PDA

View Full Version : Darryl Strawberry GU 1986 Mets WS Jersey

mrw2161
10-06-2014, 01:55 PM
I know his value has plummeted over the years but any thoughts on a 1986 GU home Mets WS jersey....I often see a identical Gooden jersey for some ridiculous amount on eBay and don't think that either player is very well respected in NY circles anymore but I could be wrong. Also have his bat from the same WS, both items are autographed....and go !!

TNTtoys
10-06-2014, 02:36 PM
I know his value has plummeted over the years but any thoughts on a 1986 GU home Mets WS jersey....I often see a identical Gooden jersey for some ridiculous amount on eBay and don't think that either player is very well respected in NY circles anymore but I could be wrong. Also have his bat from the same WS, both items are autographed....and go !!

Hello,

If you're referring to the Gooden on ebay, it is this same exact jersey:

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1986-dwight-gooden-world-series-game-issued-new-york-mets-jersey/a/7075-81745.s

Three comments about this one:
1. Although Gooden inscribed it as "1986 World Series," it is clearly not a World Series jersey because the lettering is the same lettering as a regular season jersey, not a World Series jersey. There was a significant change in the lettering between the regular season and the post season. Furthermore, the post season jerseys all had a "set P" tag.
2. I don't know what made this a "team issued" jersey and not a "game used" jersey but it is clear that it is not game used in every auction it pops up in. My only guess is that it was presented this way to Heritage Auctions, and based on the documentation it was presented with, it was listed accordingly.
3. I don't know how an ebay seller can think that something he purchased for $600 is now worth $10,000. That is absurd.

So, my question to you is how sure are you that your jersey and bat are from the World Series and not just the regular season?

And the items would have maintained considerable value (but obviously nothing close to the team issued Gooden's price on ebay). If you would like, send me photos of both, and I can assess for you. My email is TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

I have a Strawberry bat used in the 86 season as well as an 86 regular season jersey. I can also cue you in on what I believe these are worth as well.

Nick

Swoboda4
10-17-2014, 02:17 AM
Hi Nick-What changes were there, in the lettering in '86 between the regular and post season? Just double checking with the Dykstra I have.-Robert

TNTtoys
10-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Hi Nick-What changes were there, in the lettering in '86 between the regular and post season? Just double checking with the Dykstra I have.-Robert

Robert,

The lettering change was the switch from flat tackle twill lettering to the heavily textured and shiny dazzle twill (you would know this style lettering from all Mets jerseys 1987 through 1992; best characterized by having vertical lines running through it). Also, the 1986 post season jerseys had a patch sewn onto the jersey next to the Goodman tag that read "Set P 1986" If your jersey has neither of these characteristics, it is not a post season jersey.

Nick