Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CTjerseys1964
    • Oct 2013

ROGER MARIS game used glove help

I just acquired this early 60's Roger Maris glove along with a Mel Stottlemeyer glove. Both gloves came fom a former Yankees batboy who worked for the team in the early to mid 60's. Other items from the same person included two team signed photos....several game used bats including a Kaline and Tom Tresh...as well as game used hats....I am looking for glove experts to confirm the glove to be one that Maris would have ordered and used. I will also post pics of the Mel glove as well....as usual any help and opinions are appreciated!
    Attached Files
  • CTjerseys1964
    • Oct 2013

Re: ROGER MARIS game used glove help

Here pics of the Stottlemeyer glove
    Attached Files

Comment

• GoTigers
      • Aug 2007

I can't help with the gloves.. But I'd love to see that Kaline bat!
      Thanks,
      Jimmy

Email:
      jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

Comment

• yanks12025
        • Jan 2006

A quick google search shows the Maris model 42-217 as a store model. I think he'd use something a litte more high quality than a store model made glove.

Comment

• yanks12025
          • Jan 2006

Sorry meant model 42-137

Comment

• CTjerseys1964
            • Oct 2013

Thanks for the info...although the glove I have is a Professional model 42-137 glove...as I said both gloves were acquired from former yankee bat boy from the mid 60's...the Kaline bat along with the Tom Tresh bat and some other game used bats were sold by my friend that acquired all of the pieces....there were several game used hats...2 yankee signed team photos one from 1962 and one from 1963...and a national league signed all -star bat that included Clemente and the entire national league team...that bat was sold at auction...I am just trying to see IF the Maris and Stottlemeyer could be game used based on the source and all of the other items that were part of the collection....IS the glove a Professional model he could have ordered or used? Again I appreciate any info and opinions.

Comment

• teddy406
              Banned
              • Feb 2014

I believe that the majority of the MLB players used PERSONAL model gloves not professional. I think the pro models you could pick up in any stores that sold gloves. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• rick

There is a lot of misinformation floating around regarding game-used gloves, especially terms thrown around frequently such as “retail glove” vs “pro-model glove”. Gloves were either made for the retail market, or made for the professional player, and both could be, and frequently were, the same model number. The best example is the XPG-6 glove used by Mantle, as well as other professionals, including Sandy Koufax, and sold in retail stores as well. There were, however, substantial differences between XPG-6 gloves made for the retail market, and the ones made for the professionals. Experts such as Denny Esken, now doing authentication with John Taube at PSA, can tell the difference. Gloves made for professionals usually had some customizations (i.e. web, lacing, finger loops, lining, etc), and were always made from higher grade leathers than those used on gloves made for the retail market. Sometimes, a manufacturer used a different type of designation for a glove made for a professional, such as when Wilson used the CL designation for gloves made for professionals at their Chicago Leather facility in the 1950’s and 1960’s, but quite often there is no discernible difference in the glove’s stampings between them. I was able to physically examine a XPG-3 Herb Score glove from 1961 made for a professional, and the same model made for the retail market, and the differences were clear in the quality of the gloves.
                If you really want to know, you could send the gloves to PSA.
                Rick

-----------------------------
                My collection of Sandy Koufax memorabilia can be viewed at SandyKoufax32.com.

Comment

• teddy406
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2014

Good info. Thx. If it was me, I would send to Denny and get them authenticated. The Maris could be worth good money if legit.

Comment

• CTjerseys1964
                    • Oct 2013

Thanks for the info and help I do feel it would be worth having Mr Esken or John Taube look at both considering where they came from does anyone know how to contact either if them? Email address? Thanks

Comment

• 3arod13
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by CTjerseys1964
                      Thanks for the info and help I do feel it would be worth having Mr Esken or John Taube look at both considering where they came from does anyone know how to contact either if them? Email address? Thanks
                      new arrivals Add to cart Alex Rodriguez Signed Game Used Bat $1,799.00 Add to cart Sammy Sosa Game Used Bat $3,999.00 Add to cart Mike Trout Signed Game Worn Cap $799.00 Add to cart Frank Robinson Game Used Bat $19,999.00 [...]
                      Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 3arod13
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by CTjerseys1964
                        Jtbats@aol.com is John Taube's email
                        Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• CTjerseys1964
                          • Oct 2013

Thanks for his email address...just sent him pics...

Comment

• rick

John and Denny are great to work with. Please let us know how it works out.

Rick

Comment

• W_EISENHUTH
                              • Sep 2005

Here's a Bobby Murcer game used glove authenticated by PSA's Taube and Esken - a Yaz Professional model:

Comment

Working...