PDA

View Full Version : Something we should all be aware of in the hobby.

jbsportstuff
10-10-2014, 03:30 PM
There is an Ebay seller,
dfjp56 (http://myworld.ebay.com/dfjp56/)
who is taking actual GU jerseys of common players and then restoring them to a star player. This came across my radar recently as I was looking through Reds GU stuff and he had a Rose and Bench jersey that he "professionally restored."

He freely admits what he does, but down the road an unsuspecting buyer could be purchasing one of these "restored" beauties thinking it's a real Bench, Rose or Griffey GU jersey when in fact it was another players jersey turned into a Bench/Rose/ect.

Here is his description of a 1977 "Bench replica" jersey he recently sold:
Here offered is a vintage Cincinnati Reds, Johnny Bench road jersey. This AUTHENTIC - replica was game used during the 1977 season by pitcher Mike Caldwell. I had this jersey professionally stripped down and restore into an awesome looking Johnny Bench for display purposes only. It came out flawless. Absolutely Beautiful. No visibility of the previous name or number. This has and will continue to fool the naked eye while being displayed. There are No Authentic - replicas offered in the market that can compare to this or the many others that I am currently listing. Bid with confidence. I guarantee you'll be totally satisfied.

Just a heads up to the GU community. He's not doing anything wrong, per se, since he's saying what he's doing. The long term effects could be disastrous for an unknowing buyer. He's not just selling Reds jerseys. He currently has a Brett, Garvey and Gwynn jerseys currently up for sale. It looks like he has also sold some authentic gamers in the past as well.

Phil316
10-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks for this post.

gingi79
10-10-2014, 11:05 PM
In the hockey GU community, there was an influx of jerseys stripped when any player in an Oilers jersey from 1978 until 1987 who wore a sweater with a jersey number with a #9 in it was remade into a Gretzky. I believe it was the first GU Con followed by the Custom Crafted scam.

This "renovation" and it's documentation are Reason #8476 the members and knowledge of the website are essential to the GU hobby.

flaco1801
11-03-2014, 04:45 PM
I had the same concerns when people were selling game cut Yankee jerseys here on the forum...Totally legitimate and fully disclosed, who know how many were fooled down the line...This aint no hobby...

Phil316
11-03-2014, 05:51 PM
IThis aint no hobby...

I agree.