

Always a big fan of Pierre. I loved it when he came to the Sox. Sox fans can be brutal I thought his first season was a success but he was not embraced. Almost 200 hits and 68 SB's made for a pretty decent year. He was snubbed in 2003, 2004. He hit over .300 with 200 hits and scored 100 runs. Also stole 68 and 45 bases those 2 seasons. He was just trumped by all the power hitters at the time.

Roady
11-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Always a big fan of Pierre. I loved it when he came to the Sox. Sox fans can be brutal I thought his first season was a success but he was not embraced. Almost 200 hits and 68 SB's made for a pretty decent year. He was snubbed in 2003, 2004. He hit over .300 with 200 hits and scored 100 runs. Also stole 68 and 45 bases those 2 seasons. He was just trumped by all the power hitters at the time.
Some fans don't know enough or appreciate baseball enough to know talent when they see it.

helf35
11-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Some fans don't know enough or appreciate baseball enough to know talent when they see it.

I have been a die hard Sox fan since I can remember, I have been to every soxfest since 97 and every year I hear people just hammering on certain guys and I can never understand why. When we got Pierre I remember people talking about how bad he is and why would you want to get that bumbs autograph. I get the Dunn hatred but im not sure what everyone expected. An aging Power hitter usually does not get better. He recovered in 12' but I imagine all the damage was already done after the terrible 11' season which for my 2 cents I blame ozzie and Dunn's surgery from the first week of the season. I think he came back to early.

Roady
11-21-2014, 03:34 PM
Apparently many fans think HR hitters get 100 RBI's all on their own without anyone being on base. :D
Juan Pierre was a table setter who made things happen on the bases. He was as good of a player as I have ever seen.